Where did you start out selling your candles?

ashncandles

I'm still a newbie. I have a booth in a craft mall right now. I'm hoping to have a website established by the first of the year and then I'll probably pull out of the craft mall. Hopefully I'll have a couple small wholesale accounts by that point too.:)

When I first started I worked at the local mini mart, so I brought in a few to burn them (my boss was very supportive of my hobby!)

One day they caught the nose of the owner and he asked me if I could put in a display - he would actually supply the display for me, I only had to fill it up!

400 jelly jars full!!! I had 50 different scents and filled that display up!! We put a little sticker on it that said "handpoured in Spring Valley" and they sold like gangbusters. I think the whole display was gone in less than a month & by the time it was empty, they switched owners and the new guy didn't want my candles, but that was ok - I had other accounts!

After that was my local craft mall, craft shows & home parties (while trying to run my website!)

Got out of the craft mall, the shows & the home parties then concentrated more on the website. Not as much work and the profits were better!

Got noticed a little and got a partner (ugh) - she talked me out of my house and into a facility we didn't need. She left, I picked myself up and moved to a new shop in a smaller town with littler bills.

Now I have both the shop and the website, but the website is 98% of my business.

Well, I can tell you the one I'm in, and the ones I've been to are like a very large store that rents out booth space to crafters of all types. Soaps, candles, wood work, art, anything handmade. So I have a booth in this store and I pay rent each month. I keep my shelves stocked and candles on display, and they ring them up and make sure all is well in the store. I do have to pay a % on each sale in addition to the rent. But I see this time as an opportunity for me to hone my product. See what sells, what looks good, what people are willing to pay. It's been a great learning experience so far. But to be totally honest, it hasn't been very profitable. I'll get out when I get my game plan together.;)

Where do you find these places at? i have looked at craftlister.com and just searching online and they are a few really big ones that i do not want to start at. There is a small one where a local health food store puts on but it is hit and miss and depends on how many people sign up if they are going to even have it or not. Where do i find a craft mall?

A craft mall is totally different than a craft fair or craft show. The craft mall I'm in is a real building and it's open 7 days a week. I don't have to be there to man my booth. I just go re-stock and organize once a week or so. I signed a lease for the space so it's a long term commitment. I haven't done a craft show yet. But I'm sure many others here can give you tips on finding them in your area.

Im doing the same thing as Hillary is doing and have a booth I pay rent for each month and pay 5% on top of that.I am just keeping it stocked and watching what people buy and trying diffrent things to see what works.....I wish, sometimes , I could watch from the sidelines and just see and hear what people say when they come by and sniff and or buy , ya know , a little verbal feedback !!!

Im doing the same thing as Hillary is doing and have a booth I pay rent for each month and pay 5% on top of that.I am just keeping it stocked and watching what people buy and trying diffrent things to see what works.....I wish, sometimes , I could watch from the sidelines and just see and hear what people say when they come by and sniff and or buy , ya know , a little verbal feedback !!!

do you ever go hang out at your booth?

When I restock on large scale, I go there on a staurday and hang out all day, and talk to people get feedback etc...

how about a comment box?