Is Paraffin Ever Skin Safe?

Was just reading a thread about soy candles being used as lotions and wondered about paraffin. Whenever I get a manicure, I usually get it with a soak in paraffin wax which is supposed to soften the skin.

Is this safe? After reading on this forum, I'm thinking no???

I believe the paraffin that they use for manicures is unscented...at least the ones I have had. I think someone mentioned that if they are scented, it may be with a skin-safe scent.

I believe it is the FO and dye that causes the problems when you try to take paraffin or soy and use it on the skin. And, of course, THE HEAT of the wax when some people suggest you dip your fingers into the lit soy candle and rub it on yourself :shocked2: .

Not to offend soymakers, but don't believe most of what you read about it. Most of it is mythical. Paraffin dips aren't poisonous, won't kill you, won't ruin the Leonardo Da Vinci you bought or won't give you cancer either.

Imagine if it were that bad, the waxing places would no longer be.

Calwax makes a specific spa wax

http://calwax.com/spawaxes.html

This is from their brochure (my bolding) at

http://calwax.com/Specs/CALSPA.doc

CALSPA wax is a specially formulated food, cosmetic, hypoallergenic grade wax product for thermal spa applications. CALSPA wax is formulated to yield a unique balance of flexibility and melting point. CALSPA wax is available plain, or with scent, color, or additives. CALSPA wax is designed for maximum comfort and ease of use. Packaging is available to your specifications in various sized bags or containers. Physical forms include pastilles, blocks and bags.

WHY USE CALSPA WAX? CALSPA is of the highest quality and purity available. Most competitive products comply only with FDA requirements. CALSPA also complies with the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) requirements making it truly a cosmetic grade wax.

Just seeing what they think is important in their advertising would make me think hard about using regular candle wax in any kind of cosmetic product

Ain't that the truth!!??? Good god that stuff stinks to hi heaven!!! It's the same shit they use to dye leather and use it in wood stains...GROSS!!! and to burn it???? Ah yeah...the soy won't kill ya but the dye will..

There is a supplier...damn can't think of the name...who has really nice not icky stinky dyes but you have to use ooooodles of the stuff....Just by Nature? I think that's the name of the supplier.

Paraffin is perfectly safe. Even paraffin with skin-safe fo is safe. It's the dye that will kill you! lol

I guess I'm wondering then, if everyone agrees that non-scented, non-dyed paraffin is safe for skin, why is their so much uproar about putting soy on the skin? Wouldn't that prove even safer? I do understand the part about having a lit candle flame being a hazard, but other than that, I don't understand why it's so bad if paraffin isn't.

Not trying to play devil's advocate or anything. I truly just don't get it. Any comments?

I guess I'm wondering then, if everyone agrees that non-scented, non-dyed paraffin is safe for skin, why is their so much uproar about putting soy on the skin? Wouldn't that prove even safer? I do understand the part about having a lit candle flame being a hazard, but other than that, I don't understand why it's so bad if paraffin isn't.

Not trying to play devil's advocate or anything. I truly just don't get it. Any comments?

Apart from the dye and fragrance and labeling, it's often about using the candle flame to melt the wax and not knowing what the temperature of the product might be. Besides, it's silly. If people think that's a great skin treatment, it's a lot easier and cheaper to buy a container of Crisco vegetable shortening, which is the same thing.

Besides, it's silly. If people think that's a great skin treatment, it's a lot easier and cheaper to buy a container of Crisco vegetable shortening, which is the same thing.

But the same could be said about paraffin treatments. The same could be said about ANY lotion. Most all lotions are made up of chemicals. A natural option is ALWAYS better, IMO. But people choose convenience over that all the time.

I guess I am just not convinced that these soy lotion candles are as horrible as they have been made to seem. (I agree, it is kind of silly, though. I would not bother with such a thing as having to wait for wax to melt just to use as a lotion. I mean, it's not like it's really some fountain of youth or anything. It's just a novelty.) But once the fire has been extinguished, and as long as the dye and FO are skin safe, I see no real hazard. Not any more than using lotion I'd get from the local drug store. If paraffin, which is produced from a chemical process, is okay to put on hands surely soy must be as well.

Just my opinion, though.

Apart from the dye and fragrance and labeling, it's often about using the candle flame to melt the wax and not knowing what the temperature of the product might be. Besides, it's silly. If people think that's a great skin treatment, it's a lot easier and cheaper to buy a container of Crisco vegetable shortening, which is the same thing.

So then.... if crisco = soy...then does vaseline = paraffin?

Just curious because we use oodles of it on baby bottoms and for many other uses. :shocked2:

IMO natural doesn't always mean that it's better/ safer/ healthier.

It's a money cow.... kind of like holidays.

I say....choose your poison.

I'm inclined to ask why you think soy is better. There's no proof out there that it is.

As for making candles into lotion candles, why make a candle to begin with? Why waste a wick? Why waste a jar? Why say it's OK to dip your hands into something that the take away will surely affect the end result. Too me, it's a waste.

The natural argument is kind of a red herring. You can slice and dice that one any way you want. Paraffin occurs in nature and vegetable shortening doesn't. Some natural things are good for you and others are toxic.

The bottom line is, if you think paraffin or vegetable shortening are good skin treatments, you can safely use the one you believe in as long as you don't overheat it. For the paraffin you can buy IGI 2281 or Candlewic CF. For vegetable shortening you can buy one of the Golden Brands products or just Crisco from the supermarket. A bit of skin-safe fragrance or color is optional.

Making either one into a candle skin treatment easily falls under the definition of "gimmick". More costly, less safe. Plus people who make them sometimes don't know what they're doing.

I'm inclined to ask why you think soy is better. There's no proof out there that it is.

That might be true. But then, there is no proof that it's really a health hazard either, is there?

I guess I consider soy to be better because soy has been proven to benefit the human body. Soy is used in menopause treatments. Soy is used as a meat protein substitute. It's used in MANY ways to provide benefit to the human body.

As for making candles into lotion candles, why make a candle to begin with? Why waste a wick? Why waste a jar? Why say it's OK to dip your hands into something that the take away will surely affect the end result. Too me, it's a waste.

As I previously stated, I agree that it doesn't make sense to make a candle only to use it as a lotion. There is no argument from me that it is a gimmick. Of course it is. Many things are. But the vibe on this forum is such that soy candles are the devil. I just don't see it as that big of a deal based on the reasonings.

The reason I asked the question in the first place was because I figured that if something like soy is so "bad" to be put on the skin, how come paraffin isn't seen in the same light? But like I said I don't see using soy as a lotion as being all that bad in and of itself. Taking it from a soy candle is silly, yes. But not deadly. That's all I wanted to understand for myself. Thanx for the replies.

IMO natural doesn't always mean that it's better/ safer/ healthier.

It's a money cow.... kind of like holidays.

I say....choose your poison.

Good point, natural doesn't always equal better. Ignorant statement I made earlier in terms of that, cuz I do agree with you.

However, I would not say I agree that it is a money cow. I do for the most part feel that when there is a natural product available it should be used instead of a chemical. While natural processes and products do cost more and take more time to produce, overall they are healthier for the body and the environment.

That might be true. But then, there is no proof that it's really a health hazard either, is there?

I guess I consider soy to be better because soy has been proven to benefit the human body. Soy is used in menopause treatments. Soy is used as a meat protein substitute. It's used in MANY ways to provide benefit to the human body.

As I previously stated, I agree that it doesn't make sense to make a candle only to use it as a lotion. There is no argument from me that it is a gimmick. Of course it is. Many things are. But the vibe on this forum is such that soy candles are the devil. I just don't see it as that big of a deal based on the reasonings.

The reason I asked the question in the first place was because I figured that if something like soy is so "bad" to be put on the skin, how come paraffin isn't seen in the same light? But like I said I don't see using soy as a lotion as being all that bad in and of itself. Taking it from a soy candle is silly, yes. But not deadly. That's all I wanted to understand for myself. Thanx for the replies.

Unscented (or scented with EOs and B&B safe FOs) and colored with skin safe yet candle safe dyes at the same time ... I'd say there's no health problem. Or left pure white, no biggie either.

Actually there is a site that touches on soy-paraffin myths etc. It's the National Candle Association. There's also a site about the production of various waxes too, but I'm not arguing the points. I simply was asking why.

There's no proof that either of the waxes (IMO) are harmful, unless you sell Mia Bella, known to be among the most active myth promoters, as well as some soy users, who don't research. That's probably why you have a feeling soy is the devil or whatever.

That's probably why you have a feeling soy is the devil or whatever.

Actually, I don't feel soy is the devil at all. I was just explaining that in the threads I've read on this forum concerning soy candles as lotion, the idea was presented as a very dangerous product. That simply putting soy on the skin as a lotion was a bad thing. It's one thing to make a distinction about dyes and FOs and fire hazards (which does make it more trouble than it's worth), but it is not the "devil". ;)

Thanx for the info on the National Candle Association. I'll check it out.

Petroleum by-product: coats the skin like plastic, clogging the pores. Interferes with skin's ability to eliminate toxins, promoting acne and other disorders. Slows down skin function and cell development, resulting in premature aging. Used in many products (baby oil is 100% mineral oil!) Any mineral oil derivative can be contaminated with cancer causing PAH's (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons). Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.

• Mineral oil
  • Liquidum paraffinum (also known as posh mineral oil!)
  • Paraffin oil
  • Paraffin wax
  • Petrolatum

Personally if I had a choice I wouldn't burn it or put it on my skin....JMO :cool2:

for the record, petrolatum is far more expensive than paraffin or veggie wax. It is used simply because nothing works better. I get a real kick out of reading posts on the "dangers" of petroleum based products. There is hardly anything you touch, use, even eat, that isn't treated, processed, or used as an ingredient with oil in some form. For example, the meat (if you eat it) from the butcher or supermarket - all that stainless steel (tables & equipment) is soaked in mineral oil every night after washing. Food grade mineral oil is at least 99.97% free of carcinogens. Do you think soybean oil treated with bleach (to manufacture soy wax) is completely free of harmful chemicals? There is wax in the gum you are chewing, in the ink from your printer, on the box of frozen food and ice cream, on the yarn of your clothing, coating the medication that is keeping someone alive right now, and on and on. Petroleum is not without faults, but it is hardly the demon it is made out to be. There is nothing on this earth that is more flexible in its use than oil. It is really quite a remarkable substance...but I shouldn't be surprised. After all Mother Earth makes it for us!

There is also hormones and antibiotics in our meat as well as pesticides and herbacides on our veggies and we wash our dishes and clothes in chemcical surfactants then eat off of them and there are numerous chemicals and nano particles in our personal care, all the while being told that it will not harm us...unfortunately there is this thing called "Bio-accumulation" So I guess it doesn't surprise me that Petroleum products are in everything also. My post was in response to is "Paraffin Skin Safe" and clearly there are much safer moisturizer to put on your body, again this is JMO :cool2:

Edited for spelling

Really? Natural is better huh? So I guess that ecoli ridden natural spinach was perfectly fine. I think not. Natural is not always so safe and healthy. I am sick and tired of people using this theory just to market a product and scare customers into buying their crap.

As for the "reference" on FDA and all that, well that is pure marketing. Notice the link to that information is from the wax company that is being pitched.

Paraffin is perfectly safe to use on the skin. I get the stuff splashed on my face pretty often when i throw slabs of wax into my melter and forget the thing is gonna splash. I pour it on my hands by accident on a regular basis and guess what?? OMG!! No cancer yet!! Still alive and kicking. I OWN a praffin dip kit, and no where does the package say "any kind of certain grade paraffin". I think the most dangerous part of it would be the irritation of the skin from dye, and non-skin-safe FO. JMPO

No not deadly. The temp of the wax can be harmful to use in lotion candles though. As also the FO or dyes if any.