Paraffin Candle Making???

This past weekend 2 of my older daughters needed a dress for their semi-formal dance. We went all over Michigan City, Indiana and South Bend, Indiana looking for "their perfect dress". While we were at a mall there in Michigan City we walked down this one particular aisle in which my hubby asked me if I saw the candles this guy was selling. I briefly walked by them but wasn't interested. Hubby was so we went back to look at them and the guy asked if I make candles because of the way I was looking at them. I told him I only make the soy ones---haven't made any paraffin yet. He said he has been making candles for 15 years and is in negiotations with a place who is closing their doors due to the increased price in candle making supplies. That company has contracts with places like Disney. Anyways, he told me to steer away from the paraffin making unless I wear a respirator because the last 15 years of paraffin has caused him to have lung problems and he is now undergoing biopsies for possible lung cancer and he is only 35----never smoked a day in his life! I feel so bad for him.

I was thinking about trying paraffin but now I'm not so sure. 2 of our kids have asthma and I know how hard it is to keep them out of the hospital in our "clean as possible" home environment. I was wondering if any paraffin makers have been making candles as long or longer and if you have any health problems due to the paraffin?

You're kidding, right?

Nope if I was I wouldn't have asked the question. The guy said he is getting rid of his soy making because the market is so saturated now and the paraffin has caused him all those problems. He said it doesn't help that he used to make $100,000/yr with $60,000 profit and now he makes $70,000/yr with $22,000 profit due to the increased cost of the supplies on the rise. I thought everything is on the rise not just candle supplies. I just wanted to try paraffin to try something new, then after he told me that I thought I would find out from others who have made them for awhile as well. I'm not in the habit of believeing the first thing that I hear. So other's opinions would be helpful.

I guess that's a good lesson not to believe everything you hear. It's ridiculous. All of it.

I have been researching the web on this and this article seems to be the most reputable on that I have found http://ehso.com/ehshome/candles2.htm. One of the sources for this article is the EPA and webmd and it seems they say beeswax is the cleanest burning. I may have to try that just to see what it's like.

Boy is this what the marketing ploys have spun off and into? What about second hand smoke? Could this guy have been around it? What about genetics? Some just get cancer because ... no rhyme no reason. Roma, stop. Seriously. Think about it and the logic. Paraffin does not have carcinogens in it. Seriously.

Boy is this what the marketing ploys have spun off and into? What about second hand smoke? Could this guy have been around it? What about genetics? Some just get cancer because ... no rhyme no reason. Roma, stop. Seriously. Think about it and the logic. Paraffin does not have carcinogens in it. Seriously.

Now you know I don't expect to be slain for this. I was simply asking a question because I don't know anything about paraffin. I have always thought it is better to ask questions than to assume. I didn't say I believed him I was simply asking about opinions from people who do make paraffin candles. If no one else has encountered these problems than that's fine and I will come to my own conclusions, but sarchasim isin't what I asked for.

You will lose some vegetarian customers with beeswax because they don't like the treatment of the bees.

Seriously a customer told me that :)

See the only wax I know anything about is soy---I didn't know that about the bees. Thanks for telling me.

Romasoy, please go to www.epa.gov and read. Then read some more.

And take the time to notice that:

1) Most of the EPA report is concerning emissions WITH lead wicks.

2) Most of the emissions are from the FRAGRANCES added--they state this very clearly.

3) They also state that they burned 30 candles in a room for 3 hours and tested the air quality, guess what? Less toxin that ONE cigarette.

4) Most of the toxins emitted were from candles that were sooting, they contribute that to--a badly made candle, incorrect burning, drafts.

These are my words, you need to read what comes from the government not what these people are misconstruing it to say. When the soy companies bash paraffin, the forget to leave those very important details out of the picture.

Romasoy, please go to www.epa.gov and read. Then read some more.

And take the time to notice that:

1) Most of the EPA report is concerning emissions WITH lead wicks.

2) Most of the emissions are from the FRAGRANCES added--they state this very clearly.

3) They also state that they burned 30 candles in a room for 3 hours and tested the air quality, guess what? Less toxin that ONE cigarette.

4) Most of the toxins emitted were from candles that were sooting, they contribute that to--a badly made candle, incorrect burning, drafts.

These are my words, you need to read what comes from the government not what these people are misconstruing it to say. When the soy companies bash paraffin, the forget to leave those very important details out of the picture.

I read that so I see what you mean. I guess, thinking about how soys are made also, they could cause about the same problems because they are scented with oil-based scents.

Didn't we just have this thread?????? :whistle:

Are you thinking about the paraffin bashing one. No, this one I was asking a question, not bashing anything. Actually that thread is what compelled me to try paraffin candles just to see what they were like myself---then I met that guy...so I was just wondering if anyone else had or knows or anyone else with the same problems.

Ya know.. Like Julie said, if your gonna get cancer, your gonna get it.. Cancer is not predjudice. My brother never smoked a cig in his life and got throat cancer that they see 99% of in smokers. He had stage 4 cancer. Thank god he is doing better today but if anything is gonna give people problems , it's gonna be the FO , not the Wax!

Ya know.. Like Julie said, if your gonna get cancer, your gonna get it.. Cancer is not predjudice. My brother never smoked a cig in his life and got throat cancer that they see 99% of in smokers. He had stage 4 cancer. Thank god he is doing better today but if anything is gonna give people problems , it's gonna be the FO , not the Wax!

Yep I was thinking the same thing. And about the cancer, my grandfather smoked from the time he was 14...lived 92 years and never had cancer...and he smoked like 3 packs a day at least. I guess that just wasn't his way to go out. Thanks for the info. though.

Are you thinking about the paraffin bashing one. No, this one I was asking a question, not bashing anything. Actually that thread is what compelled me to try paraffin candles just to see what they were like myself---then I met that guy...so I was just wondering if anyone else had or knows or anyone else with the same problems.

Yes, that's exactly the thread I'm referring to. There was alot of information in that thread that would probably have answered the question(s) you are raising.

That's the only point I was trying to make. :)

I have been test burning soy candles like a lunatic for the last 8 months and all though I have not noticed any black soot on walls or tv's my hubby did change the air filters in the ac unit the other day and they were very sooty more then normal so I think any candle will create this issue but if I were you I would be more concerned about the FO's since they will most likely cause more issues then the wax! :cool2:

...if anything is gonna give people problems , it's gonna be the FO , not the Wax!
...if I were you I would be more concerned about the FO's since they will most likely cause more issues then the wax! :cool2:

Does anyone have any links to articles discussing the issues with FOs? (Sorry, I couldn't read all of the paraffin bashing thread...it was just TOO long! :undecided)