Newbie Needs Help

I'm obviously a "newbie" because I need help with everything! I'm trying to decide between IGI 4627, Astorlie J225, IGI 4630, and IGI 6098 in the Paraffin/Paraffin Blend category, and Golden Brands 464, EcoSoya CB Advanced, NatureWax C3, and Enchanted Lites Millenium Blend in the Soy category. I would appreciate anyone's viewpoint, especially those who have used 1 or more of these waxes. Also, should I just stick with 1 category or the other? Is it too much to be doing both Soy Candles and Paraffin/Paraffin Blend Candles? What do you all think? Thanks in advanced for any and all help! I really appreciate it!

There is so much testing in candlemaking, I would just pick one type of wax to start with, and perfect it before moving on. I wish you luck, just be ready to spend alot of time on just testing, and please remember that it will take time and money to perfect your candle.

There is so much testing in candlemaking, I would just pick one type of wax to start with, and perfect it before moving on. I wish you luck, just be ready to spend alot of time on just testing, and please remember that it will take time and money to perfect your candle.

add money to 'spend alot of time' testing!

I have spent close to $500.00 in 2 months..

It is best to choose 1 wax type and test test test test test test, did I spell that right?

Test 1 wax at first... with 1 container, mold, etc...and 1 FO....TEST!!

Also a search in the the forums, it will help you, and us alot!

I am still a noob, but I see alot of posts that can be answered from searching these forums~!!!

And test test test test... use a digital scale and TEST some more!!!

If you want reviews on these waxes, do a search on here and you'll find tons of information. When you're reading the threads, take notes on the various waxes and then choose which wax sounds best for you. I would stick with one wax at first, whether paraffin or soy, and then if that one doesn't work for you, try another wax. Trying too many at one time is confusing and expensive. :D

I would pick one, soy or paraffin. Just buy one slab at a time to make sure you like the wax. They are all so different. I have been using the 4630. I like it, its is a true one pour(I pour at 160). Makes a pretty top on your candles. It is a little tricky to wick tho. But with any wax, you will have to test and see what wicks work well. I have found the zincs to work the best for me with this wax. Good luck, its alot of fun once you get it all figured out:)

I am a newbie also and have been working with IGI 4627 and found that this wax has excellent ct and ht when you use the proper amount of fo. IGI states it can hold 2 oz fo per 1 lb wax but found 1oz to 1lb works alot better. This wax can be messy to work with and I go throught alot of towels keeping my hands clean so I dont get wax every where.

Note: 4627 seems to mix well and pour well at 160-165 degrees.

Also try working with one wax not multiple as it gets very frustrating getting one wax correct. I am hoping to make this a business after I have perfected my techinque and maybe make some money from it but i will see. Just don't rush or it will take longer. Good luck