Help! Why is my palms doing this?

p1010397smallzf7.jpg

I have no clue as to why my palm wax is doing this. I poured at 200 degrees, 6% CATALPA FO, no palm steric as I never need to use it! Notice the top of the candle is dark and solid? It is also a bit frosty. I have never had this happen before. You can see that the natural candle is just fine but there is no FO or color added. This was a one pour. I rather like the solid, dark on top but that is not how it should have been.

TIA!! God Bless,

Lynn

I dont know Julie! Would THAT cause this effect possibly?? IF so, then I want to recreate that effect! LOL Saves on two pours! LOL Just chill the bottom half of the mold and then pour?? LOL Going to have to do some testing on this! Thanks for your imput hon!

Anyone else know if this effect is caused by bottom of mold being too cold??

Thanks Bunny! I was SO paniced that my CATALPA, Solas mind you, was going to give me fits with my palm wax!! Now I know that I just have to have my molds all the right temp! LOL However, I am going to play to recreate this.............lets see if I can! LOL

Hugs to both of you for responding so fast!!

Lynn

Thanks so much for all the info! Its funny because I had just taken a batch of candes out of the molds and poured another batch with the new scent and this happened. I poured 24 pillars and it was just this batch that did this. All of the others were perfect!!

You are all the best!! Thanks for helping!!

God Bless,

Lynn

"Pitch Black" (flakes - either from BCN or Cocoon). You can never really get real black with palm though - I remember this set - the liquid wax looked like tar. I messed this one up though with the repour - see that over flow on the right?.

Oh - it was also poured really hot - then kept in a warm oven. The wax was the original Astorlite stuff - it would reallly splinter up nice if cooled that way.

I just love palm wax!!! Yes wicking is a boop but.........oh well, I enjoy the wax so much that it is worth it to me. I just wish I could adhear ribbons and lace to this wax.

I have to order more wax here next week and was wondering if there is a way to get the feathered palm to crystalize? The bottoms of my candles are crystalized just like if I had used the crystal palm, the tops are feathered like they should be. Is there something I can add or do to the feather wax to create a crystal effect so I can only buy the feathered palm??

TIA

The feathered palm wax holds 6% FO so it depends on the FO Chris. The hot and cold throw are decent.

I just made a HOT PINK, my daughters favorite color, in Love Spell and TRIED to repeat the effect that I got with the Catalpa and WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO I did! LOL I also poured one with a warmed mold and it came out perfect!! Thank You all for your help in TEACHING me WHY this was happening!

God Bless,

Lynn

I had the same problem in the beginning with palm wax. It was because the bottom of the mold is cold when the was is poured. As the mold warms due to the wax being poured, the palm crystals form and the upper section looks normal. Try warming the bottom (which will be the top of the candle) with a heat gun.

Fredron