I finally did it!!

ruba

After a few years of wanting to make CP and months of research, I finally made my first batch of CP!! Yes it is boring (no color no scent), yes it is ugly, yes I suck at cutting...( I really wasn't trying to make them even...too lazy at the time, the bars a small rectangles not the size I will end up doing later)...but I still did it.

And I do have questions now. I am assuming that the whiteish "crust" on top is ash...when and how do I go about getting rid of it. I made it Sunday and cut it Monday...is it too late? Can I use a metal cheese cutter to get it off?

These are going out to friends to test out...I want to do a batch that is scented OMH for C-mas gifts, but don't want them to be crappy...KWIM? So I am planning on doing a second batch with a few different oils that this one and see what they like better. I need to know what the numbers in soap calc REALLY mean... I know what the recommended numbers are...I just want to know why and what the difference is for them. What kinds of things should I be asking my "testers" regarding the soap?? I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for...it was probably under my nose and I missed it... so I am sorry if I am asking a silly question.

Thank you in advance for any advice you wonderful people have for me. Now the pics... warning...ugly soap ahead.

100_2853.jpg

100_2856.jpg

Thanks Carrie!! I did cover it...but with a piece of cardboard and then with 2 towels. When I peaked after an hour I didn't see anything like gel going on...but I wasn't really sure what I was looking for either.

Can I cut it off or should I just leave it on and give my friends the "ugly soap but works" warning???

I will definitely put saran wrap on the next batch. I didn't even think of using that...DH got the cardboard because I said I didn't want the towels touching the soap. Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

The ash is no big deal. You can remove it by "planing" the top off the soap, or scrubbing it with a damp washcloth (you can wet it with rubbing alcohol instead of water if you wish). Or leave it as is - tell folks it's supposed to be that way - what'll they know???

Look around for the scent review link (I can never find it when I want it) and in the fragrance section for comments on different OMH's - some rice if I remember correctly.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice and all the encouraging comments! The ash does bug me so I will probably cut it or wipe it off tomorrow. After being in my Chemistry class this semester and handling all sorts of salts and acids...I figured it was time to jump in and stop being a chicken "sheet". I have no idea what I was so worried about...well, it was the fact that I have DD who is 6 and DS who just turned 2...and my fears that they would get hurt. I feel good with one under my belt...but as you all KNOW... it is NOT enough... another monster has been created.:D

TexasBrat-gotta love the $1 spot at Target...the bowls were so friggin cute that I just had to buy them and figured I will use them most likely for gift sets...I got 3 styles of them.

ashwini- I saw your beautiful soaps earlier and was going to leave a comment then got pulled away by the family...darn them. It looks great. The recipe is a simple one, nothing fancy in it

33% Coconut Oil

30%Crisco

20% Olive Oil

12% Soybean Oil

5% Castor Oil

the numbers from soap calc were

39 hardness

22 cleansing

56 conditioning

27 bubbly lather

21 creamy lather

68 iodine

154 INS

Not sure what all the numbers really mean but I think they were all in the recommended range. I am going to make another batch that is more cleansing and harder, I dont remember the rest of the differences were but I want to know what the numbers mean and the only way to really know is to do it and test them out.

If anyone sees a big problem with the recipe I used, please let me know what I can do different. I was just messing around with the oils I had on hand this weekend and was trying for something decent.... we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!!

Nice soap!! You did it, see it wasn't soo hard huh? ;)

Hey, I was eyeballing those wooden bowls/baskets, thinking "I gotta have those!!" I can't believe those were in in the $1 area at Target-WOW!!

Now I just wish I had a Target nearby. :(

:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice and all the encouraging comments! The ash does bug me so I will probably cut it or wipe it off tomorrow. After being in my Chemistry class this semester and handling all sorts of salts and acids...I figured it was time to jump in and stop being a chicken "sheet". I have no idea what I was so worried about...well, it was the fact that I have DD who is 6 and DS who just turned 2...and my fears that they would get hurt. I feel good with one under my belt...but as you all KNOW... it is NOT enough... another monster has been created.:D

TexasBrat-gotta love the $1 spot at Target...the bowls were so friggin cute that I just had to buy them and figured I will use them most likely for gift sets...I got 3 styles of them.

ashwini- I saw your beautiful soaps earlier and was going to leave a comment then got pulled away by the family...darn them. It looks great. The recipe is a simple one, nothing fancy in it

33% Coconut Oil

30%Crisco

20% Olive Oil

12% Soybean Oil

5% Castor Oil

the numbers from soap calc were

39 hardness

22 cleansing

56 conditioning

27 bubbly lather

21 creamy lather

68 iodine

154 INS

Not sure what all the numbers really mean but I think they were all in the recommended range. I am going to make another batch that is more cleansing and harder, I dont remember the rest of the differences were but I want to know what the numbers mean and the only way to really know is to do it and test them out.

If anyone sees a big problem with the recipe I used, please let me know what I can do different. I was just messing around with the oils I had on hand this weekend and was trying for something decent.... we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!!

Those are great numbers, congrats again :yay:

Thanks again guys/gals for the kind posts. I did end up cutting of the ash and I feel much better about how it looks now. Wow, cutting is going to take A LOT of practice. Maybe I will have to invest in a Kelsie...man those look cool. But for now I will have to deal with the "rustic" looking soaps with crazy edges:D . Not that there is anything wrong with the rustic look...I am just one of those gotta be "90 degrees" girls...can you say O.C.D.??;)

Thanks again and I will post more pics of future batches...and you KNOW there will be more.