My Candle is Still Smoking!!!!

I have made a 2nd candle after my 1st attempt smoked alot,

I used a smaller wick 3x18C Cotton Core (last time I used 3X20C) which I dipped in wax before pouring.

10oz beaded paraffin wax

Maraschino Cherry Fragrance Oil

1/2 Cinnamon Red Colour Chip

When I lit the candle it started flickering alot (the flame didnt stay steady) and there was ALOT of smoke like my 1st ever attempt!! I followed advice of using a smaller wick and it hasnt helped!! :sad2:

CandleSmoke.png

Don't know if it's just glare, but the flame looks way big too, and yes, good photo of smoke. I can see it. I have no experience with paraffin beads but this does look problematic. How much fo did you use?

Edited to add: Sprite beat me to it. We were posting at the same time, so sorry for the repeat questions! (Honest, they weren't there when I was typing my post. lol)

i used 15ml of fragrance oil in 10oz of wax

what type of wax would you say is the best to use?

i used the recommended size wick for the width of the candle and i trimmed the wick to a 1/4 inch.

So do you think it might be the parafin wax?

Ack! I can convert grams to ounces and vice versa, but my brain does not register with the "ml" thing. ;) You want to add your fragrance by weight, not metric volume. :)

From the height of your flame and the soot coming off the wick, I'd say your wick is still too big.

I'm sorry, I need to go back to bed I guess. Somehow I got CD out of cotton core :rolleyes2 and I've never used them:confused: .

I know alot of people are against them but so far I like zinc the best.

Also, I use this conversion chart if anyone is interested

http://www.peteducation.com/category_summary.cfm?cls=0&Cat=1305

Thanks for all the help, the confusing thing is that they seem to measure wick differently here in the UK, so I dont know what these measurements are in our terms! LOL!!

here they are measured like 3x16C, 3x18C, 3x20C etc... (the C stands for cotton)

So do you think I would stand a better chance using zinc cored wick?? I have found a store in the UK that sells zinc core that is 44-24-18!! Shall I try that out?

Ah, I did not know you were in the UK. That would explain why *I've* never heard of those wicks either. LOL

I use zinc core wicks in paraffin container candles. For pillars, I use good old fashioned flat-braid wick. Not sure what name that would go by in the UK though.

I'm using J223 for my containers. I've never tried the zinc for my pillars and I haven't made very many but LX wicks worked good for me. Scented has some amazing pillars in the gallery. She could give you better advice on those.

the diameter is 3"

LOL just so you know one teaspoon = 5ml so 15ml is 3 teaspoons!! :grin2:

What wick do you all use????

And for fluids that are the same density (actually specific gravity, but no need to differentiate here) as water, 1 ml = 1 gram.

Most FOs are NOT the same as water though, so don't go by volume - use weight instead.