Craft Show Starts tomorrow

dcroome2005

Thank you all. Next time, I am NOT listening to hubby with the riser thing. LOL I am going out this week to find some nice cloth to put on the risers for the Oct 28th Show. It was so weird how the scents I thought would sell didn't and the ones that I didnt think would sell would. I sold a few Honeysuckle Blossom Jars. I only made these even though they are more a Spring/Summer scent for people who may like more floral and I just love this scent. I sold the cinnobuns incase people are interested at 2 for $ 10 in the box. I sold 9 boxes of these and wish I had made more.

I don't know what it is, but this is the best craft show I have been in. The people from the school ran it ( principle and faculty) and it was the most professional one out of them all. They advertised on the tv, radio and all the local newspapers. People were coming up to me saying " I saw you here last year, remember me? " I was like it wasn't me, first time here." This was their 23rd year doing it and I wish all craft shows ran like this one. I can't wait to go back next year.

The only gripe I have about craft shows are some vendors that are allowed to sell there. Maybe someone can help me out here.

What is the craft with Pampered Chef, Mary Kay and Home Interiors? Ok, I know home interiors carries crafty things for the house- but they aren't made my crafters like we are. Pampered Chef? Come on.. And Mary Kay?? Now, I am a consultant and have been for 5 years. I understand that to some people there is an "art" to putting on makeup, lol, but where the hell is the craft in Mary Kay?? She was selling her crap there and I kindly went up, grabbed her business card and let her know that it was against her agreement and that she was not allowed to do it. Well after getting into a pissing contest with me and I just happened to have an agreement in my car to show her that this was illegal", she said she was gonna do it anyways. GRRRR. I see these 3 businesses at craft shows all the time. Why do these people allow them to come in? That just makes the "real" crafters have less of a chance to get in because the spaces fill up with people like this. It drives me insane!

Other than those- they had the best vendors around.

Ok, off my soap box.

Thanks all who have given me advice. You don't know how much it is appreciated. I will fix what is wrong and take pictures at the next one ( which is this Saturday coming up) and take more pics. I love to improve!

Christina

My Mary Kay consultant told me that she is allowed to do a craft show but really not supposed to sell products. If she would do a show, it would be to get appointments for facial/makeup classes set up. So basically it would be more of getting herself out there to more people than her regular customers.

As far as the home party plans being there...sometimes I think the promoters give in if they are kind of desperate close to the deadline and want to fill all spaces so they let them in. Don't you just love it when they start unloading boxes and boxes with their company's name on them...or the boxes that all say Made in China.......LOL. I could be wrong but I think these home party plans do have some sort of shows that they do just for them. I was checking out some shows near me on craftlister.com and clicked on one which only wanted home party plan vendors. So I didn't apply...LOL...didn't want to try to invade their space like they do ours.

Maggie

Congrats on the sales girlie!! :highfive:

I have a few suggestions for you.

First off, table coverings to the floor in a neutral color.

Then perhaps go to Walmart and get a few yards of a nice autumn pattern and drape those over sideways (diamond shape- make them cut each yard individually) for a bit more of a "theme". Cover those risers girl, tell your hubby that "pretty" is your department and he is there to carry the heavy stuff.

Then I would take ALL the candles and put them on risers, mix the colors for more interest. People are draw to color, for some reason. Those zinc shades are darling, I would put every one of them a candle- they will sell quicker. Keep the candles and the B&B separated. For the price markers, I would get three of those acrylic 8x10 photo holders and put all the prices on one sheet and scatter them thru your set up.

Those cinnamon bun candles look awesome!

I also really like the frosted candelina jars. Great work!!

My Mary Kay consultant told me that she is allowed to do a craft show but really not supposed to sell products. If she would do a show, it would be to get appointments for facial/makeup classes set up. So basically it would be more of getting herself out there to more people than her regular customers.

Maggie

Oh, your consultant is correct on this. They can get appoinments and names and what not, but they are not allowed to collect money for anything at the show. This is what this lady wasn't understanding and refused to follow. I really tried giving her the benefit of the doubt thinking she was new and maybe no one told her about this. She knew it and refuse to follow the rules.

\

Congrats on the sales girlie!! :highfive:

I have a few suggestions for you.

First off, table coverings to the floor in a neutral color.

Then perhaps go to Walmart and get a few yards of a nice autumn pattern and drape those over sideways (diamond shape- make them cut each yard individually) for a bit more of a "theme". Cover those risers girl, tell your hubby that "pretty" is your department and he is there to carry the heavy stuff.

Then I would take ALL the candles and put them on risers, mix the colors for more interest. People are draw to color, for some reason. Those zinc shades are darling, I would put every one of them a candle- they will sell quicker. Keep the candles and the B&B separated. For the price markers, I would get three of those acrylic 8x10 photo holders and put all the prices on one sheet and scatter them thru your set up.

Those cinnamon bun candles look awesome!

I also really like the frosted candelina jars. Great work!!

I love your suggestion and will work on that this week. I absolutely hated the frosted candelina jars. LOL Not one sold- maybe that is why. LOL

The thing that sucks at this upcoming show is I only have 1 table spot. This is going to SUCK SUCK SUCK. So I am going to have to leave a lot at home and focus on just a few certain things. I know I am bringing the cinnamon buns because I can't keep them on my shelf. They are the most favorite things to my online customers as well.

Oh, and if I had a quarter for evertime someone walked by and said " oh wow, it smells great here" I would be rich. I wanted to say " Well good, get your ass over here and buy something" lmfao

you have a cute set up!! Was this your first show??

the picture I posted of my booth....I only had one 8ft long table..So I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 2x4ft table for just under $30....and if you look at my picture I pushed my 8ft table back towards the wall 4 ft then I put my table I bought at wal-mart there...so I had kind of an "L" shape. So then as customers came they would actually walk into my booth and out of the traffic...which this was a very crowded show and I had so many people comment to me...that it was nice to look and not get run over. So thats just an idea of how you can do it if you only have one table. Plus I have been wanint another table in my candle room..so now I have one!!

Kris

you have a cute set up!! Was this your first show??

the picture I posted of my booth....I only had one 8ft long table..So I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 2x4ft table for just under $30....and if you look at my picture I pushed my 8ft table back towards the wall 4 ft then I put my table I bought at wal-mart there...so I had kind of an "L" shape. So then as customers came they would actually walk into my booth and out of the traffic...which this was a very crowded show and I had so many people comment to me...that it was nice to look and not get run over. So thats just an idea of how you can do it if you only have one table. Plus I have been wanint another table in my candle room..so now I have one!!

Kris

Hey, first for me this year.. I had no choice on how it was set up. We were in a hallway ( some of us) and we had to have it going straight across. I would of loved to have had a L shape area. :-(

Christina, it looks great and I'm glad you did well. I agree with covering the risers. I think some of your other product might benefit from some height, but not more risers. A little height, like a jelly jar case covered with fabric - just a boost, not a rise. ;) But everything looks great. Congrats.

My late $5 worth ...

Congrats on the show. Way to go. Which of you wanted more cloth on the table? Perhaps, and this would be me who screams more color is needed in my booth (because it is), yes, add something not too old womanish and not too glaring ... a great cream color (oh man there's no such color IMO) might be a great accent ... BUT don't listen to me. No one does lol.

Yeah I would add risers. i would add cloth to the risers too. I think you need more variances.

And as for indoor shows, well I need some massage oil to think more clearly ;)

My late $5 worth ...

Congrats on the show. Way to go. Which of you wanted more cloth on the table? Perhaps, and this would be me who screams more color is needed in my booth (because it is), yes, add something not too old womanish and not too glaring ... a great cream color (oh man there's no such color IMO) might be a great accent ... BUT don't listen to me. No one does lol.

Yeah I would add risers. i would add cloth to the risers too. I think you need more variances.

And as for indoor shows, well I need some massage oil to think more clearly ;)

lmfao.. Yes, I need more color! dang it.> Scented, get over here and help me.. I will give ya all the massage oil you need to take home with ya!