Idiot Alert ~ Don't Do As I Do

All righty, then. So I pour a rustic pillar today, and I'm a bit anxious to see how it turned out. So once it's cooled, I invert the mold, take off the mold sealer, and it slides an inch or so out, but then stops. So I gently pull by the wick ... anyone cringing yet? Ummmm....yeah, out comes the entire friggin' wick. ACK! Hey, that trick has always worked BEFORE. :grin2:

(BTW, the pillar DID look fairly decent though. :laugh2: )

All righty, then. So I pour a rustic pillar today, and I'm a bit anxious to see how it turned out. So once it's cooled, I invert the mold, take off the mold sealer, and it slides an inch or so out, but then stops. So I gently pull by the wick ... anyone cringing yet? Ummmm....yeah, out comes the entire friggin' wick. ACK! Hey, that trick has always worked BEFORE. :grin2:

(BTW, the pillar DID look fairly decent though. :laugh2: )

Weird. :D I almost always tug the wick from the opposite side to make it come out if it doesn't slide out. Sounds like it hadn't cooled enough in the middle, you prolly tipped it too early since you were so anxious to see how it came out. :D

LOL @ Pam. Well luckily I was burning an unscented candle made of that same wax at the time, so I dipped the wick into the melt pool, let it stiffen, and jammed that puppy back into the candle. Took some doing, but with a little help from a wooden skewer, I managed to get it done. heh heh

This one was just a test burner anyway, but assuming I've got the wicking right, I hope I don't screw the rest of 'em up -- 'cos I need EIGHT. LOL

If you used wick pins that wouldn't happen. ROFLMAO :P

I found that it was best for me to pour my pillars in the evening, so that by morning when I woke up, they were cool enough for me to look at without runining them! :grin2:

Yeah, I do that with soap. Put it to bed, then go to bed myself. Why can't I just do this with candles? Oh yeah, that's right. I have an order for eight rustic pillars, and I only have ONE mold. lol Well I actually have two, but only one is seamless. :embarasse

Anybody got a few seamless 3x6's they can spare? :D:laugh2:

That is why I have a very thin knitting needle.....I can heat it with my heat gun and open the hole to re wick........you would think I would have learned by now....but NOOOOOOOOOOO.......I get in a hurry to see my candle. Opps!!!!!!! Donita Louise

I love wick pins for votives, but I really hate using them for pillars. For some reason, mine don't work right. I think they are crooked -- off-center, kwim? They just don't hit center right. :mad:

Get something to hold them in place lol! I have a little caps for mine (lack of better definition)

Yeah, I do that with soap. Put it to bed, then go to bed myself. Why can't I just do this with candles? Oh yeah, that's right. I have an order for eight rustic pillars, and I only have ONE mold. lol Well I actually have two, but only one is seamless. :embarasse

Anybody got a few seamless 3x6's they can spare? :D:laugh2:

If I could only do one at a time, I would go insane!

LMAO :laugh2: I just did this very same dam thing last night on a 4x6 pillar I was making as a belated VD gift for my daughter's MIL. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I was so I mad like to have never got that wick back in. I was hurrying to get it done for my daughter to pick up yesterday afternoon and then the little turd didn't come by for it.