Wall Plug Diffusers

TxSioux

I have one of the 'WallFlower' plug-ins from BBW - can't say it impressed me all that much. It was a gift from my Mom & I just ran across it in 'the junk drawer' that we all have! I know they sell refills for these, but got to thinking about refilling it myself. Do yall think it can be done? If so, can I use straight fo? Even though this is 'heated' by electricity, I can't see a real issue w/flashpoint -- am I on the right track or missing some logical issue? This is kinda like that new show about being smarter than a 5th grader, so thought I'd get a group vote!!

Susan.

Ok, I tried this the other day. First of all, it is a b*tch to get the fuzzy "wick" thing out to get oil back in the bulb, but it is possible with some time, effort, and tools. I almost poked my eye out with the needlenose pliers. Second, they must cut the oils with something mysterious. I tried straight FO and then tried it with cyclo (I have no idea why...LOL...just an experiment) and I couldn't get much scent throw. In fact, I think the minimal scent throw I was getting was primarily from FO spilled on my counters!

I would love to know what they mix the FO with though. I'd also love it if a supplier would develop refill bulbs for these so we can easily offer customers refills and not have to destroy the original bulbs trying to get the cap off (the BBW bulbs are definitely not a screw off cap--more of a "pull with all your might until the mangled lid pops off cap")

I have also tried to refill one (not from BBW) and it didn't work but I don't think the wick took up the oil. Bought one from someplace online that was supposed to be refillable. It was easier to do and the directions said to use any FO (didn't say to add anything else) but when I plugged it in I didn't get much of a scent. The oil holder didn't even seem warm after being plugged in so I just figured it was a piece of junk & threw it away. Don't remember the site but they were also selling air scenters for cars & they sold pads that you could use to refill it with any oil you wanted to use. I was just glad i hadn't wasted more money buying that too!

I use these and sell them also for use with essential oils. They're ScentBalls and have a removable pad. It takes about 5-10 minutes to heat up; if you put too much oil on the pad (as I learned) it will blow you out of the room.

Jennifer

I have also tried to refill one (not from BBW) and it didn't work but I don't think the wick took up the oil. Bought one from someplace online that was supposed to be refillable. It was easier to do and the directions said to use any FO (didn't say to add anything else) but when I plugged it in I didn't get much of a scent. The oil holder didn't even seem warm after being plugged in so I just figured it was a piece of junk & threw it away. Don't remember the site but they were also selling air scenters for cars & they sold pads that you could use to refill it with any oil you wanted to use. I was just glad i hadn't wasted more money buying that too!

Well, thanks all ... good to know I'm not the only one sitting around trying to beat the system, ha! Erin, your post had me laughing SO hard. I would love to see how you got that thing open & then filled. The glass bulb does unscrew, but it's backwards -- to the right to unscrew & to the left to screw back in. I can't imagine having no throw. Really makes ya wonder what the secret is, huh!

Susan.

Don't these things need the oils to be "cut" w/ something, like that DPG, in order for it to be "wicked" up?

I know, I have one in my car, refilled it w/ a bit of one of BCN's 1/2 oz sniffie, and it didn't budge...still have it in the car, don't know why, tho...:rolleyes2

I too have tried everything (cyclo, vodka, 91% alcohol, straight fo, dpg, fragrance enhancer from C&S that I use for the reeds) nothing has worked. The only think that came close was the fragrance enhancer and it did an ok job for about 3 days and then nothing. So I give up!

Hmmm....we need a supplier to figure out this mystery so we can use these! I have about 2 thousand of the wallflowers and I hate to toss them because the moment I do someone will discover how to refill them and get them to throw!

Susan-LOL...yeah, that's right! I forgot about the bulb unscrewing backwards from the wallflower piece (maybe that was BBWs attempt to keep people from tampering with the product!). The lid to the bulb is defintely NOT a screw cap though...LOL...I am such a clutz and I'm lucky I'm still alive after trying to rip that cap/wick off the top of the bulb!

babyrn-Wow...what made you think to do vodka?...LOL...Not sure that would've even crossed my mind!!!

That is sooooo funny! I too tried this and lost! I even tried bypassing the removal of the wick by "injecting" oil through the wick and into the bottle via a syringe and needle ( I'm a nurse)...outside of squirting alot of oil everywhere...the little bit I managed to get in the bottle did nothing!

babyrn-Wow...what made you think to do vodka?...LOL...Not sure that would've even crossed my mind!!!

One recipe for room/linen spray calls for grain alcohol. Everclear is the 1st choice because of the high % of alcohol. I never got far enough to start messing w/ the 'wick', but now I see that sucker is attached quite securely. I was wondering why the refills were the whole glass bulb -- guess it's because of the super-human wick & the secret carrier for the fo. Someone HAS to know the secret, but it sounds like we've all tried the usual suspects.

Susan.

Hmmm....we need a supplier to figure out this mystery so we can use these! I have about 2 thousand of the wallflowers and I hate to toss them because the moment I do someone will discover how to refill them and get them to throw!

Depending on the type of vodka you buy it is basically 99% alcohol. Alot of "natural perfumers" make colognes and body sprays with it. I ran across the idea on the web when I googled body spray bases. Most states have laws where you cannot resell the spray if you have used vodka. I tried mixing the vodka, cyclo, & fo and it made a really good spray:) .

• 3 years later...
Hmmm....we need a supplier to figure out this mystery so we can use these!

I'm not a supplier, but I do work for a fragrance manufacturer and we sell oils to companies that sell plug-ins.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely you'll be able to successfully make a refill on your own. for a few reasons.

1 - the oils are designed to disperse scent at the temperature setting of the unit. your oils and diluents may not work at that temp

2 - the wick has a limited life. it's probably saturated and clogging as the container is reaching empty.

3 - plus the wicks clog easily. again, we design oils that will work with those particular wicks.

Even more important - you should NOT make your own. The oils for these things are made to fit quite strict safety guidelines - both in terms of what is formed and released as the oils are heated (these things run 24-7, yanno - so a lot gets into the air), and for flash point.

OH good points! I wasn't about to mess with the ones that are store bought, I was really hoping for someone to say that there is a kit somewhere, or that a supplier sells all the stuff to make them. Man, I wish they did!!!