Making money at shows

What are you happy with when doing a show?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What are you happy with when doing a show?

• 1-3X booth fee
    • 3-6X booth fee
    • 6-9X booth fee
    • 10X or more booth fee

Booth fee is just the beginning of making a profit. Way too many other things to consider when doing a show and counting profit or loss when it's over. Things I consider:

How far away was the show from home? How much gas did I have to use to get there and back however many times for however many days? Did I do anything different this show? i.e. new displays? different packaging? How many hours of my time do I need to account for? Did I have any help that I need to pay for? And a biggie.. how much do I need to subtract for supplies from this profit? So, while a certain dollar amount x my booth fee may sound great, what does it really mean? nada for me! :)

Booth fee is just the beginning of making a profit. Way too many other things to consider when doing a show and counting profit or loss when it's over. Things I consider:

How far away was the show from home? How much gas did I have to use to get there and back however many times for however many days? Did I do anything different this show? i.e. new displays? different packaging? How many hours of my time do I need to account for? Did I have any help that I need to pay for? And a biggie.. how much do I need to subtract for supplies from this profit? So, while a certain dollar amount x my booth fee may sound great, what does it really mean? nada for me! :)

Prairieannie, I am with you on this one. When looked at with everything taken in to consideration, sometimes these things aren't worth all the time & effort involved.

I figure like Robin (when I make anything :undecided ), but another consideration is how long have you been doing this? Like was stated in the other thread, what made me happy at the first show would make me cry now. I'm growing slowly and I know it will take time to get to where I really want to be with shows. I count my learning experiences as assets, too!

When talking about shows, sometimes talking about the amount can be deceiving to people just starting out. My first shows sucked big time about three years ago. I made very little and was very discouraged. I have stuck it out because I consider myself somewhat of an optimist and didn't want to be a quitter. Last year was a bit better and this year I have been doing very well. I have found that I am getting more returning customers each year and they are buying twice as much as what they did before. People are always tentative with homemade products and want to try them first.

I feel that my work is finally paying off--I am still not where I want to be, but feel I will be there in the next year or two. It seems I am having to win over my customers with my products, but I am confident they will come back and bring friends :)

I actually calculate the x from booth fee + basic expenses, like gas and food. So that's taken into consideration.

I figure like this too - but I don't do food because I bring my own from home that I would eat if I was at home anyway. ;) For gas, I use milage and "pay" myself $.23/mile so that way I get my oil changes and stuff in there too as some of my shows are 700+ round trip.

If I don't make AT LEAST 5x my costs, I don't return to the show - well most of the time. There are shows that I've done two and three times and have done well - except for this year - but I'll go back next year just because my customers know where to find me. :D Hopefully next year they will bring a friend (or two or three...).

Life & Light!

Tish

I go into a show with an expectation of how much inventory I should move based on a lot of factors. Happiness is determined by how well I met that amount.

1) I'm relieved when I've met expenses (booth & ad fees, travel, lodging, meals, etc.)

2) I'm satisfied when I've met expenses plus 30% of remaining inventory

3) I'm happy when I've sold more than 50% my remaining inventory

4) I'm downright hysterical and buying a round of drinks for my show buds when I've got nothing but my displays to take home. :D

;) For gas, I use milage and "pay" myself $.23/mile so that way I get my oil changes and stuff in there too as some of my shows are 700+ round trip.

Tish

You may want to up that mileage that you pay yourself...2005's rate for tax purposes was 40.5 cents and if I remember right from my tax course this semester, it will be 44.5 cents for 2006 returns plus you can add any parking fees and tolls. But maybe you are expensing that extra as a "unreimbursed business expense".

Just a thought,

Jennifer