What's with Golden Brands?

From what I understand, they are. There are some loop holes but I am sure there are lawyers working behind the scenes on this. They have a patent on the formula Mike Richards came up with. They do not have a patent that i know of for the making of standard soy wax. It is what is added to the standard mix that makes or breaks the blends. etc. I do not have all the info but that is my take on it.

Interesting.

So does that mean Golden Brands has been stiffing Michael Richards? I mean, he must be getting royalties from Cargill. Shouldn't he be getting them from Golden Brands, too?

What kind of way is that for Golden Brands to treat the inventor of soy wax.

What happens if we develop our product line around Golden Brands wax and they lose the patent infringement case? Do we have to start all over with a different brand of wax? Or will the price of Golden Brands go way up because they have to start paying royalties?

Just wondering.

I think it's an interesting question. I'd like to understand the intellectual property issues better myself.

However, the dramatic implications about GB possibly infringing on patents seems far fetched. As has been suggested, I'm sure their legal bases are covered as least as well as anyone else in the industry.

Besides, look at what they're selling. For the most part, it's vegetable shortening. I don't suppose you can patent the idea of stamping "soy wax" on a case of flaked shortening that would otherwise be sold for baking. Their blended container wax products have monoglyceride and/or cottonseed oil added to them. That's a recipe for cooking ingredients too. Look on a can of Crisco.

First and for most Golden Brands didn't start out selling soy for candles we did it to them when companies like KY and others realized that you could use it as candle wax. Their soy until very recently has been made for the food market. All of their soy is still food grade. It was just originally shortening flakes used for cooking and as an additive in some foods which was being used long before it was used asa candle wax.

So because until very recently they have not really manufactured for the candle industry there was no patent infringements. Now a patent is only good if you are willing to enforce it the government doesn't enforce it for you. And at this late date in the game it not enforceable. If you wait to long to take legal action about your patent or if a company can prove they where already maufacturing said item before you applied for a patent you will loss most of your rights to said item.

People are reading into things way too much now. Who cares as long as you the candle maker like whatever wax you are using and it is not breaking the law. When bakery's make cakes do you think they sit and dwell on what flour to use. No they pick a brand they like the best and what matters most is the finished product.

I highly doubt that any other manufacturer of soy wax and soy blends are infringing on Mike Richards original soy wax formulation at this point...his was the original Cargill C-1 wax formula. Things have been tweeked so much from there, that I'm trusting that all the patent and legalities have been ironed out. Heck, I e-mailed the Soyawax (Mike's company) about a month ago with a question on how his wax compared to another brand's performance, and his e-mail didn't contain any bitter undertones of feeling ripped off by other companies producing similiar if not identical products.

Interesting topic, but I'm trusting that the "big guys" have it worked out.

Gee I hope they got it all worked out since I am a big fan of Golden Brands.

If every one is so worried just call Jason at Golden Brands and I will bet you

he will put your mind at ease. I dont think they would jeapordize their company by ripping off a patent.