Microwaving wax

I've heard a couple people mention that they microwave their wax to melt it. Is it safe? How long would it take to melt a 1lb block of parrafin wax? The idea of melting it in the microwave sounds dangerous - so I'm curious about people's experiences with it.

Really not sure I'd go there.. have what ever you need to put out a fire right there if you do try. The quantity you can melt in a microwave is just as easily melted by double boiler or a presto pot, and a whole lot safer.

I would not try it. I know microwaving gel is an absolute no no...I'm sure wax would be the samething. I believe you would end up with a huge mess on your hands.

If i'm not mistaken..the concept behind a microwave oven is..it cooks from the inside out. Therefore the center of your wax would heat first. You can imagine i'm sure what that means. Big pop..and the inside of your microwave is covered in wax. I think it would be like trying to make a hardboiled egg in the microwave.... BANG and then a big mess to clean.

Bill and Donna

Jacksonville Fla

I melt soy in the microwave. Usually up to a pound because I don't want to whip out the presto for a small amount.

I have never had a problem. I start off at 3 minutes, take it out and temp. Then heat it up a little then temp.

I once tried to do 1/2 a pound of some paraffin my sis gave me and it took FOREVER. So I wouldn't do paraffin

I also melt soy in the microwave, not always and only small amounts (8-16oz). I do it different from Candle Makin Momma, I do it at 30 seconds at a time on high and I've never had my wax go over 190 degrees.

And also sometimes I'll be adding the dye and stirring and it'll get cool to fast and a few seconds in the microwave to get it back up to temp so I can add FO. It's a nice tool but I wouldn't rely solely on the microwave.

A little off topic, but I cannot help myself: "So the heat is produced directly in the food, but the food is not cooked, as is commonly believed, from the inside out. Actually, the cooking begins just beneath the outer surface and from there inward and outward, with the majority of the energy being expended in the outer layers." http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/howcook.html

(not exactly Stanford University, but all the references say pretty mich the same thing)

This is even a better reference: http://home.howstuffworks.com/microwave2.htm

I've heard a couple people mention that they microwave their wax to melt it. Is it safe? How long would it take to melt a 1lb block of parrafin wax? The idea of melting it in the microwave sounds dangerous - so I'm curious about people's experiences with it.

Do yourself a favor and get a "Presto Kitchen Kettle" from walmart for around 23 bucks. If you are planning on making candles for a hobby, that's a great melter to start with..also a thermometer is a must item. Whatever method you choose to melt your wax with, you still need to be able to keep up with the wax's temperature.

The advantage of the presto pot is that it has a variable temperature dial for heat setting and it's much easier to maintian a constant temperaure with such a device...:smiley2:

Do yourself a favor and get a "Presto Kitchen Kettle" from walmart for around 23 bucks. If you are planning on making candles for a hobby, that's a great melter to start with..also a thermometer is a must item. Whatever method you choose to melt your wax with, you still need to be able to keep up with the wax's temperature.

The advantage of the presto pot is that it has a variable temperature dial for heat setting and it's much easier to maintian a constant temperaure with such a device...:smiley2:

Ditto Everito! Good to see you posting every now and then too.