Need help getting started..

I would like to get started in making candles. Where do I start? Help. Been doing some surfing on net and researching, but there is so much...what do I believe and what don't I? So I guess I am just asking for a way to get my feet wet, and to give a go at candlemaking. Is there a book, or a starter kit, or what. Any and all help and guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

step 1: decide if you want to do containers or pillars. it is easier to start out with one and then move to the other if you want to do both.

step 2: get a starter kit for either the containers or pillars. peak's has both, i think. or, you might want to find a supplier that is closer to you to save on shipping. eventually, you'll want to find a supplier that is close or that has great prices and shipping. wax is so heavy and costs a lot to ship.

step 3: start playing around and take LOTS of notes. i didn't do so well at this, but i kept my testing to a few so, it was pretty easy to remember what i did.

step 4: look at the gallery and find candles that you like. take more notes on what you liked about them, what type of wax was used, etc. this will help you later on.

step 5: kiss all your extra money good bye! it will be spent on candle supplies from here to eternity!:laugh2: or until you quit.

welcome to the board and have fun!

step 5: kiss all your extra money good bye! it will be spent on candle supplies from here to eternity!:laugh2: or until you quit.

LOL! How true!!!

Seriously, what SnowCow said. And welcome to the addiction of candle making! :grin2:

Welcome!

It is always best to find a reputable supplier who is nearest to you to save money on shipping. Some of the popular suppliers are:

www.peakcandle.com (Colorado)

www.bittercreek.com (Texas and Wisconsin)

www.naturesgardencandles.com (Ohio)

www.lonestarcandlesupply.com (Texas)

www.cierracandles.com (Nevada)

www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com (Ohio)

There are many, many more, but those are the ones that come to mind right off.

Buy a kit and read everything you can lay your eyes on. Eventually it will come down to trial and error on your part, based on what you've studied. Kits from suppliers tend to have directions. Kits bought in hobby stores usually don't.

Welcome to the board and enjoy yourself :)

I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth in . Everyone is right on the money when they say start with a kit. A mistake that I made, and a few others from what I have read, is dont try to do too much at once. I read and read so many bulletin boards, and there are so many fantastic ideas, waxes, FO's, etc that its hard not to try them all..... but give it time.... find one thing that you do well, and expand on it. Dont limit yourself to just 1 kit. Try one, then another..... just to get a feel for what you like and dont like. I was strictly containers up until a few weeks ago, but now I am trying pillars. The arent as nerve wracking as I originally thought. Anyway, the point is, practice makes perfect.... dont give up... and always remember, you have all of us out here in cyber land to help, support, and just give encouragement if ya need it.. Welcome to your newest addiction :grin2:

I am still a somewhat newbie on here, but gotta stick my 2 cents worth in. Don't do what I did, bought wax, wicks, dye, FO etc. and thought all yu do is melt wax color,mix fo and pour into wicked containers. I was in for a rude awakening. No matter what kind of candle you are making you gotta read, read and read some more, then you gotta test test and do more testing. Not trying to discourage you but you gotta love it or you won't stay with it, it will become more like work. I really love making candles. There is always something new to try, never gets boring. JMO

I started with the Pillar kit from Peaks and I was immediatly ADDICTED!! :rolleyes2 I also did a lot of reading and printed out stuff from the F & Q for newbies,,I asked a lot of questions (when I finally got the nerve up). Also they have the Archives you can go through that has loads of information. The thing that I always remember is READ, TEST, TAKE A LOT OF NOTES. Keep track of everything even if you think its not important, WRITE it down!! Oh Also when you do start and you are in the kitchen,,go to wal-mart and buy the large white cutting boards and place them over your sink so you do not accidently pour your wax down the drain,,,VERY IMPORTANT!!!! you do not want a plumbing bill,,

Welcome to CT,,,

Welcome! I won't repeat the advice of the others before me...they were all correct in what they are telling you. The most important thing is not to get too frustrated when you first start. There is a lot to learn. You will encounter difficulties along the way...as we all did... but there will be many people here who will gladly assist you along the way. So have fun with it and be creative.