Would you...?

Would you sell your candles if after a few days developed mild to moderate frosting? They will burn and smell the same, they just don't look quite as pretty. I don't want to take a loss on all my candles that have some frosting though, since I use 100% soy, it happens more than I would like, and I feel like I've tried everything to prevent it.

I have found that many people buying hand made candles don't mind at all if they are frosted, lumpy, or otherwise not "store perfect". If your product is perfect, some will even suspect that it's not really hand made. As a small business selling hand made products, your niche is the fact that you care about your product, and you care about your customers. In most cases, no matter what it looks like, your product is far superior to the others anyway.

I have just learned to live with a little frosting, cracking, or lumpiness - it gives my candles character, and it in no way affects the quality or burnability of the product.

Kelly, when we have a frosted candle, if the frosting is very slight, we will offer them at a reduced cost or as a casual gift (our friends are happy to receive our "seconds" - a perk of having friends who make candles), but usually, they go into our stock to burn around the house or we repour them. We don't sell candles with "moderate" frosting at all. They just aren't up to our standards even though they do smell just as good - how they LOOK is important, too, or folks wouldn't bother pouring them in pretty, glass containers!

Handcrafted does not have to mean second-rate! That's like saying that it's okay to sell a cake that's lopsided for full price because it still tastes good! I sew a lot of my clothes, but they don't hang lopsided nor look faded!

Sorry for spouting off, but I was just astonished at some of the responses...

Stella, those were my concerns as well, I contemplated selling them at a reduced rate, because I know if I ordered candles and received them with moderate amounts of frosting, I don't think I'd be too happy. And I am aware of the nature of soy! I wouldn't want to lose customers because of selling them a candle that just didn't look quite right.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback though! I love to hear both sides!

I work very hard to get my candles as frost-free as possible, but many times my candles will be dotted with frosting, and the candle mostly looks good. If I have a candle that has what I deem to be excessive frosting, I'll keep it and use it for marathon burn testing, or I'll give away to my close friends. I can explain away mild frosting, but in good conscience cannot sell one with mayor frosting issues! Sometimes I will take the worst ones and experiment on them to find ways to eliminate the frosting.

I have found that storing the finished candles in a very warm room, like my computer room, will keep the candles frost-free till I sell them, but if I store them in my relatively cool basement, they frost up pretty badly after a couple of days. :undecided

geek

Kelly, when we have a frosted candle, if the frosting is very slight, we will offer them at a reduced cost or as a casual gift (our friends are happy to receive our "seconds" - a perk of having friends who make candles), but usually, they go into our stock to burn around the house or we repour them. We don't sell candles with "moderate" frosting at all. They just aren't up to our standards even though they do smell just as good - how they LOOK is important, too, or folks wouldn't bother pouring them in pretty, glass containers!

Handcrafted does not have to mean second-rate! That's like saying that it's okay to sell a cake that's lopsided for full price because it still tastes good! I sew a lot of my clothes, but they don't hang lopsided nor look faded!

Sorry for spouting off, but I was just astonished at some of the responses...

I think it is great to have your standards, to sell your products, everyone should have them. I would probably sell mine as well, with a little frost on them, but not with heavy frosting. To me, it makes them kinda unique, like a pillar that has mottling or the rustic look to it. Most people get it, and understand. None of my repeat customers have ever complained.

Funny you should mention the lopsided cake. We actually saw a program on TV on the Food Channel a couple of days ago, about a bakery that specializes in lopsided birthday cakes. They were very cute looking. Not trying to make a point here, but your comment just made me think of it.

Looks like we have a discussion on selling/making frosted, minimal frosted, and no frosted soy candles, so I thought I would put in my 2 cents. Frosting is actually the "natural" bloom of a soy candle, and to be perfectly honest, if I did not see this in, or on a soy candle, I would not purchase it, especially if I am a dedicated soy candle burner. This is the "natural" progression of soy wax to acquire "bloom" just as beeswax does over time.

I educate my customers on the "natural" progression of soy wax, and NONE of them, even my wholesale accounts, have a problem with the bloom. I think, we as candle makers, do not want to tolerate the bloom since it does not look "pretty". Well, as I have taught my daughter, "Looks aren't everything; it is what's within that counts."

I do not add color to my soy container candles, which helps to reduce the educational process I dealt with when I did color my candles. Possibly, this is an avenue you may want to consider, if the bloom bothers you.

I've actually watched customers pick through my display to pull votives that ARE frosted & then asked me why the other ones (the perfect ones!) didn't have the cool look!?! Go figure. Plus, I agree w/ the previous poster -- the public is more aware of the natural attributes of a natural wax & look for frosting as an indication that they're not buying paraffin. I'm not faulting anyone for the choice they make w/ their finished products, just saying I've come to terms w/ what I'm dealing with, educate the customers I have a chance to talk to & sell my candles proudly for the well-made product they are. Plus, no matter how well you control everything up to the point of sale, you can't control if someone leaves them in their car overnight (& they frost) or how they look after they burn. Instead of trying to disguise the nature of the beast, I'd rather promote all the good points. Soy is just the Ugly Betty of the wax world & ... ugly is the new pretty!!

Susan.

I agree w/ TxSioux and realmarcha. We've educated our customers on the nature of soy wax from the onset and they have no problem with the bloom. I've gotten several wholesale accounts on account of the bloom. The public sees it as the distinguishing characteristic of a soy candle. I get a good indication of this at practically every show we do. Our last show in Nov. included two other soy chandlers, and neither lasted more than 3 hours into the show. One of the ladies even asked if we were going to be doing the local Christmas On the River event. When we told her yes, she said well they 'definitely wouldn't be then, and walked off. My husband felt compelled to ferret out the reason for this and came to find out that both of these candlemakers used CB Adv. and had no frost whatsoever. Very, very pretty candles, but the custmers weren't buying into them being soy. The other booth owner said she just got tired of arguing the point.

I'm glad this thread was started. It's interesting to read everyones viewpoint on this topic.

Rena

Sometimes if I have a few with major frost problems I zap them in microwave to remelt and when they set back up (watch your wick) they are frost free again!

Interesting you should bring this up...I've been experimenting with this the last couple of days...sort of Tempering the candle in the microwave...They set up beautifully! I had one that was covered in frost, but after I microwaved it and let it set up over night, not a speck of frost on it! I'm trying to eliminate frost all together...making different blends and such...I figure in the end I may have to give in to a few specks...but I'm trying hard not to! Too much of an anal perfectionist here with OCD! :laugh2:

I've done it! I guess it's kind of like when you microwave those campbell soups that have the metal ring, as long as you cover it it's fine. I guess wax is enough covering. I've only done it for a short time though, like 30 seconds at a time and I always am near by.

I pour cool so my soy will be as smooth and nice-looking as possible, but I don't sweat a bit of frost. That's just the nature of soy. As others mentioned, I try to educate customers about soy, but usually it's needless. Customers who want a soy candle don't really mind soy's appearance, in my experience. :)

hth

But I worry that even though my candles are as good (if not better ;) ) as the next persons, I'm afraid if the person has a choice between my candles (have some frosting) and the next guys (has none) they'll go for the pretty ones regardless of the quality. Am I being overly paranoid?

Or they'll have ordered Soy candles before from someone else and had a frost free candle and get mine and be like "whoa what the hell is this?" Even if I put info on the website or otherwise who is to say they will read it, listen or understand?

I'm also switching over to frosted glass this yr -- not so much to hide the finished product when I sell, but more to hide the random gnarly appearance soy can sometimes get after burning. Plus, I just think frosted is prettier ... this yr! <g> I guess you won't really have a good answer (for yourself) till you put some of those frosted candles out & get real feedback from the buyers in your area.

Susan.

But I worry that even though my candles are as good (if not better ;) ) as the next persons, I'm afraid if the person has a choice between my candles (have some frosting) and the next guys (has none) they'll go for the pretty ones regardless of the quality. Am I being overly paranoid?

Personally, after reading this thread and your concerns, I think you aren't overly paranoid, but possibly a perfectionist and a bit paranoid?? :D I am known to be a perfectionist, and after years, and I mean years, of testing almost every soy wax out there, and trying this concoction and that concoction to rid my candles of the frosting, I got over it. It was driving me crazy, not to mention, the hundreds of dollars I spent! What helped me is a seminar I went to where Jason from GB explained to us the natural components of soy, and its progression after a candle sits around for awhile. During this discussion, I asked Jason if there was a way to totally eliminate the bloom of natural soy...his answer was NO! Not unless you want to use additives that are not an "all natural" product. When soy wax frosts, it is just doing what it is suppose to do. Beeswax does the same thing, and this does not stop people from purchasing it. If you think about, us humans do the same thing...we go from no gray hairs to a head full :laugh2: Ask me how I know!

If you make a quality candle, and people purchase it, burn it, and love it, they will come back for more. This has been my experience. HTH