Website Shopping Carts

Kelly

Has anyone here created thier own shopping carts for their website? How difficult was it? Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated!! Godaddy offers a shopping carts feature for 10.00/mo and I'm just wondering if it worth it or if it's smarter to just make your own.

TIA

I've used both. The GoDaddy cart is the easier of the two to set up.

I now use the Mals-e cart, and love it. It was a little harder, especially setting up the selection choices and the "View Cart" and "Check Out" buttons. I used FrontPage to design my site and inserted the Mals-e buttons into the web pages.

Jennifer

I wrote the cart and site from scratch. I would rather have it that way so I do not have to fuss with someone else's look and feel and their features. I can add/sub features as I see fit and have it look and behave the way I want it to.

okay here is my dumb question...Mals doesnt process credit cards.

Right now I am using paypal and the credit cards are processed for me. If I use Mals...who does my credit card processing?

Here is the link to mals processing support:

http://www.mals-e.com/acceptcards.php

Here is the link to their main support/faq pages..

http://www.mals-e.com/support.php

okay here is my dumb question...Mals doesnt process credit cards.

Right now I am using paypal and the credit cards are processed for me. If I use Mals...who does my credit card processing?

The links posted above this one are good ones to read up on. Paypal and Google checkout both are very easy to integrate with Mals, it's just a matter of clicking the appropriate link within the admin/set up cart area at Mals, assuming you already have a paypal and/or google checkout account.

I have the advantage of knowing html, but it truly wasnt that necessary if you use something like Frontpage or another wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) type program to build your website with.

If you do go this route and need any help, I would be more than happy to help you as I'm sure many others would be willing to do as well :)

I have a related question regarding the shopping carts. I am currently setting up our site and can't seem to find a cart that will allow me to use a shipping calculator (usps for example). It seems that most allow you to set a shipping cost for each item or a shipping cost based on the total of the order.

How do most of you handle shipping costs on your websites?

Thanks for the help

Zen cart has a shipping module that is easy to use with their cart. You can set up a shipping price by dollar amount, or by weight of each item. I use the USPS for most of my shipping, and we have it set at a certain dollar amount, but will be changing it soon by weight of each item. There may be other ways of setting up this module, but that is my hubbys expertise!

I have a related question regarding the shopping carts. I am currently setting up our site and can't seem to find a cart that will allow me to use a shipping calculator (usps for example). It seems that most allow you to set a shipping cost for each item or a shipping cost based on the total of the order.

How do most of you handle shipping costs on your websites?

Thanks for the help

If you upgrade to the Mals Premium account (I think it is like $8 per month) you can use both the USPS shipping calculator or the UPS calculator to figure your exact shipping. You can still set a handling fee too if you need to cover shipping supplies on top of the postage amount.

Donna

Yeah, I was actually playing with Zen Cart and OScommerce. I'm going to be using PayPal for payments either way (and paypal has their own cart as well where you add buttons to a page you make). There are a few options, it's the shipping that gets me. It's hard to set a fixed price based on the order total. I think I've almost got it figured out though. I'm playing with Zen Cart again right now.