Repost of unanswered question in another thread...roll-on help

Maybe I'm just going to the wrong forums, but nobody seems to be able to help me with my questions, so hopefully the bath/body people can help me out here?

I'm looking to make fragrance roll-on's in 1/3 oz bottles. I have 4 questions:

1)Can I use the FO's from any supplier (daystar, MC, JbN) as long as they're deemed body safe?

2 )I'd like to use FCO since I don't like the greasiness of Jojoba oil. What percantage of FO do I need and what percentage of FCO do I need?

3) I would like to add a little bit of another carrier oil (with a long shelf-life) because of the dryness of the FCO, which would you recommend and what percent 'other oil' should I add to the FO/FCO mixture? (I was looking on oilsbynature.com, and there are so many oils listed...I don't mind an expensive oil since it will be for mine and family use only)

4) Can I use them right away or is there a curing time?

Thanks for any answers, much appreciated!

yes, you can use any suppliers skin-safe fragrance oils.

FCO is a great oil to use with a very long shelf life.

You wanted to add a 3rd ingredient: cyclomethicone is VERY poplular. It is an oil that once rolled or sprayed on, becomes dry(dry oil sprays, dry oil roll ons, etc). If you choose to use FO, FCO & Cyclo, there have been alot of threads on this one....I should know, I've asked alot about this. Here is what I've gathered(& used myself, after much experimenting):

7:1 ratio or 6:1 ratio, broken down into "parts"(ok, here is where it used to confuse the heck out of me...the "parts".

Another confusing thing is that these %'s are for larger than 1/3 oz size. I have yet to figure that out. The only thing that has worked for me, is to make at least a 2 ouncer & then pour that into rolller bottles. My problem is that most of the time, I just need to make ONE 1/3 bottle in a particular scent. So if I make 2 ounces, just to get the measurements right, I have a ton of leftover/waste after pouring it into the ONE 1/3 roller bottle I needed. )

Ok, back to the %'s: 7:1 ratio or 6:1 ratio, broken down into "parts"

(let me cut & paste from a source):

some people use less or more, but here is the standard recipe:

1 part fragrance oil to 6 parts cyclomethicone

it depends on the size...whatever it is, break it down to 7 parts.

example : for a 2 ounce total weight - 2.0 divide by 7 = approx .28 per part.

so you would use .28 fo and the rest is cyclo.

2 oz dry oil spray - .28 oz fo

4 oz dry oil spray - .57 oz fo

6 oz dry oil spray- .85 oz fo

8 oz dry oil spray - 1.14 oz fo

IF you are adding FCO, just substitute one of the cyclo "parts" with FCO.

I truly don't know what the proportions would be to use only FCO & FO. But since you said you were looking into adding a 3rd ingredient, I think Cyclo would be great. (sold at aromahaven, bittercreek, wsp, the sage, etc.. HTH But there are a few threads on this subject here....search around under FCO, roller bottles, etc....

I have been making and selling these for years and I can tell you that every FO is different. I use a larger percentage for some FOs and a much smaller amount of others. It depends how strong you want it and how strong the FO is. Then your carrier throws in another variable. There is no substitute for experience. Get out a bottle, add 5 percent FO and 95 percent whatever your carrier oil is going to be, and see if it works for you. Go up on the FO if you need to, to get the scent you want. No one person can give you a recipe because it depends on the FO and the supplier and carrier you use. Fortunately, it's hard to screw these up. Making them a little too strong or a little too weak is not a terribly dangerous mistake.

I've been wanting to make these two, but what is FCO? I also don't like the greasy feel and would like it to dry as soon as possible. I know about the Cyclo but FCO I'm not sure what it is?

Hope someone can help! :) Sorry for stealing your thread. :):)

Wouldn't FCO have some aroma itself? Coconuts are strong I imagine the oil to be strong as well. I'd want something odorless or as close as it gets!

Thanks for the link.

The way FCO is processed it has no smell.

Fractionated Coconut Oil contains only the medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) of coconut oil, making it a fluid and very stable oil. It is produced through the hydrolysis of coconut oil and is then fractionated by steam distillation to isolate the MCTs. Fractionated coconut oil has indefinite shelf life and is a light, non-greasy, non-staining, liquid oil. It is a good choice for use in massage, skin care and soap formulations. Fractionated coconut oil is also a useful carrier oil within aromatherapy applications as it helps to carry therapeutic oils under the skin. It can be included in creams, lotions, bath oils, bath salts and soap. Fractionated coconut oil is especially useful in facial creams and formulations that benefit from the inclusion of a lighter oil. It is a good substitute for sweet almond oil if you are worried about rancidity or a short shelf life.

INCI Nomenclature:Caprylic/Capric TriglycerideExtraction Method:Please see descriptionShelf Life:Very Stable

yes, you can use any suppliers skin-safe fragrance oils.

FCO is a great oil to use with a very long shelf life.

You wanted to add a 3rd ingredient: cyclomethicone is VERY poplular. It is an oil that once rolled or sprayed on, becomes dry(dry oil sprays, dry oil roll ons, etc). If you choose to use FO, FCO & Cyclo, there have been alot of threads on this one....I should know, I've asked alot about this. Here is what I've gathered(& used myself, after much experimenting):

7:1 ratio or 6:1 ratio, broken down into "parts"(ok, here is where it used to confuse the heck out of me...the "parts".

Another confusing thing is that these %'s are for larger than 1/3 oz size. I have yet to figure that out. The only thing that has worked for me, is to make at least a 2 ouncer & then pour that into rolller bottles. My problem is that most of the time, I just need to make ONE 1/3 bottle in a particular scent. So if I make 2 ounces, just to get the measurements right, I have a ton of leftover/waste after pouring it into the ONE 1/3 roller bottle I needed. )

Ok, back to the %'s: 7:1 ratio or 6:1 ratio, broken down into "parts"

(let me cut & paste from a source):

some people use less or more, but here is the standard recipe:

1 part fragrance oil to 6 parts cyclomethicone

it depends on the size...whatever it is, break it down to 7 parts.

example : for a 2 ounce total weight - 2.0 divide by 7 = approx .28 per part.

so you would use .28 fo and the rest is cyclo.

2 oz dry oil spray - .28 oz fo

4 oz dry oil spray - .57 oz fo

6 oz dry oil spray- .85 oz fo

8 oz dry oil spray - 1.14 oz fo

IF you are adding FCO, just substitute one of the cyclo "parts" with FCO.

I truly don't know what the proportions would be to use only FCO & FO. But since you said you were looking into adding a 3rd ingredient, I think Cyclo would be great. (sold at aromahaven, bittercreek, wsp, the sage, etc.. HTH But there are a few threads on this subject here....search around under FCO, roller bottles, etc....

re the % being for larger amounts...not true.

A 1/3 oz roller bottle will contain .33oz (or so)

Lets say I'm doing 75% fco and 25% fo

.33 * 75% = .2475 oz

.33 * 25% = .0825 oz

.2475 + .0825 = .33 oz

The nice thing about working in percentages is you can size your recipe up or down very easily!

Jen

this is the post I was looking for, for you:

"And if you're doing just one bottle, 1/3 oz is about 9 grams. So if you're doing 50%/25%/25% like candle man posted, that would be about 4 grams cyclo, 2 grams fco, 2 grams fo. You can use a dropper and drop it into a bottle tared on a scale."

Oh, and in regard to:

"re the % being for larger amounts...not true."...............

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to confuse when I said the %'s were only for larger amounts. I guess I should've re-read my post. I meant to say that these amounts(ounces) that I was listing, were the measurements for the %'s related to making the larger sizes(2 oz, 4 oz, etc...). (meaning that you can only use .28 oz FO as a "part" if making a larger size....etc....)Sorry!!! I don't even know if I just re-explained myself correctly!!!!:tongue2: )

this is the post I was looking for, for you:

"And if you're doing just one bottle, 1/3 oz is about 9 grams. So if you're doing 50%/25%/25% like candle man posted, that would be about 4 grams cyclo, 2 grams fco, 2 grams fo. You can use a dropper and drop it into a bottle tared on a scale."

Oh, and in regard to:

"re the % being for larger amounts...not true."...............

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to confuse when I said the %'s were only for larger amounts. I guess I should've re-read my post. I meant to say that these amounts(ounces) that I was listing, were the measurements for the %'s related to making the larger sizes(2 oz, 4 oz, etc...). (meaning that you can only use .28 oz FO as a "part" if making a larger size....etc....)Sorry!!! I don't even know if I just re-explained myself correctly!!!!:tongue2: )

WOW, Kathy & Sawyer's moon! Thanks so much, this is exactly the response I was looking for. I did many searches with the boards search function and could only find answers related to Cyclo, FCO, and FO...you have been a tremendous help with this!! Thank you for sharing and God Bless!

David

I don't know if this is a help, but I use soybean oil for mine because it is inexpensive and has no scent of its own. I don't take into account the greasy factor becuase so little of the perfume oil is applied to the skin. I use 10% FO or EO blend.

I am not a retailer, but I have made these and given them away as gifts for 6 years. Even at 10% some ppl think the fragrance is too strong.