ISO herbal heating pads

erinmfritz

I don't know what else to call it. It is a small "pillow" with herbs in it (and maybe rice)that you can put in the microwave for up to 3 minutes to heat up and works like a heating pad. You can also put it in the freezer and use it cool.

I purchased one of these and use it alot. I would like to know how to make my own. Does anyone know what these are and how to make them?

:yay: :yay: :yay:

Thanks for the diy site. That is exactly what I was looking for, I think. What exactly is flax seed? I know nothing about aromatherapy, what other things could be put inside this and withstand the microwave & freezer? (I store mine in a ziplock bag in the freezer, it's great for bumps & bruises for my girls) I've had mine for a couple years and it is getting a funny smell now when I heat it.

You can find flaxseed at whole food type stores, they sell it in bulk. I have seen it at Walmart and Target in packages but I can't remember what section of the store I found it in. Some people also use deer corn and rice. I prefer flaxseed but I am wanting to try the deer corn some day too. hth

Just FYI.... You will want to put a small bowl of water in the microwave when you heat one of these up, otherwise you can damage the micro

I have been heating these in my microwave for some time now (several months for the herbal - years for the deer corn and flax) - what type of damage have you experienced? I make these herbal heat wraps, both with various herbs and with no herbs.....I would like to know what to watch out for. I also gave these as gifts to lots of elderly folks :confused: sure would hate to cause problems for them.....

I had one that came with directions to put the water in. I did it for the first couple of months but then forgot... No damage that I've noticed. I think there might be a greater risk of scorching the wraps, though - I HAVE seen scorch marks showing up.

Just my experience though - don't know WHY the instructions were included (btw, I got mine from the pharmacy - not from a crafter)

All the "deer corn" at Walmart is is whole shelled corn. Depending on how many of these wraps you are gonna make you can get corn cheaper at a feed store. I prefer the flax seed for mine as it's a much finer consistancy and molds better to whatever area you are trying to warm. Again, if you plan to make more that one or two warmers look into getting flax seed from a feed store. I know where I live that the flax seed in the health food or grocery store is 4-6 dollars for a small bag. I have fed flax to my horses and think I paid about $30 for a 50# sack. Just to add that I have made some larger warmers that I will heat up before I go to bed, I put them down by my feet which seem to always be cold. I guess I better go get a couple new ones made today or tomorrow as they are predicting -26 for the low on Saturday and -50 windchills YIKES

This site is very interesting, especially about the bug eggs.

Does anyone use the corn bags, and if so, can they be stored in the freezer like the one I use now? It really comes in handy cold too.

I use the corn and freeze them - just put in a zip lock bag prior to putting in the freezer - freeze for a couple of hours and they are good to go!

I didn't read the above mentioned site but I zap mine (in the microwave) for 3 minutes at a time 3 times - this is said to zap any bugs that might be in the corn or whatever you might be using. Since they are using the corn in an accredited hospital, I feel fairly certain that they are safe and bug free. course I still believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny! :grin2:

I don't have the web site for the hospital information but feel certain if you google heat bags and Arizona hospital you will find all her information and the hoops she had to jump through in order to get her bags approved. I think it is all a matter of preference....Heat helps what ails you so the manner in which it is applied is just your personal preference.

Debbie

I have used the Buckwheat hulls and they seem to be heavy but smells great when heated. I currently use the Flaxseed and prefer these because they aren't heavy. Alot of crafters use rice and this tends to burn easily and then stinks. I have seen crafter now using fillers to cut their costs with cotton, but I don't recommend this because I think it would catch on fire. Not good.

best bet for bulk making these-go to this website... http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=273

they have bulk red hard wheat and flax seed very reasonable shipping. $4.49 no matter what the weight is..

i use a mixture of flaxseed

Whole Bulk Flax Seeds in a bulk 50 pound bag.

Price Qty $48.75

and the

Hard Red Wheat 50 LB Price $36.89

you can get a 5# bag of flax for $7.69 but no smaller on the hard wheat. I've also ordered the wheat berries much cheaper from Alison's Pantry if you have one of those (it's like a food coop type thing.) but then you pay more for the shipping/tax through them.

I get my herbs from

www.herbalcom.com and have been very satisfied with their quality of herbs.

i've heard that the flaxseed alone absorbs the heat much faster, therefore cools off much faster too. so, i do a mix of the hard wheat and the flax.

the only time i've ever had a problem with them smelling is if you over-microwave them they smell burnt.

here's the link to the reason why you need the water... it has to do with the drying out of the grains. that's why they end up getting "burned" to which there is no cure, except to throw away and get a new one.

http://www.herbalhugs.com/faqs.php#Q7

This is what i put in mine and why...

Here's A List:

Chamomile = Relaxant

Peppermint = Relieves Pain

Saw Palmetto Berry = Rejuvenator

Lemon Grass = Relieves Pain

Valerian Root = Calming Antispasmodic

Yellow Dock Root = Improves Circulation

Lavender = Relieves Headaches, Migraines& Pain

Cinnamon = Antispasmodic

Spearmint = Relaxant

Yarrow = Promote Healing

Rosemary = Relieves Pain

White Willow = Relieves Aches & Pains

HTH, i use mine every day- i have a ruptured disk in my back and this thing helps a TON!!!!!!!!!

you're welcome.

my mom had one when she came to my house right after i ruptured the disk in my back. she had purchased it from a company at a mall for $20 and we wondered if we could duplicate it. so we found the company's website, found what ingredients were in it, i did a search for bulk herbs etc. and that is what we found.

honeyville grain is very easy to do business with. and the shipping.... under $5 and it doesn't matter how heavy your total is...

i sold some of the dream pillows, hot packs, boo boo pillows and another herbal item i made and sold the heck out of them. i sold one item purely for the herbs in it-for when you have a cold. it really opens up your nose!! it also calms you down too... i have a nephew that uses one for the sole purpose of being able to help with his allergies.

they are relatively easy to make too. i need to make myself a new one as my 2 1/2 year old nuked mine way too long and burnt the herbs... :(

Heather

best bet for bulk making these-go to this website... http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=273

they have bulk red hard wheat and flax seed very reasonable shipping. $4.49 no matter what the weight is..

i use a mixture of flaxseed

Whole Bulk Flax Seeds in a bulk 50 pound bag.

Price Qty $48.75

and the

Hard Red Wheat 50 LB Price $36.89

you can get a 5# bag of flax for $7.69 but no smaller on the hard wheat. I've also ordered the wheat berries much cheaper from Alison's Pantry if you have one of those (it's like a food coop type thing.) but then you pay more for the shipping/tax through them.

I get my herbs from

www.herbalcom.com and have been very satisfied with their quality of herbs.

i've heard that the flaxseed alone absorbs the heat much faster, therefore cools off much faster too. so, i do a mix of the hard wheat and the flax.

the only time i've ever had a problem with them smelling is if you over-microwave them they smell burnt.

here's the link to the reason why you need the water... it has to do with the drying out of the grains. that's why they end up getting "burned" to which there is no cure, except to throw away and get a new one.

http://www.herbalhugs.com/faqs.php#Q7

This is what i put in mine and why...

Here's A List:

Chamomile = Relaxant

Peppermint = Relieves Pain

Saw Palmetto Berry = Rejuvenator

Lemon Grass = Relieves Pain

Valerian Root = Calming Antispasmodic

Yellow Dock Root = Improves Circulation

Lavender = Relieves Headaches, Migraines& Pain

Cinnamon = Antispasmodic

Spearmint = Relaxant

Yarrow = Promote Healing

Rosemary = Relieves Pain

White Willow = Relieves Aches & Pains

HTH, i use mine every day- i have a ruptured disk in my back and this thing helps a TON!!!!!!!!!

Sounds absolutely divine. Please PM me if you sell these, I would love to try them. I am all about the holistic approach.

Thank you very much camoflauge, I agree with mystical_angel that I would be interested if you sell these. I need a new one and don't have time right now to locate all of the ingredients, I'm too busy testing candles. I will make some someday though. Can yours be stored in the freezer and used cold also?