Some new tapers I made tonight. Fun stuff

I always wanted to make the tall flat twisted ones but never had any luck but then again I never had any time to play with them either. I found out if you keep making them flat as you go along dipping its a lot easier to get a nice flat candle and a product that looks saleable. It might be a keeper.

Perfecting the regular spirals also. I have a small 1/4 inch dowel rod that I have made a mark every 3 inch so they look more even. Tried them at 4 inch and didn't like the look as well. Another keeper I think.

The regular taper is closer to the look I want than any other taper I have made. Notice how its thin on top thicker in middle and then thins out on the bottom? That's what I'm going for I love that look. Almost what I'm going for.

The other multicolor candle is about a quarter inch thick.. just made it for sheets and giggles. It started as a flattened taper but I went out of control with my artistic freedom.

I had fun tonight making these, and dont think they look half bad.

Bruce

post-327-139458416514_thumb.jpg

post-327-139458416518_thumb.jpg

post-327-139458416521_thumb.jpg

Bruce, your candles amaze me. You are incredible!

I saw a thread earlier asking what type of candles sell best in our states--container or pillars and votives. I didn't reply because I kept thinking about those tapers that you posted recently in the gallery that are so elegant. I think a lot of the style has to do with background, also. I grew up always having tapers on the mantle and dining room table. I have to wonder what my mother and grandmother would think about those spirals!!

Sorry to ramble. Just sooo damn impressed with your talent and skill.

Thanks everyone, going to work the mall today so I will check in tonight when I get back.

I hope they burn right, the last tapers I made were dripless and lasted a long time, but with hand dipped and being twisted who knows. Im sure the flat ones are going to be a problem. I looked up an old old post that Julie Kay made and hers looked great but they split when burning. That just may be the only way to burn them with that kind of shape. I was just happy that they looked nice so the right wick and size will follow. Not that I will even have time to make any for retail or be able to figure a price on, but its something I could have my kids help with. Maybe.... :wink2:

Bruce

Those twisted / spiral ones would look GREAT as a centerpiece for a wedding. A nice, elegant alternative for people who like a funky classic look but don't like the more ornate pillars that you usually see.

And lest I forget the most important thing - those are awesome!!!

I have high hopes for the spiral but the flat taper is not going to be perfect. There is a pic of one burning on the old board and it don't look half bad as the center burns up the edges start curling and falling downward.

I was thinking about the flat ones while I was at the mall yesterday and came up with some color idea.. off the wall of course but if it works I may just be able to make some bad azz candles.

Bruce

Hey Bruce, those are great! I've made some like the 2 on the ends (the white twist ones) but that squat middle one looks neat. Is it completely flat? Like you flattened it with a rolling pin or something?

I haven't dipped anything in about 6 months.. Too cold out in my garage and I've just not been motivated enough to brave the cold. lol But these might just do the trick to get me out to my tanks again. :)