Show this weekend and ignorant people

I went to a show this weekend and there was a lady there that also made candles but they were gel.....and......she had all of this flammable material in them like the fake flowers, buttons and other items not made of wax. I approached her to be nosy and asked her if these were for looks or if she recommended people burning them. She said "Yes of course you can burn them" then she asked me why.....??? I told her b/c she had items in there that were flammable and that they would catch on fire. She said but there not "that close" to the wick are they???? Then I ask if she had actually burned any of these herself and she said NO!!!! Are you kidding me??? Do people not realize that you cannot just make a candle and sell it and that's the end? You actually have to take precautions to make sure you are not selling them something that will burn their house down. Can people really be this ignorant or do I expect too much out of others?:undecided

Lol, even I, who have been making candles for myself as a hobby fr the past few months (noob to the core still), know that before I gave any away as gifts to test burn them first, or similiar ones. LOL, well, if you have seen people drive, you know about the collective intelligence of society.

One word "PEOPLE!!"

That seems serious enough to me that I might have approached management and alerted them. Can you hear it on the news? Entire family dead. Fire caused by home-made candle purchased at XYZ craft show.

I did tell the lady that organized it and she seemed uninterested. It seems that people do not really understand the consequences of things like that. I mean you buy something from someone you do not know and you take it home where your loved ones are and you light fire to it. Hmmmm???

I'm new at this too & completely understand about testing & all, and would never sell or give away as gifts unless I test, but the real idiots are the ones that light a candle & walk away. That is also one of the reasons ppl lose their homes to candles.

I expereinced a fire with a candle. A Gel candle (not one I did)...I burned it & my god I was glad I was right there in the kitchen with it...It caught fire & lit up my wall....thank god I caught it in time, but to think if i walked away for 1 minute..I wouldnt have a house.

Kay

I shouldn't LMAO but I am. Try shocking your co-workers (I work at a newspaper) and someone sold candles with all kinds of flammables pasted to them. My only comment was poof or if you put them together, nice bonfire potential. They thought I was crazy for not seeing the beauty. I thought they were crazy for not seeing the potential for a really large flame, potential black walls, singed curtains or the need for a new place.

Funny you should say that I was just at the mall today and one of the carts in the middle sells gel candles. They were very pretty but I saw a lot of silk embeds in them. I would have a hard time burning them anyway they are too pretty to burn. So I would probably buy it for show. But I agree. I just made a large batch of wedding favor tins. I tested those so much just to make sure nobody would come after me. I even made a large warning label for the bottome so they would have no excuse to miss it.

Do ya'll remember those glade candles that had the silk flowers embeded on the sides?? Well one of those burnt my cousins home down! She lost her house, her dog, all of their childrens' baby pictures and almost her and her son's life. She and her son usually take a nap during that time of day and he was running a temp and did not want to lay down upstairs so they stayed down stairs and then she looked out on the porch and it was on fire......since she had no firewalls the home went up in a matter of minutes.

I have been a firefighter/EMT for yrs and it NEVER affects you like it does when it is family and there is nothing you can do.:embarasse

PLEASE ALL NEWBIE'S read these posts and always test your candles BEFORE you sell them to anyone!!!!!