how strong of a fragrance can be expected from a votive?

I always myself lite up 2 or 3 sometimes 4 of them at the same time...that was before I started to make them.. which has only been about a week now..and so far only tested one at a time in a bathroom .. which is not a huge room.. but it did it's job.. You could always tell customers that one alone is not intended to fill a huge room with fragrance .. that it will take several..:cheesy2:

so I was planning on packaging mine with 4 votive's with one tight fitting votive cup combo..

Good luck..

Cathy

I have to say that when I made votives for my wedding this past January that my parents backyard smelled like roses and lavendar for a couple of days from the two boxes of them sitting on the deck for a day. I still have some left over and two of them, without burning, scent a 200 sq ft room, once they are burning they can be really powerful and I stayed at 3%.

You could always tell customers that one alone is not intended to fill a huge room with fragrance .. that it will take several..

I respectfully disagree. I would never tell a customer that it will take several of my candles to scent a room, even if it were just votives. :undecided That just doesn't sound "good", KWIM?

I've had votives that run me out of the room. :wink2:

well with respect also....

I have only made a few of them myself... and have only tested a couple..which did do there job.. in the bathroom.. as far as bigger rooms I have not tested them.. I know with the store bought ones that I have purchased over many, many, years that they DID not scent up a whole room for me.. but then we are talking machine manufactured not quailty..

so that was my way of thinking at that point..

I did not mean to upset anyone with the comment about the larger rooms.. but I will package mine in 4's..

and I am sure handpoured votives are 100% better then anything you buy ..that is not..

Have a great day:cheesy2:

well with respect also....

I know with the store bought ones that I have purchased over many, many, years that they DID not scent up a whole room for me.. but then we are talking machine manufactured not quailty..

so that was my way of thinking at that point..

I did not mean to upset anyone with the comment about the larger rooms.. but I will package mine in 4's..

You didn't upset anyone. :undecided Just putting in my two cents. :D

You are right, most store bought votives dont smell worth a flip. I used to buy them too, and never got any throw from them. In fact, when I started making candles, I didn't want to do votives, cause I just assumed from past experience they weren't very fragrant. :rolleyes2

My point was, telling the customer that it takes several of your candles to scent a room may discourage some from buying from you. Just something to think about. :wink2:

You are right, most store bought votives dont smell worth a flip. I used to buy them too, and never got any throw from them. In fact, when I started making candles, I didn't want to do votives, cause I just assumed from past experience they weren't very fragrant.

Hi That is the same way with me. I didn't want to do votives because I thought that they wouldn't smell up anything. I am a newbie and hearing you all and your testimonies about votives and their smell. I am going to try them. Do you have any tips for me? I don't know what would be a good wax for the votives. Do you have any favorite votive waxes out there that you use?

Thanks a bunch. That is really encouraging to me to know that the smallest candles can make a big difference :grin2: What about tarts? Can those give off a great hot throw also?

Veronica

A lot depends on what wax you are using. I find a lower mp wax is better for votives/throw. Instead of buying another wax I add a oz of soy or a single pour paraffin to my pillar wax. I do the same with my tarts! This brings down the mp a little bit and helps with the throw. Of course the scent you use will make a difference too, rose, blueberry, cherry, stuff like that is going to be stronger. I've had some scents I thought would be amazing and didn't do nothing, you just got to keep testing :tongue2: Generally the ones you love don't do squat, LOL.

i was thinking the same thing but didn't want to ask! i don't want to be rude and say hey love your candle and i want to make mine just like yours...LOL

it was the spring votive swap and i think it was a man who did the bubblegum! hmmmm i will have to go back and check!

i was thinking the same thing but didn't want to ask! i don't want to be rude and say hey love your candle and i want to make mine just like yours...LOL

it was the spring votive swap and i think it was a man who did the bubblegum! hmmmm i will have to go back and check!

I wasn't in the swap, but I think I remember reading that Bruce did the bubblegum votives.

i think that he is the one who did the bubble gum!

so bruce if your reading this your votive was the bomb :cheesy2: and would you like to share what kind of votive wax you use..pretty please???? lol

You know, I dont make votives to sell, so I tested 4 or 5 kinds of wax that I had laying around and I think the one that won the prize was an old Missys wax (pillar blend) that had to be 2 or 3 years old. Even Missys had discontinued it before they went out of business or maybe changed the name of it anyway. I might have posted about the wax on the old board...? I do know that most of the waxes I used in the test did a fair job on the scent throw, but I thought this one was the best.

Looks like I'm not much help, but I tried.

Bruce