Exposed to fumes - Hospital?

This should be a reminder to all of us that when working with the candles that we should always have a window open or a door. The toxins from the fumes when the wax and the FO's are heated are greater if we are constantly inhaling them (which we are). I always have windows open as well as a fan blowing from the kitchen to outside. Some of the FO's make me ill to smell in long periods.

Satori~ I hope that all turns out well for you. Please keep us posted.

Last night i was bored and started taking all of my half burnt candles and a peice of wax and heating it so it would go down into the jar. There were quiet a bit of fumes because i was using a mini torch to speed it along (yes i know now this was a huge mistake, it was also dangerous).

By "mini torch" do you mean the ones that you screw to a canister of propane or MAPP gas? Or the littler butane ones? Either way it's dangerous to use any kind of torch in an unventilated area. Remember, a by-product of combustion is carbon monoxide.

It was an inclosed room. I had a fan blowing out the window but it could not get it out fast enough. I didnt notice how the room smelt untill i left then came back in.

The thing is, a fan blowing out the window will NOT properly ventilate a room. You *must* have fresh make-up air from the outside coming in from somewhere behind the fan. If your fan is pushing 300cfm out the window, you must have the ability to concurrently draw 300cfm of make-up air into the room to maintain positive exhaust flow.

Also your fan has to vent at a high enough rate to move the bad air away from you quickly enough for your application. The size of the fan needed will depend on the size of your room, among other considerations (stagnant air spaces, flow blocks, etc.

I hope the Dr. can give you something to help relieve your symptoms. Take care and be safe! :)

I hope all turns out fine and you will be back to making candles safely.

I have to add something too and have some wonders.I did let everyone know when my husband had pneumonia.I think it was a bug but after the fact I realized he had been doing our full strength car air fresheners even on front porch.Plenty of air but I couldn't stand it when I went out(like some I have chemical problems with to many at once).Not till after he was OK and out of hospital I started wondering about all those fumes from Full strength FO.So all seemed OK till 2 days ago.He started coughing alot.I asked"are you getting a cold or sick".He said it just started and kept clearing throat and seemed to be choking.So now tonight he goes back to doctor.It was going to be about the head injury that happened at work but now I will mention to doctor about his breathing and coughing.Oh and he said his chest hurts a little now.So I am concerned about a what I hear of being a chemical pneumonia.Also wonder will he keep having problems.He is never sick.It had been maybe 2 weeks prior to him getting sick he worked on fresheners but that is something I will talk to doctor about.

LynnS

I hope all turns out fine and you will be back to making candles safely.

I have to add something too and have some wonders.I did let everyone know when my husband had pneumonia.I think it was a bug but after the fact I realized he had been doing our full strength car air fresheners even on front porch.Plenty of air but I couldn't stand it when I went out(like some I have chemical problems with to many at once).Not till after he was OK and out of hospital I started wondering about all those fumes from Full strength FO.So all seemed OK till 2 days ago.He started coughing alot.I asked"are you getting a cold or sick".He said it just started and kept clearing throat and seemed to be choking.So now tonight he goes back to doctor.It was going to be about the head injury that happened at work but now I will mention to doctor about his breathing and coughing.Oh and he said his chest hurts a little now.So I am concerned about a what I hear of being a chemical pneumonia.Also wonder will he keep having problems.He is never sick.It had been maybe 2 weeks prior to him getting sick he worked on fresheners but that is something I will talk to doctor about.

LynnS

Lynn~

I will keep your husband in my prayers and wish you the best.

I'm sure you'll be fine, good for you that your going to the doctors. I had something similar happen to me, but it was my first try at a presto pot and smoke was everywhere. I think I told the story before on here. I started coughing like a bark cough from all the smoke and had an asthma attack. My throat hurt for a few days then it was gone.

Lesson learned, lol.

Mindy :)

Wow. If you have asthma, I would certainly question candlemaking.

If you decide to continue making candles, you best pick up a kick butt respirator type mask.

Seriously, if you thought you were going to die, I would assume you'd get your butt to the ER ASAP. You wouldn't be here, posting on a message board. Then again, people do things that make no sense to me.

None of us should be giving you medical advice, no matter what.

One other thing. You may want to retract your statement. Talk like that

will get you kicked to the curb real fast.

I'd like to see those deleted posts too. But I'm guessing the the OCD played a big part in his panic over this. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is exactly what it sounds like. A sneeze could be pneumonia, and a migraine could be a symtom of brain cancer. Of course I don't mean to minimize a real medical issue. I totally agree with taking precautions and I hope everything turned out allright.

ETA- Oh wow, I just realized all the posts were gone. He did make metion of OCD in one of the first few posts. Said he was a 21 year old guy and was paraniod about health things because of OCD. So, there you go. He made it back to delete stuff, hope that's a good sign.