craft show rules

jennifer

is this normal? rule 10. for a show i really want to do says,

"No candle burning or other strong fragrances in buildings or tents due to health & safety concerns of other vendors, visitors and Fire Marshal.."

i understand the no candle burning, but what exactly is thought to be a "strong fragrance" I mean, my aroma bead air fresheners are packaged so that the scent can be smelled through the bag--it has seriously helped my sales so far in retail settings. So do you think that might qualify since i would have quite a few of them there?

TIA

edited to add:

I do understand the health side of it also to an extent. when my mother was taking chemo treatments, we weren't allowed to wear perfume/cologne or even deodarant that was strongly scented because the different smells could make some of the patients sick. but this is being held in a fair building or if your unlucky enough, outside in tents.

I think strong fragrance would be something a person could smell without getting very close to your booth. They have to be able to smell the scent to make a decision. If your aroma beads are that strong, maybe bring a clear plastic box with a lid to put them in if someone complains. Some people are very sensitive to scents. I had one person make a point of steering clear of my booth complaining she was allergic or something. I didn't even have a candle lit. Personally, I don't see how that would apply to the outside vendors, but rules have to be followed I guess. If it's a real big deal, why would they even let candles and air fresheners into a show?

I wonder if having a lit candle keeps people from being able to smell all your scents as well anyway?

I find this rule to be reasonable. Even if the craft show doesn't have this rule, I still use this as a guideline for myself. I know a lot of you burn a candle during the show, but I'd be afraid to do it in case it got knocked over by someone's child or pet. As for strong fragrances this could trigger an allergy for someone so it's best to keep most of it wrapped up and then each customer can smell what they want by opening the lid or whatever.

I'd be in trouble! I just got home from day one of a two-day show and I had people tell me they could smell my candles coming up the aisle - and it was an outdoor show! I can understand the burning candle, but what is strong to someone is not to someone else...very subjective.

I see that I'm just going to have to call and get that part clarified or possibly even take a product over so that they can judge for themselves. I agree totally with the no burning candles part, I could just see it being knocked over. and you're right Georgia it is a very subjective thing. and Kristine, I know I wouldn't care all that much for somebody spraying perfume in the air very much if I had asthma especially, thankfully i don't.

thanks everyone for all of your input!

I get people just saying how they smell me anyway...I don't need to burn a candle or spray anything to draw them in. Usually they plunk in to determine which one they're picking up on.

Too much of a good fragrance to us, can be completely wrong for someone else. I want them to figure out on their own which candle to choose really.

I ask for clairification. I display one of each of my candles with the lid off . It's the way I've always done it and I'm not changin g the way I display my candles. If there's no open flame, you can use an electric tart warmer.

The only time I had a com plaint was when I was in a tiny class room in a grade school and five other crafters in the room. three of them demanded I put the lids on. They called the head of the show and she said there was nothing she could do because I said I did this practice on the entry form and WAS accepted in! So they had their line of customer form in front of my display. They bought candles on their way in line to the hair care booth.:laugh2:

But I never returned to that show ever again!

Fire