Grubby Electrics

I am sure that there is another name for it but it was this white ring made from air freshner material and they placed it around the light bulb for when the fo loses it strength from the candle itself. You are supposed to add a couple drops of the fo to it and it refreshes the scent. I just thought it seemed more like an added expense and a fire hazard but the lady that was selling them said they had been tested and were safe.

I make grubby electric's, I don't use the rings. I would think that they would be useless, as the are usually used with a regular light bulb. A grubby you uses a 3watt bulb which wouldn't even get the ring hot enough to release any of the frgrance. Just my opinion.

Pam F

I make grubby electric candles, too, but never heard of using a light ring either. Seems like it would be a fire hazard to me. :confused: All I use is a light cord with on/off switch and a low wattage silicone bulb. The candle sits on a rusty tin plate with a pip berry candle ring around it. Then, I tie a strip of homespun cloth around the middle for decoration.

I have sold a whole lot of these at work because everyone thinks they are the greatest! Tried selling some at a craft show on Saturday, but didn't do well with them. Only sold one!

I sold so many of them at work I had to invest in another grubby silicone mold to keep up with the orders! :grin2:

oh i see how this is done....it's those air freshener blanks

cut out to sit on the bulb

personally i do'nt like the look of it....and it's just an extra gimmicks to show that product will smell good or what not...

when i make my grubby it's so strong that you don't even need to turn the bulb on to get the scent.

Dani

That is what I told people Dani about mine. I was the only one there who had an electric candle on so people could see and smell. I did have people ask if I had the rings and I told them that to me it seemed like a fire hazard and that I was not willing to assist in burning their house down.

Also that I did not see the point since the warmth of the bulb illuminated the scent from the candle anyway. There were also people selling the fo oil with the candles so people could just drip the oil on the candle if they wanted extra fo.

Oh Candybee from here got into the show. She found a show more local to her and knew that I had been wanting to do the show so she gave it to me and I took some of her stuff to sell along with my own. I think the same people that had the grubby's also were at my show because I remember them having that name and they were from WV. I guess they had different people doing both shows.

I didn't see the rings you were talking about though. Weird. They're grubby's smelled nice IMHO. I'm sure yours do too. I don't know why you would need that ring though. I would think just using refresher oil on the inside of the candle would work as Dani suggested.

I am not experienced with grubby's so I wouldn't know. I would love to learn how to make them though.

Chauna

They are carnation candles and the girl that was at my show was the sister of the girl who actually makes them. The fo rings were attached to the hanging tag labels on the candles. They were not in the candle itself. They were beautiful candles. The only difference in hers than mine are that I do not wrap mine in homespun or do the rusty tins that she has attached to hers.

Then she also sells the replacement bulbs for $2.00 and says you can only use her bulbs. I am not sure how well they did at your show but they did not do so hot at mine.

The woman who was helping her, a friend said they were doing okay at the show. But who knows maybe she was just saying that. Her candles smelled great. Just weird that she uses the rings around the bulb and tells everyone that you can't use other bulbs. As long as they are the same wattage u should be able to use any kind u want.

Chauna

I think that any bulb would work with them. I am so excited, my Mother took about 12 of my candles and 3 of my electric ones to the Vet and to her Doctors office and she sold all of them. Then she took orders for more electric candles to be made by Christmas. Gotta love Moms!!! Oh and BTW~ She bought me a presto pot today, went to Lowes and bought the items needed to make a spout and she is taking it home to make it for me. I cannot wait to use it!!!