Question for the soapers who are also Chandlers

EmpressC

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the General Candle section or this one.

Basically I would like to ask those of you who make both soaps and candles a question: which proves to be more of a challenge, soaps or candles? Or are they equally challenging? Please feel free to explain why you feel as you do. Thanx!

I started out first making soaps from scratch and found it to be alot of work and my soaps weren't pretty to me, so I bagged that idea. I decided from their to try candlemaking and my first try the candles came out perfect. They looked beautiful and burned great and just everything came easy for me to create them. I fell in love with them and have been making them for 8 years now. I have pulled my soap books out and have been researching on how to make them again. I have a candle wholesale business and have figured out that candles are seasonal and soaps are used all year long, so that is why I am going to sell both, if I can make a good quality soap. I have been researching soaps off and on for about a year and this week I am going to start making soaps for testing. My family is so excited they can't wait to get their first bars of soap for testing, but I haven't told them the bars won't be ready for at least 3-4 weeks.

I only make soap for a hobby, but soap is more fun for me. Soaping is appealing because you don't have to center a wick with soap. :wink2:

I am on the learning curve of soap (lots of panic posts of batches gone awry), and now I ask more questions about soap than I ever thought possible before - how conditioning is it - bubbly or creamy lather - should this soap really look like putty? I enjoy learning and this can be as easy or complicated as you want it to be.

To me, frying food is more frightening than working with lye. I might be the only one who bakes fries instead of frying because hot cooking oil spatters too much. At least with lye, protective gear (eye goggles, gloves) are expected. I haven't seen anyone wear that stuff to fry at home.

I haven't had to wait for soap because most of my batches have needed rebatching, and can be used right away. :embarasse

I make soap and love it (don't find lye scary, but I have a strong R&D background). I'm just getting into candles and am finding them much more frustrating.

But for me, soaps are primarily about the benefit and secondarily about the looks, whereas with candles I'm all about the apperarance an I'm struggling! (oh and scents in both, of course)

For me personally, the learning curve wasn't as steep with soaping. There are plenty of good recipes out there, and if you read a lot, do a lot of research, etc. and follow directions to a "t," it is easier to make soap, IMO.

With candles there are just SO many variables. Tons of kinds of waxes, tons of different wick options, loads of fragrance and color choices ... it takes longer to learn to make good candles, IMO. Lots more practice and such. Sure, there are always stories of folks who happen to hit upon an excellent combo right off the bat. But in general, I think it took me a lot less time to learn soaping. So I'd say candles were more of a challenge to learn. You don't find exact, specific recipes (directions, yes -- but specific wax and wick and dye and color combo recipes, nope--they are scarce!)

This has been my experience; your mileage may vary. ;)

I find them both to equally challenging and only if you make it so. I'm not saying either is easier or one is easier than the other. Obviously it's not that challenging to mix and pour (as long as you know what you're doing, and that means researching it out and getting past that first-timer jitters etc), but the challenge comes from trying to get these things to look like you want them to and then to perform to your hopes or better.

Sure there are more chemicals with soaping and some dangers, but there are those with candlemaking too.

What I find to be most challenging is having the space to put all the stuff.

I am more of a candle person....have only been doing CP soap for a little over 2 yrs now. Candles? Nearly 6 yrs and much more proficient! ;) I am still very much swirl deficient. I can't do a good swirly to save my life, so I come to CT and drool over everyone else's!! :D

They each have their own challenges if you want to do them really well. Candles you've got to learn about wax and wicks and FOs and additives maybe and how they relate to the burn. Soap you've got to learn the properties of oils and how they relate to qualities in a bar. Well, you don't *have* to learn all that, but you're a better whatever if you do.

They both have their safety issues - bad candles you can burn a house down, bad soap you can take someone's skin off :)

I found candles to be much harder than soap. Maybe because I personally use a lot more soap than I ever burn candles, so the end product of chandling wasn't as attractive to me.

I find it much more challenging to market candles than soap, even though we have more soapers in this area than chandlers.

For me personally, the learning curve wasn't as steep with soaping. There are plenty of good recipes out there, and if you read a lot, do a lot of research, etc. and follow directions to a "t," it is easier to make soap, IMO.

With candles there are just SO many variables. Tons of kinds of waxes, tons of different wick options, loads of fragrance and color choices ... it takes longer to learn to make good candles, IMO. Lots more practice and such. Sure, there are always stories of folks who happen to hit upon an excellent combo right off the bat. But in general, I think it took me a lot less time to learn soaping. So I'd say candles were more of a challenge to learn. You don't find exact, specific recipes (directions, yes -- but specific wax and wick and dye and color combo recipes, nope--they are scarce!)

This has been my experience; your mileage may vary. ;)

My experience has been the same, so I'm ditto'ing her post.:grin2:

Now I'm not a real soaper as I use M&P but I've been pouring candles for 4 years and soaps for 2..soap is easier on my grout..lol..I've had to re grout my kitchen because of all of the wax..lol..however, I feel more creative with soaps than candles..also..I can pour soap in flip flops, I learned the hard way never to pour hot wax with flip flops..plus..soap is easier on my stove top..had to replace that also...I'm pretty sure these were not the comments you were looking for but they're true..also someone said candles are seasonal and soap is year round..I have no idea how heat and humidity affects cold processed soap but my mail order business for soaps shuts down in the summer whereas candles for the most part I can ship pretty much 48 weeks out of the year.

I have no idea how heat and humidity affects cold processed soap but my mail order business for soaps shuts down in the summer whereas candles for the most part I can ship pretty much 48 weeks out of the year.

CP soap is not affected by weather at all. I can ship year round.