Traitors!!!

Just need to vent. I just walked over to the Clerk's office to get a snack, and there were two candles burning, but they werent mine!!!! :(:(:( Now I am wondering why they don't like my candles. They have bought from me before, and even recently placed some orders for tarts. The ladies across the street in the Prosecutors Office just ordered more this morning :mad: Ugghhh! This is the first time this has happened to me, so I guess my ego is busted a bit and I'm not real sure how to handle this. I know I make a great candle, and they have even commented before how they liked them. Any suggestions on how to get them to buy from me again????????????

Oh man, that is a bummer, and an ego buster for sure. :(

I think I would simply go up to them and ask them about the candles they are burning. Maybe they were a gift from someone else who knows??? How else are you gonna know the "whys" of it?

Maybe offer a special deal to them on their next purchase. ;)

Hang in there, you know you have a good candle, and you just have to remember that you can't please ALL of the people ALL of the time.

What a bummer! :(

I would just ask them. Let them know you're not upset, just curious. Find out if they purchased them any why. Maybe there was a scent you don't have or it the scent is just a bit different. Maybe they liked the looks of them for some reason. It may feel uncomfortable, but try asking what you could do to improve yours "in their opinion" or asking how you could win them back over. It may be something innocent or simple. Or just a matter of preference. Even if they don't prefer yours, don't take it personally. Look at all of us and all the different waxes, techniques, wicks, scents, etc that each of us prefer. One person says a wax has a fantastic throw, another persons says it has none. Unfortunately, not everyone will like yours best, sadly, just as all of us don't like the same things. If there were one "perfect" formula, we'd all be making identical ones. If you can win them back as customers, great, if not, just keep on pouring. There will be a lot of people who DO prefer yours! :)

In an ideal world, the folks who bought candles from us would only burn OUR candles...however, we live in the REAL world, where there are tons of candle makers, tons of places to buy them, and tons of different tastes. It's understandable that your ego would be a teeny bit bruised..but when you used to buy candles...were you loyal to one brand and one brand only? I know I was ALWAYS chasing after a better candle..or different scents that my favorite candle maker didn't have...and never once did it cross my mind that I was being disloyal to that company..as I'm sure the girls in the Clerks office aren't feeling in the slightest bit disloyal to you, I hope that's not what you expect from them. Because you're bound to feel this disappointment over and over again if that's the case. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh...like I said, I can understand feeling a little bummed out, but I also think it's a little unfair to expect that people who buy your candles will only burn YOUR candles.

I completly agree with Sharon, there are so many candles to choose from, and you can not possibly offer every scent and style available. That and consumers like to comapre and make choices. For example, say you like Mcdonalds Hamburgers, but you go over to Burger King, and hey! thier hambergurs are good too. That does not mean that Mcdonalds hamburgers are no longer any good, or that you will never go to Mcdonalds again, it just means you tried something different.

They might be burning that candle , thinking it's not as good as yours and wishing they had bought from you. You never know.

I sell to a big office a couple of towns away and found out that they were buying other candles besides mine. That bummed me out big time but I asked a couple of them why and what exactly sold them on the other candles. I found out that the candles they bought from someone else were soy candles and mine of course were not. They were sold on the "you can dip your hands in the hot wax and use it as lotion" deal. Even though I personally don't believe in that I kept my mouth shut and later that month one of the candles exploded and caught one of the office trash cans on fire :eek: !! They only buy from me now.

Just ask questions, find out why and go from there.

you're gonna come across that a lot in this business. Last year I offered to make candle favors for my niece for her wedding, for free no less, as part of her wedding gift. She never gave me an answer and when I sat down at the table at the reception, she had Yank-- votives as the favors. You'll also find people who will go to the dollar store or WalMart and buy them just because they're cheap. That's people for ya! Don't let it get you down.

Trae

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to bring up old stuff, but I have an update on this...today I finally found out more about those other candles. Evidently, as I learned today, our secretary is now making candles and that is were they came from. Fine, great, I'm happy for her. It just gets me because early on she was always asking me about if making candles was hard, were I got my supplies, etc... Now I know why. I wish she just would have said Hey, I would love to learn how to do that could ya help me out? It just makes it very akward now. I'm not angry at her for making them, just a little peeved the way she went about letting it be known.:mad: Sorry guys, its just been a REALLY bad last few weeks (business and personal wise), and it just doesn't seem to end. I am sure I am completely over reacting, but I can't help it.:sad2:

I have different things to offer. (1) Go back in your memory bank to when you were a candle consumer--did you only buy one brand? I doubt it. (2) Did you have favorite scents, that you maybe didn't want to waste by burning at work, you wanted to save it for a special night at home with your sweetie? So, try to look at it in a positive way that they will come back to your candles. As for the soy thing...whatever!! Some people fall for the lotion thing and others don't care as long as it smells good.

As for your secretary, don't act bitter--you have competition and that will light your fire to sell more, etc. It's better to come out on top of a pile than be the only person standing ALONE. Get what I'm saying? Take this as a test of your commitment to your product. Go get em girl!

One day... I was so upset with my husband over something..and all he could say...was"Do you really think I wake each morning thinking"How can I hurt you today...21 years later...when I get upset...at him..I remember the conversation we had years ago...and have to laugh a little over it...I have never looked at him the same...since...People have multi freinds,party's,fundraisers etc..etc...Like going to the market to buy this or that...Some people can't resist a salesperson...Just like a women buying more then one set of shoes and buying more then one brand....Kind regards,linda

Thanks guys, I really need to hear some positive things right now. I'm not angry at our secretary for making candles, not at all. Its just the way it all happened, and the timing of it...with everything else going on it just got to me more than it should. It really has got me thinking though about how to push my product and get it out there more. So, it will end up being a positive thing for me in the end to have competition so close, right now I am just trying to figure out how.