Rigid wicks that work for Soy/Veg wax?

It was suggested that I try the RRD wicks in my soy veg wax blend, which I plan to do, but can you tell me if these are rigid like the zinc wicks I use in my J223? I love the way you only have to straighten them by hand in the hot wax to get them to stand up straight and not have to use wick holders. Are the RRDs or any of the other wicks suitable for a soy/veg wax like this?

Thanks for any help -

VickiB in CA

Call Wick-it and ask for a sample pkg of their new Premier 700 series. I think they are very "stiff" and am testing now in soy. I use the square mason jar and the 755 was just a little to small, the 765 may be a little too hot. Going to try the 760, it should be perfect. We'll see, using the cd 14 now and it is not stiff like this one. 18663942548

FYI - Fil-tec charges $20 for their Ultra Core wicks samples. Wick-It will send them to you for free. I like that! :yay:

I ordered both as both seem to be what I'm looking for. Will post my reviews in the Soy/Veg blend when they arrive and I get around to testing them.

Wish I had got the idea to start switching to a soy blend a lot earlier in the year! It's too late now with Christmas season beginning. Maybe I can offer a few as I get them done??

VickiB in CA

Hemp wicks are rigid and work well in soy wax, but they do tend to mushroom at times!

I am currently testing with Hemp in my apothecary jars, and they are wonderful! No more curling wicks like RRDs and CD wicks.

Do you use them in sq. masons or hexes at all? Waiting for my sample pack to see which sizes work best.

Jordan

I am currently testing with Hemp in my apothecary jars, and they are wonderful! No more curling wicks like RRDs and CD wicks.

Do you use them in sq. masons or hexes at all? Waiting for my sample pack to see which sizes work best.

Jordan

I don't use those jars and since I changed to a soy/paraffin wax I now use LX wicks. If you can tell me the diameter of the jars, I can tell you which hemp worked best for me and that may give you a starting point!! :cool2:

Wow! Fil-tec really impressed me. I called yesterday to order a sample pack of their Ultra Core wicks and they justed arrived at my shop today! It was $20 for the samples but they overnighted them to me! I'm not sure this is their usual way of shipping but I'm so glad they did that for me. :yay: Now I can begin testing. I also ordered the Wick It Performa Series. Not sure when it will get here. Will post the results of double wicking the Ultra Cores in a 16 oz apothecary jar in the Calsoy CB3 (natural soy/veg blend).

Thanks for the suggestions!

VickiB in CA

Thanks for the response and suggestions. I've been testing both the Performa 700s and the Ultra Core wicks and have fallen in love with the Performas. I had to use a huge (almost the largest) UC to do the job so there was a bigger flame. I'm using much smaller sized Performas and they are even burning a bit hotter than I'd like and will have to wick down. AND the best part, they are so rigid I can just hand-set them after I pour the wax in the jar and tah-dah! :yay:

ps - the Ultra Cores may be just the ones you are looking for though - don't want to discourage anyone from trying them. They are an awesome company and great customer service and their wicks are also very rigid, just not what I was needing for my wax blend.

Thanks!

Oops! You're right - Those are Premiers :embarasse Not sure on the minimum order on those.

I do know this - When I get completely switched over to soy, I'm going to have about 10,000 wicks from Wicks Unlimited to unload! :tongue2: They are so awesome in the J223 and also very rigid. But there is a 10,000 minimum with them.

Thanks for the correction -

VickeyB, I use the square mason and tried the 765 but on the third burn it's not getting to the sides. My computer crashed last week and I lost everything:sad2:.. Wish I had all my soap and lotion. bath and body in my AZZ file backed up. Anyway, I haven't gotten back to testing. What size jar and wick size are you having luck with? TIA

Back up those files!!!!!!!

Not sure if I can help you. I use the 16 oz apothecary jars and I'm double wicking. Somewhere around the 770 seems to be working for me.

I believe at my shop I have the page that lists the burn variables of each of the wicks. Will try to locate it and post what I find.

Here - how's this:

Wick-It Premier 700 Series Wicks

WI-700 - 710 = Tealights

710 - 730 = Votives

710 - 720 = 1-2" Pillar

710 - 735 = 1-2" Container

725 - 767 = 2-3" Pillar

735 - 767 = 2-3" Container

750 - 767 = 3" Pillar

755 - 795 = 3-4" Pillar

755 - 798 = 3-4" Container

780 - 798 = 4" Pillar