Natural or not Debate...

Crystala25

Natural or not?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Natural or not?

• Natural
    • Not Natural

Okay I hope this is the right place to put this question, it pertains to bath and body. My fiance and I are having a debate regarding natural or not natural products. I prefer to make my products using natural ingredients, oils, and butters, he says that nobody reads the ingredients so why does it matter. He says that everybody goes to the store and only reads the front and picks which one looks the best and/or is the best price, in which I very much disagree. I would rather spend a little more to know I was getting the best product. Does anyone have any input on this subject? Thanks.

Natural I'll go for, but don't over-play it or we won't believe you (and I don't believe organic claims...)

Maybe I wordded my post a little different than I meant. I don't mean an "all natural" product. Some of the ingredients used being natural and would be of more benefit to your skin. You have the preservatives and fragrance oils and items such as these that aren't always natural. I meant that I would rather make a product that when you turn it over you can at least understand what you are putting on your skin and make sure you aren't allergic to them, then to have a bunch of ingredients you can't understand. If that makes more sense.

When I can get Green Irish Tweed in an EO... I'll give up my FO.

LOL. I don't think I could give up on many FO's, there are so many great ones.

My fiance says I'm an ingrediphobe. I have to read all of the labels, but only because I am allergic to a lot of items.

Edited to add: I think I worded my poll wrong. I really just was wondering if anyone actually read ingredient labels to see what was in there products or was it just me.

As someone who has allergies, I always look at ingredients in everything before I buy it. Also I try to look for things that are not tested on animals and have no animal products in them. I'm also more likely to buy products when I understand what the ingredients are instead of a bunch of chemical names that have no meaning to me. I definitely lean to more "natural" type stuff. Packaging to me is 2nd and price is last.

My background is too technical for me to say then - I LIKE the look of ingredients I know and love. But I KNOW there are benefits to the more "technically advanced" ingredients as well.

I ALWAYS read labels, but I'm allergic to many things, my son has a nut allergy too - so I am awful careful about what I bring into the house...

Okay I hope this is the right place to put this question, it pertains to bath and body. My fiance and I are having a debate regarding natural or not natural products. I prefer to make my products using natural ingredients, oils, and butters, he says that nobody reads the ingredients so why does it matter. He says that everybody goes to the store and only reads the front and picks which one looks the best and/or is the best price, in which I very much disagree. I would rather spend a little more to know I was getting the best product. Does anyone have any input on this subject? Thanks.

I have to say that is a typical man's viewpoint. I am for organics and natural products that do not test on animals. Natural does not necessarily mean all botanical. It means taking something and not messing with its chemical composition. Organic is the farming process that focuses on conserving without the use of synthetics, bioengineering or chemicals. If you research enough there are all natural and organic products. No there is not 100% organic it doesn't exist as far as skincare. The U.S only bypasses 70% of the product to be organic the rest does have to be natural but still has parabens in it. However I have researched that Australia has the highest standards for their products. They are at 98% the other 2% is usually natural preservatives. I am by no means a tree hugger but I value my body and I don't want any harmful chemicals just because a celebrity is using it or it has pretty packaging. I also want whats best for my children and synthetic preservatives just to sell my product just won't cut it. Its not who I am.

I recently purchase a skin care line that was organic. And I will honestly admit I am a skin care whore! I use to be an esthetician years ago then became an infertility nurse. So I always search high and low for a reasonable skin care line. Then I stumbled across a product that was organic and all natural. I can honestly say they were true to form. Plus I love it! I put it on feeling Wow! I really did something good for my skin instead of grasping on to youth and buying something from the Lancome counter. It all sounds cheesy but after reading everything on it, it all came together and made sense. The problem is we as consumers always look for the easy way out. Plus we are quick to follow fads. Especially as women if we see someone famous like Rachel Welch (Mac cosmetics new face) who is pretty old thanks to surgical engineering. then we all figure we will all look like her so we buy without considering the long term consequences. The very last thing we do is read labels because the average american doesn't know what half of the ingredients are. They see two or three botanical ingredients and automatically thinks its healthy. :confused: Crystal, if that is where you heart is going then follow it. Its your project not his. I tell my hubby to butt out all the time.

I really just was wondering if anyone actually read ingredient labels to see what was in there products or was it just me.
I do pay attention to labels. But I think we may be in the minority here. Because going by folks I know and their purchasing habits, it would seem that the average person does not care as long as it looks, smells and feels nice.

I do pay attention to labels. But I think we may be in the minority here. Because going by folks I know and their purchasing habits, it would seem that the average person does not care as long as it looks, smells and feels nice.

This is a lot of people I know. Whenever they hear me griping about B&BW lotion and the cheap oils and waxes their stuff is full of... they don't care.. it smells great, looks great, and thats all they care about.

You cannot please everyone, you just have to aim for a majority or your own "market" and what they want.

I think Soapermom is right. If something smells good and comes in fancy packaging people with think it's good stuff and buy it. If it comes in cardboard and has green somewhere on it, people will think it's "natural" or "organic" and buy it. I think that is true in the case of most American consumers of b&b products.

However, there is a small percentage that will read labels, regardless of the packaging. Some look for things from a naturalist's or vegan's concerns. Other's read labels in an effort to avoid certain chemicals that cause allergic reactions on the skin.

I would imagine there are more people with skin allergies than there are people who simply choose to be vegan or "naturalist." Products geared toward any one within those groups makes up a very small percentage of the marketplace overall. But, because there is such a small share, you can get premium prices for it.

I am at odds with myself regarding the natural vs not when it comes to fragrance. I use mostly essential oils, but there are some fragrances that you just can't get in an essential oil such as vanilla. I find people in their 40's and up do read the labels and do like the all natural aspect of my soap. Then I have younger people, like my daughter and her co-workers who are in their 20's. They love the soap and how it makes their skin feel, but they like the fragrance oils. And they also like the pretty colors I get when I use Ultramarines. When I use essential oils for my fragrance I use herbs for color. When I use fragrance oils I feel OK using the Ultramarines for color. It seems like I need to have a selection for both, one that is 100% natural and one that is 99% natural. Do any of you find this happening to with your customers? :confused:

I think Soapermom is right. If something smells good and comes in fancy packaging people with think it's good stuff and buy it. If it comes in cardboard and has green somewhere on it, people will think it's "natural" or "organic" and buy it. I think that is true in the case of most American consumers of b&b products.

However, there is a small percentage that will read labels, regardless of the packaging. Some look for things from a naturalist's or vegan's concerns. Other's read labels in an effort to avoid certain chemicals that cause allergic reactions on the skin.

I would imagine there are more people with skin allergies than there are people who simply choose to be vegan or "naturalist." Products geared toward any one within those groups makes up a very small percentage of the marketplace overall. But, because there is such a small share, you can get premium prices for it.

That's why I mentioned that half the consumers look on the back and read three botanical ingredients and automatically thinks it's all natural.

If ingredients are not that important then why do cp soap makers make soaps and why do people buy them when they could go to Bath and Body Works and buy the name and still have the same scents?

That is just speculation not pointing a finger at anyone so please don't take offense. I admit I use FO's in my candles but for skincare I take more caution. I don't want people to blame me for an allergy because they had no idea they were allergic to Laureth Sulfates. Bath and Body is a high liability risk that is why we need insurance to sell it and FDA requires you list the ingredients. To make the buyers beware of the ingredients other than just the pretty packaging. Only not all buyers are bewaring. Sometimes its the consumers ignorance that does creat law suits.

I am at odds with myself regarding the natural vs not when it comes to fragrance. I use mostly essential oils, but there are some fragrances that you just can't get in an essential oil such as vanilla. I find people in their 40's and up do read the labels and do like the all natural aspect of my soap. Then I have younger people, like my daughter and her co-workers who are in their 20's. They love the soap and how it makes their skin feel, but they like the fragrance oils. And they also like the pretty colors I get when I use Ultramarines. When I use essential oils for my fragrance I use herbs for color. When I use fragrance oils I feel OK using the Ultramarines for color. It seems like I need to have a selection for both, one that is 100% natural and one that is 99% natural. Do any of you find this happening to with your customers? :confused:

I took opinions before I first started playing around with making bath and body, my mom, sisiter and fiance all want the smells and colors which are almost impossible to get in essential oils or herbs, but then again my sisters friends and a few of my own want my products to only have vegan ingredients and scents. So I guess it is a matter of opinion.

I'm like a lot of people, and got into this business because of allergies. I'll admit, before I suddenly became allergic to petroleum by-products when I was pregnant, I pretty much never read labels on the lotions I bought. My main reasons for buying ... 1 - how it felt on my skin. 2 - How it smelled. And I never read ingredient labels. I do all the time now, but then I also never buy any lotions sold in stores, since I always have gallons floating around my house! I do read "ingredient labels" on other natural soapers websites. I openly admit that I research other companies (probably even some of you) as well as the big guys, like VS, B&BWs, etc. Some for trends, marketing techniques, product inspiration, or even just general inspiration when I'm in a slump.

And a point (a suggestion) I wanted to bring up for those of you who sell through websites (or are attempting to...it's tough), I'd recommend listing the ingredients you use in your products. I know a lot of people who are shopping my site are there because of allergies to certain things. Or they're shopping there because they want top quality handmade soap and bath products. By sharing the ingredients used (which they'll get any way if they order it!), they're more likely to push that "order now" button if they're assured they're not ordering something they're allergic to. Make sense? It felt a little rambly :confused:. Basically, I've always felt it was a good marketing technique, considering the market we're catering to.

As for FOs vs EOs, I use both all the time. My FOs (and brightly colored) soaps outsell my EO (herbally colored, or uncolored) soaps hands down all the time. So I will always carry both. I love using both, and that'll never change.

Have a great night!

It is true that those with allergies will be paying careful attention to the ingredient label. And those with allergies are definitely increasing. A decade ago airlines would serve peanuts as snacks but now they don't do it anymore. With the increasing prevalence of all kinds of allergies, our products are certainly on the right track!

I'm like a lot of people, and got into this business because of allergies. I'll admit, before I suddenly became allergic to petroleum by-products when I was pregnant, I pretty much never read labels on the lotions I bought. My main reasons for buying ... 1 - how it felt on my skin. 2 - How it smelled. And I never read ingredient labels. I do all the time now, but then I also never buy any lotions sold in stores, since I always have gallons floating around my house! I do read "ingredient labels" on other natural soapers websites. I openly admit that I research other companies (probably even some of you) as well as the big guys, like VS, B&BWs, etc. Some for trends, marketing techniques, product inspiration, or even just general inspiration when I'm in a slump.

And a point (a suggestion) I wanted to bring up for those of you who sell through websites (or are attempting to...it's tough), I'd recommend listing the ingredients you use in your products. I know a lot of people who are shopping my site are there because of allergies to certain things. Or they're shopping there because they want top quality handmade soap and bath products. By sharing the ingredients used (which they'll get any way if they order it!), they're more likely to push that "order now" button if they're assured they're not ordering something they're allergic to. Make sense? It felt a little rambly :confused:. Basically, I've always felt it was a good marketing technique, considering the market we're catering to.

As for FOs vs EOs, I use both all the time. My FOs (and brightly colored) soaps outsell my EO (herbally colored, or uncolored) soaps hands down all the time. So I will always carry both. I love using both, and that'll never change.

Have a great night!

Thanks for the insight. I am currently working on my website content, I hope to be up sometime in March. I was wondering if I should list all the ingredients of my soap on my website. The only thing that may change from time to time is what oil I add as a nutient at trace. Sometimes I add Jojoba, sometimes Avacado, sometimes Sweet Almond Oil, it just depended on the mood I was in when I made the batch. I have pretty much stopped using the Sweet Almond Oil at trace since I have read so much about people with peanut allergies. I figured the Jojoba and Avacado oils are safer. So, I am thinking if I list all of my ingredients I will have to be consistent in the oil I add at trace. I guess I need to stop being so moody! :grin2:

I voted not natural. That does NOT mean that I make garbage or inferior products. I strive to be as natural as possible. However, I do use FO's and preservatives. Aside from that I do not think that natural means "better". For instance, some EOs are not safe to use while pregnant.

• 1 year later...

I voted natural because I DO read ingredients when buying B&B products. But I only started doing that when I started making them.

I think the best thing would be to make the best product one can that is safe. It does not have to be all-natual to be safe or beneficial.