FO % based on dry or wet weight???

I think I may have stumbled upon the troubles I am having with hot throw.

Do you calculate your FO percentage based on the solid weight or liquid weight of the wax?

My 9 oz. containers are filled, when using 6.6 oz of wax when weighed as a solid. So I base my FO % based on 6.6 oz. Is this where I am coming up short on hot throw... too little FO?

{ADD} I'd imagine this is where I am messing up as you add FO's when the wax is liquid. I'd just like verification of my thought (and yes, I only have one :)).

Weight is weight no matter what form. If you have a lb of solid it will still be lb in it's liquid state.

Most people use anywhere from .5 - 1.5 oz of FO per lb of wax depending on many variables, such as, what type of wax they are using to what type and quality of FO they are using.

The average however is 1 oz per lb of wax.

Without any more info than what you gave, I have no idea what percent you are actually using in your formula or what type of wax and FO you are using so it's gonna be hard for people to respond. :)

A liquid oz is different than a solid oz, no? I understand weight is weight regardless; so I wasn't clear in my first post.

I currently am using 6006. For my previous testers:

6.6 oz solid wax

0.6 oz FO which is a bit over 8%

If I go based on liquid oz:

8.28 oz liquid wax

0.72 oz wax (8%) That's about 20% more FO than the 8% using solid weight of wax.

A liquid oz is different than a solid oz, no? I understand weight is weight regardless; so I wasn't clear in my first post.

I currently am using 6006. For my previous testers:

6.6 oz solid wax

If I go based on liquid oz:

8.28 oz liquid wax

0.72 oz wax (8%) That's about 20% more FO than the 8% using solid weight of wax.

Sorry, I thought you were refering to weight, not fluid ounces. Fluid ounces will be different than weights depending on the substance.

For instance 20 fl. oz of water will equal 20 weighed oz or water, but 16oz of paraffin wax will equal approx. 20 fluid oz of p. wax. 16 oz of soy wax will equal approx. 18 oz of fluid s. wax. So it will vary. Even different types of FO the weight will vary between fl. ounces and weighed ounces.

By using volumes (aka fl. ounces) you will have inconsistenties in your formula. I don't use volumes, so I can't help you. I always go by weight so that my formulas are consistent.

That may be what the issue is. You might want to invest in a good digital scale and go by weights. :)

I do use a digital scale. I was just wondering if I base my 8% off of the 6.6 solid weight of wax, or the 9 oz. fluid.

I am still a bit confuzzed... maybe not confuzzed as I understand what you all are saying, I just can't answer my question yet.

So if you were to make a container candle and it's a 9 oz. jar (which is filled when 6.6 oz solid wax is liquified) and you wanted to add 8% FO, what weight of FO would you add?

It really doesn't matter for FO load how many fluid ounces your jar holds. If you know that jar holds 6.6oz by weight then only calculate using this weight. The only time that you need to worry about how many fluid oz. is when you are weighing out your wax for melting, to know how much to melt for how many jars.

This is way easier than you are making it.

A lb of the 6006 I use is exactly at the 2 1/2 cup mark on my pyrex. I then add dye plus 1 to 1.5 oz of my fo.

If I want to use 2 lbs of wax for the same scent, I measure out 5-one cup measuring cups of the melted wax and add 2-3 oz of fo. This makes for a very full 4 cup pyrex cup, but it works!

6.6 oz solid wax

This is exactly the right way to do it. In this example you have 8.33% FO (0.6 divided by 7.2).

You base the FO amount on the weight of the wax, meaning the weight on a scale. What you're calling liquid weight isn't weight at all. When you measure melted wax based on how much it fills up a container, you're measuring volume. That's called "fluid ounces" and it's a completely different type of ounce.

First off, forget about what the jar is "called". A '9 oz'. jar may or may not hold exactly 9 oz. so don't try and figure too precisely.

Second, forget about fluid oz. Soys and paraffins and para-soy blends will all yield different volumes based on equal weights.

I am assuming you test, so when you start with a new size jar, and you're using say, a 9 oz. jar, make up 11 oz. of wax. Add your FO based on that 11 oz. Then tare your scale with the jar on it and fill to your desired fill line and note the weight. Now you know how much it holds and can always make as much or as little as you need for 'X' amount of jars. (Although, after it's totally cooled and shrunk a bit, you might find you've got room for a smidge more).

Your additives and oils should always be measured based on the weight of the wax (not volume) and the additives themselves should also be figured and measured by weight, not volume such as tsp. or Tbsp.

I NEVER ever use volume for anything. There's no need to. It doesn't matter how much volume your jar holds, you should be filling it based on weight, since that what you're label's should be indicating.

Containers will even vary slightly so fill lines will vary.....AND, the temperature of your wax when pouring will affect your fill lines as well, so you should always fill by weight.

If you've got a jar that you know holds 8oz. and you're going to make 10 of them, you know you need 80 oz. of total weight, that would include wax, additives and FO. Simple.