? About selling to relatives and friends

cybersix

Hi, I need a little advice!

Some friends and some relatives are asking me to candles or airfresheners for them, and I don't know how much I should charge.

Do I ask the wholesale price? Do i ask wholesale price only to relatives and not to friends?

Do I always have to charge the retail price?

Good grief my candles are very pricey LOL

So please help, what do you usually do?

This the first year my friends and family seem to remember I make candles, so I never sold anything to them!

TIA

My closest friends and family get my special friend discount which is wholesale and just my friends would geta 30% discount. I just believe with a little savings they feel special and will probably buy more from you and give away as gifts. It you charge retail then they can just go out and buy another persons candle. As long as you get back what the candle costs and at least double that then whats the harm in a litlle goodness. Remember good karma.

My family serves as guinea pigs, so they never need to buy anything--I keep them loaded up with lotions and soaps. If there ever comes a day when they would need to buy I would only charge them what it costs to make it. I'm not out to make money off of my family.

When it comes to friends I feel the same way, however it depends on how good of a friend I think they are as to how much I would discount it.

My family serves as guinea pigs, so they never need to buy anything--I keep them loaded up with lotions and soaps. If there ever comes a day when they would need to buy I would only charge them what it costs to make it. I'm not out to make money off of my family.

When it comes to friends I feel the same way, however it depends on how good of a friend I think they are as to how much I would discount it.

Very kind to do this, but I can't afford it for now.

My supplies cost too much, that's why my candles are not so cheap, and my business is not ready to stand on its own.

And everyone of them wants at least 4 candles.

They are buying as xmas gift for friends of them. they never used one candle.

I don't want to make money on my family, but in fact they are first time buyers and I bet (because I know my chickens LOL) they are occasional buyers.

I make candles from a lot of time and nobody ever bought one.

I will go with the wholesale price or with a 30% off of the retail price, I have to do some math then I'll decide.

Thanks to all for your opinion!!!!!!

One thing I've noticed is that if I issue a coupon, it's people I don't know who will take advantage of the discount. Those who are close to me won't use the coupon, they insist on paying full price. A family member once told me I must charge her full price and not give any free gift or else I will go bankrupt selling to her!

One thing I've noticed is that if I issue a coupon, it's people I don't know who will take advantage of the discount. Those who are close to me won't use the coupon, they insist on paying full price. A family member once told me I must charge her full price and not give any free gift or else I will go bankrupt selling to her!

Yes, I have a friend taht buys only airfresheners, and she refuses my discounts.

With my cousins and other friends I didn't talk about price yet, sure I know they don't expect to have things free, but I would like to treat them well without going bankrupt!

Sabrina, why don't you print out a coupon to give out to those close to you. It is then up to them whether or not to use the coupon if and when they do make a purchase. I wouldn't make the discount too huge in case they decide to give the coupon away to another friend (whom you don't know).

How about:

Your shop name

What items you sell

Your URL and phone #

20% off

expiration date (optional)

Sounds ok, now I will think about it, as you said a coupon can go in other's hands, while if I decide for a "family and friends" discount it's up to me!

:D

I give my friends a 10% discount off retail, my sister gets 20% and my mom won't let me give her a discount she pays full retail. When I try to discount it she gets mad at me and tells me "Well you have to make a living" So I just roll my eyes :rolleyes2 and charge her full retail.

Well the "relateives" are not mum and sister, they obviously have things free if they agree LOL, because as many of you said they want to pay ALWAYS.

These relatives are two cousins who lives in another city, and our lives go in separate ways, sometimes my mum hears them on the phone (they are her dead sister's daughters) and one time a year we take the car and go to say "hello!"

They are not even testers. They have never saw one of my candle. I sent them my web address only the past week, because they asked.

I'm not so rude as you may think, I will give to everyone (friend, relative) a discount, and if I had a real business or my supplies were cheaper I would be happy to give something free, but it's a matter of math: no income (even if little) no other candles.

I'm in a bad period for finance, but you can be sure that I'm generous. But I can't give everyone ten candles for free!!!

Anyway, I aprreciate really much evry point of view, I will do a discount because I'm happy they though about me for their christmas gift, and I'm happy I have a reason to pour other candles.

Thanks to all!

That sounds good Sabrina. And remember you can always change it if it doesn't work out as you had planned or expected. The reason I am hesitant to give out a high discount coupon (e.g. 50%) to family members is that if they give the coupon away, then others are going to start thinking you can afford to give such a big discount. As a result they will only wait to buy when on sale like this because they will feel your everyday prices are high.

You're right, we have to educate customers LOL

and after the bad experience I had today with a store bought candle, I feel I could even not apply any discount!!!!!

Just joking, I try help others when I can, and this is true even for my friends who wants candles.

Thank you!

I can't imagine charging full price to family. Immediate family gets product at wholesale prices......friends get 30%, and parents just pay cost.

During the holidays I just ask that everyone orders early, so I can make them when I have time or am already pouring a particular scent.

Why would you even give out a coupon? I would feel pretty silly handing out coupons to relatives.....if they want something they know my number and my website.