To those who make soap, and use on small children...

leisa2003

I use CP for kids -

For babies I would say castile (0%+ olive oil), generally unscented or possibly with some lavender EO (though in the light of recent studies you may want to avoid this). No color.

For older kids (mine are 5 & 7) any mild CP soap with fun fruity scents and colors.

I use CP for kids -

For older kids (mine are 5 & 7) any mild CP soap with fun fruity scents and colors.

I ditto this!(Except I HP):cool2: My kids are 9,7 and 3. If I didn't use any scent or color they would be highly disappointed! One of the reasons I got into soap making was that my kids, especially my daughter have sensitive skin. Almost every soap I tried, burned or irritated her bottom.(TMI) But I have no problem with any soaps I have made. She is thrilled she can even use bath fizzies and such as long as I make them. She never got to have any of those fun things before. I have also found that if I bath my 3 year old with a food scented soap such as chocolate or gingerbread, then tell him that it's so he will taste better when I eat him. It makes him giggle so much he forgets to complain! :P

I use CP for kids -

For babies I would say castile (0%+ olive oil), generally unscented ***

No color.

Ditto!!

Although, my kids usually use whatever scent I have on hand that they think is "cool looking mom" lol.

When making something specifically for them however, I do make it with a fruity/fun type scent that you generally think of kids with though. Like bubble gum, rootbeer, cotton candy, jolly rancher, etc.,

(*** I edited the quote because with my castile soap I don't use any scent or color at all)

I had a terribly overheated rebatch I had to do with a mostly olive oil (but some lard, coconut and castor) and Black Cherry FO and after I heated it, it stayed soft for a long time... I used a gingerbread man cookie cutter and cut it into little man shapes and then shaped the scraps into soap balls. They LOVE them. My 15 mo old holds the little man the whole time during bathtime (does a number on the soap being in the water the entire time though lol). I had added a teabag to the soap the first time around (pre-rebatch lol) so it was pretty dark soap and the cookie cutter idea just came to me. I don't think I could recreate that batch if I had to (which is a shame cause the soap is awesome and does great washing their hair too). Of course that batch took FOREVER to cure...

I'm about to make some cocoa butter and shea soap (I've been saying that for 2 weeks now lol)... was planning on using it during the cold weather, but it'll be warm before it's done... oh well... I have two who get really dry skin and I've been putting off making it cause I've been debating on the FO if any lol......

-Kristi

I use CP for kids -

For babies I would say castile (0%+ olive oil), generally unscented or possibly with some lavender EO (though in the light of recent studies you may want to avoid this). No color.

So, what do the studies say? Is EO kinda bad for the skin or something? Just curious!!

I have goats milk soap (mp), but would like to thy shea butter, which one is better for dry skin?

Thanks!!!! Leisa

Coming back to read others suggestions, I realized I never finished my first post. That's what I get for playing when I should be working.

I agree that any castile or gm soap will be good for kids. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to give a child any handmade soap - I just try for more non-scented, non-colored ones or lighter fragrances.

Oh there's a bit of inconclusive research showing a potential link between lavender EO and boys developing breasts. There is at least one thread on it around - probably more.

Wow!!! And although I never cared much for lavender, I would have never thought about its links in anyway with boys and breasts!!!:shocked2:

It was kinda funny here that though!!! :cheesy2:

Leisa

My DD is 4 and has been using my HP soap since I began making it about 8 months ago. I started using the "naked" soap on her, but she wanted to try one of everything I make ( you know how girls are! ). She may have more soaps in her bathroom than I have in my shower! She has sensitive skin and has never had a problem with anything I've made, most of which have quite a bit of scent. HTH

I make these huge (nearly 8 oz.) Oatmeal milk and honey bears. The mom's of kids who have eczema really love them! Something fun for thier kids to use.

Bethany

I suffer from eczema, doe's that type of soap really help alot?

I am currently using the goats milk (m&p) and don't notice much moisturizing, but just started using it.

If this is good for eczema, would you mind e-mailing me on how to make soap with Oatmeal milk, and the Honey??/

Or anyone else that knows how too, would be fine!!!!

Thanks....Leisa

Leisa, I have found the only soap my eczema-troubled kids and I can handle is CP or HP soap. I'm in the MP swap to see if there are additives that will be soothing to us, or will help prevent the reactions, but in the meantime I'm totally thrilled at what making my owns soap (thanks again Eugenia) has done for us. I'm gonna have to find some of those big teddy bear molds!