Mustuv done somethin wrong!

:confused: Umm- I am having a little more of a problem than just a little white residue appearing on the top of my soy candle when it is burning. The thing is foaming! :shocked2:- Help! I recently started making soy candles and I'm about to give it up. First, I couldn't get rid of the wet spots, still have them but getting better. Then, I had problems with my wick burning out, only in certain types of FO's. Anyone know why? Now, this foam thing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! I use Cargill C-3 soy wax and soy based fragrance oils. I use liquid dyes but sometimes have added block in with it.

Thanks for your help, if your not afraid.

:tiptoe:

It is funny you should mention this. I bought a candle from a craft show (I like to try out the competition) and the candle was foaming while it burned. I never saw anything like it! It smelled good (not as good as mine of course) but had that frothy thing going on. The name of the fragrance was Spiced Cranberry. Do you have a problem with all the scents or is Spiced Cranberry the culprit?

I use C-3 myself and pour my own Cranberry/Cinnamon. I never had an issue with foam. Is this happen affter you burn the candle? Is it along the sides of the jars? There IS some bubbling along the rim once in a great while but no foaming. If this is on a candle before lighting, hit it with a heatgun and see if that helps.

Fire:cool2:

Here's a really, really dumb question, but could soap (or other residue) be reacting with the hot FO and wax to produce foaming? I know, without a picture it's hard to diagnose, but I've often wondered if my candles would foam if I accidently left soap in them after cleaning.

BTW -- never had a foaming problem when I was using C-3. Some bubbling once in awhile around the edges, but that's it. (even with Spiced Cranberry from NG)

:confused: Umm- I am having a little more of a problem than just a little white residue appearing on the top of my soy candle when it is burning. The thing is foaming! :shocked2:- Help! I recently started making soy candles and I'm about to give it up. First, I couldn't get rid of the wet spots, still have them but getting better. Then, I had problems with my wick burning out, only in certain types of FO's. Anyone know why? Now, this foam thing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! I use Cargill C-3 soy wax and soy based fragrance oils. I use liquid dyes but sometimes have added block in with it.

Thanks for your help, if your not afraid.

:tiptoe:

What/whose FOs are you using, and at what concentrations? Some FOs and colors require different wicks in the same jar...

It is funny you should mention this. I bought a candle from a craft show (I like to try out the competition) and the candle was foaming while it burned. I never saw anything like it! It smelled good (not as good as mine of course) but had that frothy thing going on. The name of the fragrance was Spiced Cranberry. Do you have a problem with all the scents or is Spiced Cranberry the culprit?

No. The one I had trouble with was a mixture of Lavender Fields and Jasmine. This is the only one so far. I thought that maybe the combination may have caused it. Now I see that others have had the same problem. Maybe it is the soy? I guess time will tell.

Thanks for your reply! :smiley2:

I use C-3 myself and pour my own Cranberry/Cinnamon. I never had an issue with foam. Is this happen affter you burn the candle? Is it along the sides of the jars? There IS some bubbling along the rim once in a great while but no foaming. If this is on a candle before lighting, hit it with a heatgun and see if that helps.

Fire:cool2:

This shows up when burning. It covers the top like whipped cream. It dries white also.

Thanks for the reply!

Here's a really, really dumb question, but could soap (or other residue) be reacting with the hot FO and wax to produce foaming? I know, without a picture it's hard to diagnose, but I've often wondered if my candles would foam if I accidently left soap in them after cleaning.

BTW -- never had a foaming problem when I was using C-3. Some bubbling once in awhile around the edges, but that's it. (even with Spiced Cranberry from NG)

Not a dumb question. You never know. I really try to rinse mine good first

though, so I am doubting this is the cause for mine.

Thank you for the reply! :)

What/whose FOs are you using, and at what concentrations? Some FOs and colors require different wicks in the same jar...

I am using Just By Nature Candle Supply FO's and dyes. Except the block. I had to run and get some from the craft shop. I use about one ounce of FO per 1/2 pound of soy wax. I find that one FO I use from there is very slow burning. The slowest I have tried. It also just happens to be most peoples favorite, of course. I can't seem to get a wic large enough for it. It burns for a while but then fizzels out. :( Is there anything I can do to make it burn faster without having to have to add two wics? Some of my jars are small and won't allow room for two. Thank you for your reply! :smiley2:

I am using Just By Nature Candle Supply FO's and dyes. Except the block. I had to run and get some from the craft shop. I use about one ounce of FO per 1/2 pound of soy wax. I find that one FO I use from there is very slow burning. The slowest I have tried. It also just happens to be most peoples favorite, of course. I can't seem to get a wic large enough for it. It burns for a while but then fizzels out. :( Is there anything I can do to make it burn faster without having to have to add two wics? Some of my jars are small and won't allow room for two. Thank you for your reply! :smiley2:

That's a lot of FO. You might want to find out what the max fragrance load is for your wax. You're running at 12.5%. I typically run at 7.5% or so (about 1.2 oz. per pound).

Tony

That's a lot of FO. You might want to find out what the max fragrance load is for your wax. You're running at 12.5%. I typically run at 7.5% or so (about 1.2 oz. per pound).

Tony

Thanks. That is most likely the problem. I will have to lessen the load of FO. Also, I was thinking of going with a soy that has another wax added to it. Do you know of one that does not frost and carries a higher amount of FO?

Thank you again!

As I said before, I use C-3 and what you are explaining does sound like you haven't fully rinsed out your jars if you are washing them before wiking. I never had what you are speaking of and I've used C-3 since it came out.

But I do think you are using too much F/O and since I've never tried those that you speak of in you post, I wonder if those might be the culprit?

I use scents from Peaks, Boleks, Green Leaf. 1.5oz per pound at the very most, and I cure five days. I also use block dye that I also get from Boleks and they get it from Candle Wick

You might call Boleks and speak with Chris as he is their tester. Boleks carries C-3 and they are my supplier of my wax. They are local for me.

Fire

I am using Just By Nature Candle Supply FO's and dyes.

Jodi, I use C-3 and FOs, dyes and wicks from JBN. Try their CDN wicks...

We too have experienced some bubbling but nothing like what you describe. We use 1 - 1.5 oz. of FO per pound. Have never used more than that. I have noticed that some FOs bubble slightly more than others, but foam has simply never happened to us!

Are you pouring cold, hot or what? We typically pour on the cool side and cover with a box after pouring until the candles are completely cooled to room temp. Contrary to the experiences of others with C-3, we have not found we have trouble when pouring on the cool side...