An introduction and of course, questions...

Hello everyone,

I am really new at all of this, and have always loved candles. I was diagnosed with MS last year and have some yucky health problems, so I can't work anymore. I've started trying to make some things I love, with the spare time I have. Candles is one of those things I love. :smiley2:

I've been reading and reading for what seems like weeks now. You are all so knowledgeable and a great source of information and the more I read, the more confused I get....LOL.

I'm practicing with a soy wax I got at BCN. I am working on tarts to start with. It just seems like my scent isn't strong enough...even though I'm adding 1 to 1 1/2 ounces.

Now for the silly questions...when I measure out a lb of wax, is that a lb of unmelted wax? lol Also, how do you make a candle that doesn't show so much soot? And is it preferable to do a mixture, like soy and parrafin?

My husband is tired of hearing me complain, so he forced me to ask....lol...if my questions are really silly, it's all HIS FAULT! :D

Thanks for any help....

Suzy

Welcome Suzy!!!

I use and love the soy/paraffin blend from Farmhouse. It is called 50/50 and although every wax has it's faults the one thing I love about the 50/50 is it burns clean. I love that I do not have to add anything to it. It is already there for me just to start making candles!

As far as measuring......I am probably different than most on here. I really do not measure my wax because I know that my pots hold 4 lbs of wax.

If you have been working all day or even an hour or two you probably have candle nose and cannot smell your tarts. Go outside, sniff some coffee or have your hubby smell the tarts and see if they smell strong enough to him.

I wish you luck in both your health and your candle making!

Hi and welcome aboard! One pound of melted wax is the same weight as one pound of solid wax. Or flakes, granules, whatever. Candlenose is a very big issue, normally I can't smell candles in my house because the scent sticks when I pour, but I can smell them at work. One to one and a half ounces per pound of scent is usually plenty, and you should be able to smell them after you clear your sinuses! Sniff coffee grounds or go outside for a few minutes to smell unscented air, then try it.

Welcome!

Now for the silly questions...when I measure out a lb of wax, is that a lb of unmelted wax? lol Also, how do you make a candle that doesn't show so much soot? And is it preferable to do a mixture, like soy and parrafin?
I usually have a spare bucket of questions myself. After one conundrum is put to rest, more spring to life... doesn't seem to end. Feasible wicking can do wonders for the reduction of soot. But, it really depends on your particular application in question. For example, excessive FO can contribute to the problem as well.

There are many types, combinations, and blends of waxes so it really is a personal preference. Shipping and availability of materials from suppliers can also be important in that decision. A case of 415 can be bought for just under $40 + shipping, while a particular case of 70/30 can be around $70. Add shipping... :tongue2: It really just depends on what kind of candle you want to make,... and aesthetically, what kind of life you want it to have. :smiley2:

Best wishes!

Thanks so much everyone for all your help!

I guess it's all trial end error, eh? hehe

I read somewhere about Crisco and I was saying Hmmm....to myself. I couldn't figure out what that was all about! lol

As far as scents go, I'm using my neighbor's smeller...and she's been telling me what is working in her home. =) She's a candle freak, so she's happy that she's my guinea pig!

I guess it's off to do more reading! :)

Thanks again, everyone!

Suzy

Another thing to think about with straight soy wax is that not all FO's throw well with it or you need to cure it a week or so to get a good throw. That is one reason I use a soy/paraffin blend.......you get a better throw without the hassle. If you don't get a good throw with a particular FO, you may need to look around for a different on.

As far as the crisco.....the soy waxes when they first came out a few years ago seemed to throw better if you added a bit of crisco. That isn't necessary with the waxes now and may just cause your candles to soot more.

Have fun with your new adventure and remember if you aren't happy with what you are using, there are plenty of suppliers, waxes, wicks and FO's out there to test. You will eventually hit upon the right combination that will fill your needs!! :cool2:

I use Ezsoy from BCN. I melt my wax and add my FO at about 175. I believe this helps the oil bind to the wax better and help with scent throw. Also Soy needs to cure for a week or two to get the best throw.

As for soot, you need to make sure you aren't adding too much FO and dye plus the wick very important. Too big of a wick will kick off soot.

my suggestion would be to find suppliers that test in soy (415) some that i use and have not had any trouble with their fo's are.

millcreek-mcsoywax.com every scent is tested in soy

thecandlesource.com fantastic oils and inexpensive

solascandle.com

naturesgardencandles.com

ics-candlesupplys.us most are good but they need a longer cure time.

there are several others but these are the ones i use.

as for your soot problem maybe your wick is to big, the amount of fo.

welcome and good luck.

Welcome to the board ... measuring a pound of wax would be in solid form (it will weigh the same melted) ... I always use a digital scale (Walmart).

Candlenose is common - but it's always good to get opinions from the board about good suppliers and strong scents; doing a search really helps too.

To cut down on soot, you may have to use a smaller wick or less fo. The only way you'll know for sure is to test.

Asking questions is a good way to learn ... we were all new at this once ... even experienced candlemakers ask questions. :smiley2:

Welcome to the board. I have never used soy, so cant help ya there. But make sure you are mixing your FOs well when you add them to your wax. I stir my wax for a good minutes or two once I add FO. It also makes a difference at least in parrafin what temp you add your FO at. I usually add mine at 180. Maybe someone can let you know if soy is the same as parrafin. Its very confusing, and sometimes I still get confused lol. :)

I can't believe how much help you all are! Thank you sooooo much!

The funny thing now is this: poured a few votives today and am now burning one. It cracks me up!! It's burning hollow from the top to the bottom with the outside wax still staying hard! Oh my goodness...I have SO MUCH to learn!

Wish me well....looks like this will take lots of practice!!

Suzy

Thanks for that tip....I get so excited that I want to test them out right away!:embarasse

Nope, I didn't burn the votive candle in a tight votive type jar...I guess it was a little bigger than the votive itself. BUT it's still burning, an hour later! LOL Yayyy!

Now I'm putting them in plastic bags in the freezer, is that a good place to store them?

Thanks so much for the awesome help! :)

Suzy

Now I'm putting them in plastic bags in the freezer, is that a good place to store them?
Storage at room temp. should be fine, unless you have extreme temps inside the house. If you made a lot of candles, you'd probably run out of room in the freezer. :smiley2: