How do you handle this situation?

ebarnes

This is a conversation I had this weekend w/someone at an event. Her: Hi, how are you?Me: Im fine how are you?Her: I make candles as well, you use Soy I see...well I use Palm wax & its better than Soy. Me: OK have a good dayHer: Well I now sell candles here also.Me: OK2 hours laterMy Friend: Hey how are youMe: Im FineMy Friend: Hey there is a lady at the other end telling people that you mix your soy w/parrifin & that she has all natural products & you dont?What do you do? I will tel you how i handle it later.

This is a conversation I had this weekend w/someone at an event. Her: Hi, how are you?Me: Im fine how are you?Her: I make candles as well, you use Soy I see...well I use Palm wax & its better than Soy. Me: OK have a good dayHer: Well I now sell candles here also.Me: OK2 hours laterMy Friend: Hey how are youMe: Im FineMy Friend: Hey there is a lady at the other end telling people that you mix your soy w/parrifin & that she has all natural products & you dont?What do you do? I will tel you how i handle it later.

Nothing....keep doing what you do best. Karma will slap her right back in the face. She is the one telling lies and making herself look stupid.

I was at a craft show with a friend of mine and some lady came up to her and told her that her candles were better because they were made out of wax and that mine weren't:confused: . I told my friend to ignore her because the lady was an idiot. She was just mad because we had more people at our table.

You take off from your table like the woman on "WaterBoy" at the end going after her husband!!! You tackel her table , get up brush your self off. Look her right in the eye and say " your candles are mixed with glass, thats not considered natural." And walk away :P

Just Kidding

Paula

You take off from your table like the woman on "WaterBoy" at the end going after her husband!!! You tackel her table , get up brush your self off. Look her right in the eye and say " your candles are mixed with glass, thats not considered natural." And walk away :P

Just Kidding

Paula

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I had a similiar situation happen with me last November at a Holiday craft show. Mind you, my table was constantly busy so I didn't have time to notice the traffic at hers...she was in the front (a regular to this event) and I, being the newbie at this event was tucked away in the back around a corner. Needless to say, when she approaced me about the whole Soy vs. Parffin debate (I blend soy and parffin) I smiled politely and acted as though I was interested in what she had to say. My response to her was what I say to all of my customers....I stated the benefits and what I believe are the high points of "my" candles. I didn't debate with her. When she was finished "schooling" me, I thanked her for sharing her knowledge and turned my attention back to my business. I guess the point is that, no matter what you use to make your candles, someone else is going to think theirs are better, healthier, safer, prettier, whatever. I simply keep my mind focused on my goals and objectives, take whatever advice is offered, negative or positive and either try it, use it or lose it. I'm assuming she wasn't doing to well or felt somewhat threatened by a little competition, or maybe she's just one of those types of people...mightier than thou.

When it happened to me, by a newbie noless, I just printed out a large sign on my computer that said 100% soy wax candles since ... The fact that I was able to say how many years I been in business assured my customers that I knew what I was doing and able to answer their question without looking at some script. My jars were open for inspection as well as sniffing and I had a tester that was better than halfway tested burning to prove I knew how to properly wick my candles. The scent was Amish Harvest and it threw great! I said nothing about the other chandler who was busy trying to run me down. my proof was right there. What more could me said? My candles and customers said it all.

Silence and proof are the best weapons against silly newbies.

Fire

Just Kidding

Paula

LOL...that would be me. Luckily I usually have someone with me to grab me by the shirt and hold me back. devil.gif

Just kidding too, but I like how Paula thinks! hello.gif

OK but moi wouldn't keep her mouth shut.

I would probably make a visit to the booth and ask her not to help promote my product since she is not familiar with it and off-handedly I would probably ask her why she sells Mia Bella (whether she does or not) and doesn't make her own. I would eventually close with suggesting she put more time into researching and learning about candlemaking because she's enhancing fallacies that only chase off customers.

Then again I would be tempted to send someone over there and shriek poison in the middle of her booth. (I said tempted, but I wouldn't follow through.)

So how did you handle it? I'm kind of hoping she has a black eye. :highfive:

I actually walked over to her booth and she started with her sales pitch (Hi how are you, I make my own candles etc.........) I was like I remember we spoke this morning. I then said I used 100% soy wax, no mixers and I dont cut it with Parrafin. My friend told me that you told her that "The guy on the other end uses parrafin and soy" Well I just want to let you know again that I used 100% soy.

When I used to work the craft shows in New England back in the day, people weren't so fixated on the type of wax you used, but they'd sure get huffy over the look and scent. I always used a lot of essential oils, so mine were usually different from everyone else's. I got a few dirty comments, such as "his candles are poisonous!" but I sold tons anyways...to the people who knew better.

Here though, since we have a monopoly in our area, no one questions us or our work. We did, however, get one fruity old lady at the pulguero when we were setting up our tree display...she claimed that she could make our trees better than us and sell them cheaper than us (we were selling them for $20 each...I sold them for $30 and up in the states at the craft shows over a decade ago). We were waiting for her to come set up a booth and put us out of business...this was last October...we're still waiting. :D

One thing you can tell people who bug you about the "purity" of candles is that NO candle is EVER "pure" or "100% natural" no matter WHAT you use. Soy wax, even soy wax that claims to be 100% pure, isn't. There are ALWAYS additives added, it's necessary to make the wax in the first place. Same goes for palm wax. But of course, don't let the facts get in the way of a good "mine is better than theirs" sales pitch...

I actually walked over to her booth and she started with her sales pitch (Hi how are you, I make my own candles etc.........) I was like I remember we spoke this morning. I then said I used 100% soy wax, no mixers and I dont cut it with Parrafin. My friend told me that you told her that "The guy on the other end uses parrafin and soy" Well I just want to let you know again that I used 100% soy.

You're killing me with the suspense here! What what was her response?

I too believe in karma so I'd probably carry on about my business and tell the customers the facts about my candles. My hubby on the other hand would have different ideas as he's very outspoken and extremely good at putting people in their place,lol!

Thats why I love this group...as a newbie, its hard to find answers. You depend on others "helping" you and not harming you. I make mp soap...its what I love. But it always seems that people pipe in adn say that its easy. Well, its not to me...You have to find suppliers...try different versions..get the coloring and FO just right...packaging...and now I am hopelessly trying to start an on line business! My point...sorry, I trailed off...is that you must have SUPPORT and not people that want to put you down at every step. If I saw someone that had a product similar to mine...I would ask questions...not put it down because competion. I look at it this way...there are more customers than there are makers...there is plenty to go around. My focus is on perfecting my craft...not tearing down someone elses.

Sorry, this isnt much advise...just a venting...lol

I feel your pain. I personally use a blend of parrafin waxes so the criticism can get pretty harsh at times. I run into people like this at every show I have ever done. My personal weapon of choice is silence. I am there to promote my product not to enter into a war of the waxes. But if it helps any I have noticed every time someone starts this at a show my sales really go up because the people get curious. While I am testing soy for certain products right now, I have to say that we, candle makers, are there to sell our candles and not health food. If the fact that your candles are soy and that is your main marketing point then you may want to make a couple of signs pointing this out so you can spend more time selling your product and not clarifying to customers what some other moron is saying. If this is a local person and you continue to have this problem with them I would consider saying something to the forum that hosts the event because there comes a point and time when their rights to freedom of speech end and your right to make money begins. If one can prove that the false statements made are hurting ones sales there could be a liability factor at play here.