Hurricane Wax Question

I was told on here to use 5055 wax, its a high melt point wax. And add Micro to it. That works great for me after some practice of course. But I did and still do the hurricanes with photos. It takes practice but once you get it its not that bad....good luck!

1343 isn't good for canes. I melted one on my entertainment center in about 1/2 hour. It doesn't have a high enough melt point.

OK, thanks for that bit of info. God bless this forum and it's members! So much info to be found here that will save me loads of headaches. :D

ok.... now i have another question...lol.... i read the instructions from this site and was wondering..... is this a hollow tube or does it develop a bottom on it? I mean, I have the mold and sleeve, so when I take the sleeve out and dump out the remaining wax, does a bottom form or does it come out with the sleeve?

ok.... now i have another question...lol.... i read the instructions from this site and was wondering..... is this a hollow tube or does it develop a bottom on it? I mean, I have the mold and sleeve, so when I take the sleeve out and dump out the remaining wax, does a bottom form or does it come out with the sleeve?

the bottom begins to form as soon as you pour in the wax.

The sleeve is used to hold embeds in place. If you aren't using any, then you don't need it. You have to keep lifting the sleeve every 2-3 as it's cooling so that it doesn't stick to the bottom.

ohhhhhhhhhhh ok.....think I understand now...lol.... gonna get some hurricane wax and start experimenting..... good thing about it is.... if I screw it up, it goes right back in the melting pot.......lol

hmm I've never had a problem... what was your light source?

my mold is 6" and I use a votive in a straight sided holder. Sitting on the table, they did fine. But when set on a shelf it melted right down. Since I can't be sure someone won't set it on a shelf, I got hurricane wax. I do call them forever candles - not forever as long as you don't set them on a shelf. :tongue2:

my mold is 6" and I use a votive in a straight sided holder. Sitting on the table, they did fine. But when set on a shelf it melted right down. Since I can't be sure someone won't set it on a shelf, I got hurricane wax. I do call them forever candles - not forever as long as you don't set them on a shelf. :tongue2:

LOL ok I see what you mean. I only put tealights in mine. Now that you mention votive, I gave a cane to my mom and she put a votive in there with the wrong kind of holder. The votive was sitting on top of the holder (container was too small) and it did melt a little bit off the side of it. I didn't expect anyone to put a votive in there in the first place, on top of that the way she had it set up it was more like a pillar candle in there! But as far as tealights go, I've never had a problem with the 1343.

I use the 5055 with 1/2 oz pp of Micro 180 for my picture 'canes. IGI 1260 will work fine for regular 'canes. I always added 1/2 oz pp of the micro 180 to the 1260. It makes the 'cane wax less brittle. You'll just have to jump in and see what works for you.

Do what Sharyl says.....that is the best way that we know of. Donita