All-natural or not?

becky0404

All natural or not  

27 members have voted

1. 1. All natural or not

• All natural bases
    • Not all natural bases

What do you think sells better? I've been researching and I really want to start experimenting with a bath and body product line but I'm torn as to whether to do the all-natural (ex. Essential Wholesale) products or go with some basic bases that aren't completely natural (ex. Bitter Creek).

I voted not, because when I see "all natural" my first thought is bugs :)

But I like EW bases, I'm currently testing a bunch of them. Which I'll totally have to restart since they're reformulating to remove parabens.

But I also really like the BC base lotion, that uses propylene glycol. It's an awsome lotion.

So it's going to be up to what you like, and your target market.

In my experience with customers, most do not care if it's all natural or not. Of course there is a small percentage who does ask for all natural items. I used to use more essential oils in my soaps, but soon realized the soaps that had fragrance oils in them were selling better. Again there are a couple exceptions (Lavender/Lime does great, as does Sweet Orange). I made some really awesome Rosemary Peppermint recently and it just isn't selling well. This probably is my area. People here go for the smell first and foremost, whether it's natural or not.

Liz D.

I said "not" because when I see "all natural" I automatically think "not likely" and "overpriced".

What I would say is "I take care to use the most natural products possible while still providing a high quality, reasonably priced product."

I NEVER believe "Organic" anymore. And only care when it comes to veggies anyway.

I voted yes, for personal preference and the reason I started doing this, but I agree most people do go by scent, etc, before the ingredients. I do have a few people though, like me that cannot tolerate anything synthetic so.. for me its about offering both. I only make soap, although I tried buying a "natural" base for lotions and between the 4 I did, it was something in them that was irritating. Robinor states the paraben thing, but that preservative is mild compared to the preservatives (the germall line) that are formaldyhyde releasing. Its research basically.

Put me in the 'not' camp.

If something is 'all natural' according to it's label...that's great. But that's not why I'm buying it. So it would be more of a 'bonus' than a clincher. But of course, I know more now than I used to and I tend to agree with Robin... I now know that 'natural' tends to mean it doesn't last as long and is in fact suseptible to various influences and rather unstable. If I sold these types of products I would feel obligated to educate my customer on this fact and would essentially be 'educating' myself right out of a sale, lol. I think I'd be more impressed to know that the crafter of the product actually knows about what IS in it and chose those products based on the same things Carebear mentioned. And to know that it may not be all natural but it is the best compromise thanks to the crafters research. I guess it comes down to responsibility and feeling like you were looking out for me- period. I did however recently find a website that tells you all the cons of every imaginable chemical used in famous name products. But after spending a bit of time on the site I realized it's pretty much meant as a scare tactic to lobby for the more zealous of the Earth First type groups.(depending on how you look at it and that's just my opinion) Elsewise you would toss all your bottles of anything and shower in water only, lol.

I do not make soap yet but I couldn't pass up this poll...when I do it will be all natural...right now I only use products that are "Certified" organic...yes they must be certified to really know you are getting an organic skin care product. But I admit I'm one of "those" type that did way to much research into what is in the standard personal care products and have scared myself out of using it plus I'am a big advocate of the Green movemnet so I guess I would be one of those "Treehugger Granola Crunching" type customers....lol :rolleyes2

I do not make soap yet but I couldn't pass up this poll...when I do it will be all natural...right now I only use products that are "Certified" organic...yes they must be certified to really know you are getting an organic skin care product. But I admit I'm one of "those" type that did way to much research into what is in the standard personal care products and have scared myself out of using it plus I'am a big advocate of the Green movemnet so I guess I would be one of those "Treehugger Granola Crunching" type customers....lol :rolleyes2

And the lye you will be putting in the soap will be "All Natural"?

The word Natural isn't regulated, at least it wasn't last time I checked. You could legally put natural on a bottle of FO and try to sell it. I never use the word natural because it is a useless word in the B&B world, at least to me. It is a great word in the advertizing world, I'm sure you can imagine.

I'm just repeating the term that was put on here in the pole...when using the term "All Natural" I'm assuming that means no SLS, PG, Parabens etc... as far as using the term "All Natural" on products that does not mean crap as far as I'm concerned. Most if not all popular brands use the term "All Natural and Organic" with nothing to back it up. When you read the ingredients list it reads like a science project. That is whay I choose to use products that are certified "All Natural/Organic" by a third party to avoid the hype and "Greenwashing"

However I do realize that I'm in a minority of potential customers and will definitly need to cater to a niche market. :wink2:

I'm just repeating the term that was put on here in the pole...when using the term "All Natural" I'm assuming that means no SLS, PG, Parabens etc... as far as using the term "All Natural" on products that does not mean crap as far as I'm concerned. Most if not all popular brands use the term "All Natural and Organic" with nothing to back it up. When you read the ingredients list it reads like a science project. That is whay I choose to use products that are certified "All Natural/Organic" by a third party to avoid the hype and "Greenwashing"

However I do realize that I'm in a minority of potential customers and will definitly need to cater to a niche market. :wink2:

I've never seen anyone use the word Organic when it wasn't certified organic. (Doesn't mean it doesn't happen I suppose) The word organic is regulated and can only be used when your product is truly organic.

Which brings me back to soap. I'm curious, not trying to start anything...If everything in your soap will be certified organic except the lye, will the final bar be able to say certified organic? There will be no more lye present in the soap but it wasn't organic to begin with.

Ok...perhaps I misunderstood the orginal post when I answered this question. I was under the impression that it asked would you use "Natural Soap Bases or Not, please correct me if I'm wrong but I took that to mean was an M&P soap base. Which you can get Natural and Organic from Stephenson Soap Bases:

Special features of this soap include:

Exclusive formula. Made from 100% Organic Oils

Made in a facility certified organic by the soil association of the United Kingdom.

Neutral Smell. Wonderful Lather.

Color is light butterscotch not transparent due to the use of 100% organic oils.

Ingredients: Blend of 100% Certified Organic Palm and Coconut Oils (Saponified), Purified Water, Glycerin, Sorbitol

...you can also get an SLS an PG free base:

Special features of this soap include:

Contains no surfactants or Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate or Sodium Laureth Sulphate.

Glycerin rich pH 8.0 - 9.0.

Compatible with a wide range of fragrances.

Neutral odor provides excellent fragrance lift.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate and Sodium Oleate, Sorbitol, Stearic Acid, Lauric Acid

Also...I believe I said that I currently use "Certified" organic skin care products but I do not recall saying I was going to make "Certified" soaps...I said I was going to use All Natural Bases which I assumed was an M&P question.

As far as using the term "Organic" on a label it is used all the time on products...all that needs to be in the product is one or two ingredients that are organic and the term "Organic" can be displayed. If you ever go into your local Whole Foods Market you will see the term used consistantly on personal care products and then when you turn the bottle over and read the ingredients list it is full of SLS, PG, Parabens etc... The only way to avoid the hype is to buy "Certified Organic" by a third party...ie...USDA, IFOAM, JAS,ACO...there are very few companies out there with these certification because it is very costly to produce a product to meet these standards.

Anyway sorry for any confusion or misunderstanding on my part of the quetion that was asked, I hope that I did clear it up. :wink2: