So irritated with this fundraising crap for my daughter's trip....

Michi

she's trying to earn money (over $1600) to go to Washington D.C. and NYC etc. to see all the monuments, it's her 8th grade trip.

So far they've had her selling small candy bars and cookie bags etc. for $1 and those didn't go over very big, and we ended up buying most of it. :rolleyes2

I thought selling my candles and/or soaps might be good and bring in more money, but not sure how to go aobut it at all.

I know, I know, do a search. LOL I will, but just wondered if anyone had done a fundraiser for their own kid, just one kid, KWIM?

I guess I'd just need to figure out what to sell, figure costs, take pictures of products and then make a brochure right? GREAT, I can't even make a label, let alone a brochure. :undecided LOL

If anyone has any sage advice about doing this, please please chime in.

Just an idea..but how about doing it for several of the kids trying to raise money?? If the candy didnt go over big for you..it probably didnt for them either. If the other kids sold your stuff too..you could raise twice as much for your daughter :)

Hmm what would be the kids' incentive to do this? The only other kids I can think of to do this would be other kids that are going on the trip also. ;)

Although my five year old son, would be the best seller-he is sooooo NOT shy at all, and I swear he could charm the skin off a snake!! LOL

Hmmm, the thing is I'm scared to do this? What if I can't handle it? I haven't even attempted to put this together but it would need to be done soon (like October or November) so that I can get those people buying for the holidays etc.

I haven't even looked at what goes into a brochure etc.

Maybe this is just over my head right now, and that's why I'm hesitating?? I don't know, I'm such a big chicken and procrastinator. :rolleyes2

I've never done a fundraiser but I print my own brochures. You can download a template off the Microsoft website and play around with it until you are satisfied. If you have a digital camera, you can even insert some photos of your products on your brochure as well. Send it out to friends, family, neighbors, co-workers. You may be able to generate sales this way without having to jump into a fundraiser before you are ready for it.

Any possibility of just setting up a table at the supermarket on Saturday? Make a poster explaining the sale and the trip. Cash 'n carry, no orders. You have no stress about trying to make more than you can handle...course you have the stress of trying to sell what you have made. It's a thought. I've always got someone trying to sell me something going in or going out. I'm usually a sucker.

My daughter ( went too) went on her 8th grade Washington, DC trip two years ago and it was the best trip we've ever been on. The history back there is unbelievable!

I sold $200 worth of candles in four hours at our church craft show. I would've probably sold more if I would've made a sign that it was for the DC trips. Some of the other fundraisers we did were a car wash, Christmas catalog sale, cookie dough sale, Krispy Kreme fundraiser (this one went very well for us, but that's because the closest Krispy Kreme to us is 3 hours away) and a big BBQ. All of the food was donated so we didn't incur any of those charges. For the Krispy Kreme fundraiser and the BBQ we sold tickets to the car dealerships and real estate offices and offered free delivery if they bought so much.

See if the local mall or Walmart will allow the kids to set up a gift wrapping booth at Christmas to wrap gifts. Then get the parents and kids to sign up to work and divide the money that was made. (Decide how this will be done and put it in writing so everyone knows how it's done.) At our fundraisers, it was rule that the child AND a parent had to participate in order for the child to get any money.

The school in my mom's area sets up a booth at the Annual Fall Festival and sells snow cones, drinks, etc. Many of these events will allow the schools to set up for free.

If I can think of more ideas, I will post.

That also would be my suggestion,craft shows and now is the time to get into them.Some advertise a couple of weeks ahead and ususally have space available.It could cost least about $20 and a really big one could be $60-100.I have done just as good at small one as big ones.The bigger they are the more candlemakers but still I do pretty good.Wickless candles are getting popular so make a few of those with also the wicked candles.Have a variety and not just one size candle and nothing else but make the sign big enough for the cause.First though ask the organizers if this is OK.I am doing a show and they do not want things like charity.They do pick a few orgs to do the food booths but mostly it is the festival that is organizing the show that does the food and the rest is crafters and not non profits or charity booths.You could just do the shows and make money if this type of thing would not be allowed.Alot of other kids will be trying to raise the money also and finding ways like you.

But I am. I was all set to take some of your advice (all good ideas thank you soooo very much! :) )

Then I get an invoice in the mail this past weekend, saying I'll owe an installment of $453.03 by Oct. 20th WTF?? No notice at all of this, just send it in the mail, and expect that all these kids can sell those stupid candy bars over and over again and make that much money, I don't think so!! GRRRRRR

I'm sooooo mad right now, I swear, I do not have that kind of money laying around right now, although I do have that much money (and more) in supplies, but now no time to get anything together really to sell and make that much before that date that is fast approaching, gosh darn it all!! :mad: :mad:

Then, the next installment of the same amount is due in Jan, right after Christmas, ugh!!

I've got to get her on this trip, we've already paid out over $400 that is non-refundable.

You would think the school would offer better fundraisers I swear, those puny little candies and meat sticks that you can buy for like .59 cents and they are having to sell them for a $1. ???? And how many times can you go around the neighborhoods selling the same gosh darn items.???

Okay off to have a good cry and nervous breakdown...,.... :(

I know you may be frustrated, but make up some candles with the supplies you have and ask friends and family to chip in and either buy or sell, let everyone know you are raising funds for your daughter. When someone says fundraiser to me, I reach in my wallet. You don't necessarily need brochures if you don't know how to do that....just do it a little informal. People will understand. Even have your daughter go around with a sales pitch about the trip. You'll be surprised

My 9 year old daughter makes smelly jellies in the little one ounce jelly jars that I got for a steal on ebay. She sells them each for $1. In less than two hours one day she sold 40 of them. Just imagine if your daughter was selling $5 or $10 candles how fast she would make the money for her trip.

Dont give up without a fight. I know I personally cant say no to a child, and neither can most others!!

Pam

Boy Pam ain't that the truth lol! Just got hit up for Boy Scout popcorn lol!

Michi, we met a gal at a craft show who sold enough containers as a fund-raiser to send her daughter to China. I don't know the specifics of it, but gosh you've got some good ideas here. Don't let your frustrations set you back :)

Don't give up. I know it seems overwhelming right now but it can be done. Whomever is planning the trip isn't doing a very good job if they havent' helped with fundraisers and telling you when the money is due.

Selling cookie dough might be a good idea right now. I had people begging for it just before Thanksgiving when my daughter sold it. People love having it for their holiday baking. The good thing with it is you take the orders and collect the money when it's ordered and then it's delivered a few weeks later.

Also, make up some candles and sell them.

Forgot to add a link that might help you...http://www.fundraising.com/

Hmm what would be the kids' incentive to do this? The only other kids I can think of to do this would be other kids that are going on the trip also. ;)

Although my five year old son, would be the best seller-he is sooooo NOT shy at all, and I swear he could charm the skin off a snake!! LOL

Hmmm, the thing is I'm scared to do this? What if I can't handle it? I haven't even attempted to put this together but it would need to be done soon (like October or November) so that I can get those people buying for the holidays etc.

I haven't even looked at what goes into a brochure etc.

Maybe this is just over my head right now, and that's why I'm hesitating?? I don't know, I'm such a big chicken and procrastinator. :rolleyes2

I would be able to help you with a brochure for a fund raiser. I could then send you the file and you could either print it or have it printed.

Thanks girl I really appreciate the kind words!! **smooch** :D

My big problem I think is that I cannot manage my time sufficiently. :rolleyes2 I swear, I have too many things to do and never enough time in the day, and then I ge overwhelmed and get NOTHING done. :eek:

Ok, I can make killer candles that burn and smell awesome, but labels, and brochures and the business end of it, I am just lost and overwhelmed. :(

I think I need a business manager who's a computer guru who would do all of that for me. LOL

So far, I only have these really cute 4oz. glasses I want to use, but I'm unsure of what else to offer????

Of course then there's the testing and the time that that will take, OMG what the heck am I doing?

I've got a million different jars here, but none that really say, "yeah, use me!" And none that have been a successful test as of yet, or tested at all.

This may or may not come to fruition, and then what? Who knows, some how some way I'll have to pull a total of over $1300 out of my arse.

Ok, taking a deeeeeeep breath and trying to relax..........

Thanks girl I really appreciate the kind words!! **smooch** :D

My big problem I think is that I cannot manage my time sufficiently. :rolleyes2 I swear, I have too many things to do and never enough time in the day, and then I ge overwhelmed and get NOTHING done. :eek:

Ok, I can make killer candles that burn and smell awesome, but labels, and brochures and the business end of it, I am just lost and overwhelmed. :(

I think I need a business manager who's a computer guru who would do all of that for me. LOL

So far, I only have these really cute 4oz. glasses I want to use, but I'm unsure of what else to offer????

Of course then there's the testing and the time that that will take, OMG what the heck am I doing?

I've got a million different jars here, but none that really say, "yeah, use me!" And none that have been a successful test as of yet, or tested at all.

This may or may not come to fruition, and then what? Who knows, some how some way I'll have to pull a total of over $1300 out of my arse.

Ok, taking a deeeeeeep breath and trying to relax..........

Make a daily list. Check things off as they are completed. It will help. I say go with the jar/container that has been tested. It doesn't need a label (except warning label). and go to the candle chauldren (sp?) she has a sample of a fundraising sheet. Voila! It's done. It doesn't need to be an all out formal fundraiser. Give some sheets to your friends, family etc to take orders, tell them to let people know it is for a little girl that wants to go on a school trip.

It will work out. Don't panic. Take a few breaths and go for it!

Michi,

Make up to 15 different products maybe scents if you have that many with your 4 oz jars. take pics of each one and email them to me. I will make the brochure and edit the order form I posted in the other thread. you can then print on full sheet photo paper and you will be ready in no time. you will see. Even if you dont have 15 scents make a few candles with scents you have and then name more of scents you are sure you can get. I will make a nice simple 1 page brochure of a couple candles and then detailed descriptions of the scents. Your daughter can collect the money when people order and then you can make the candles deliver in maybe a week or 2. make some tealights for her to show as samples maybe.

Check your PM

Doug