Calling All Virginians

You could buy wax at HL or Michaels (use the 40% off coupon)....But for fo or wicks or coloring, I would not go thru them......Shipping is expensive but you will figure out (eventually) which suppliers have great products and are close to you. Shipping is just part of it unless you are very lucky to have a supplier close to you (and most of us don't!)

I have always ordered my wax from C&S and scents from blue moon candles, candlewic, justscents and peaks. I am just TIRED of paying soooo much in shipping on the wax. Although Candlesandsupplies is 5 hrs away from me, I could drive there but the money I would waste in gas is the same as shipping.

GMP....what part of VA do you live in??

Northern Virginia, Loudoun County. I think C&S and Candlewic are about 3 hours away for me.

I have just started this hobby and have bought from Bitter Creek. I don't really have a good reason why, except they were recommended early on and I stuck with them. Someone else on this board was complaining about shipping to VA, it might have been "amynleebishop" I seem to remember?

Great, thanks! I am heading that way too on a trip up north for the holidays. I don't know if I will be able to stop or not, though. I suppose even if the showroom is poor, at least you can pick up supplies and not pay shipping, right?

If you think your shipping is high, try living on the Eastern Shore of VA. Closest wax suppliers will be C&S, Candlewic, CandleScience and Carolina Candle Supplies. Once you get going you can try ordering 4 cases at a time to get the 200 lb shipping discount.

i ordered 2 packs of primed cd wicks from candles and supplies and shipping was 9.50 and i live 1 hour from them.

Ouch!

There is a supplier in Mass that offers $5 flat shipping rate on all products execpt wax and glass. I've never used them myself, tho, just so you know...

That would be www.candlechem.com ... I haven't tried their fo's, but have bought other items ... good customer service.

Candles & Supplies have a minimum $10 shipping fee. In my opinion, their scents are hit or miss.

That is so weird, I have never had a problem with C&S FO's. They have always worked great for me.

Chauna~ I am in Charlottesville. (Home of the Cavaliers)

We are going North for Turkey day, so maybe I will take the trip and detour to some of favorite suppliers.

Too bad no one is thinking of moving their business here......:cool2:

I get my wax from http://www.candlescience.com They discount the ups hundred weight count by 30%. You can easily see what the shipping cost will be by playing around with the shopping cart. They are a great company to order from!

Which blend would you recommend using from this company?? I usually use the 1275 blend from C&S. It is a one pour blend. Anything there comparable like the 6006?

I drive to C&S or Tri-State to get my supplies. I just got tired of paying shipping for wax, jars, anything heavy. I'm saving a lot of money. I too am not all that impressed with C&S and i've seen Tri-State's warehouse-- you don't want to know how bad it looks if you buy from them. Its not climate controlled and its dirty to say the least. My jars had mold on them for crissakes!

For FO's I want the best so I buy premium FOs from good suppliers. I don't consider TriState or C&S premium-- they definitely range from average to poor quality.

It does suck that Virginian's don't have a good wax supplier in-state.

I have been making candles for a loooooonnnnggg time and I learned very early on that C&S is sucks. Their products are way overpriced, and the FO's are horrible. You dont know what you are missing if you are getting them there. You need to do some serious shopping around. The way to getting around the high shipping is to order all of your items at once instead of ordering here and there.