In your opinion - as a business owner...

KristinesShower

What would you say that the midwest needs more of regarding B&B and candle.

I am talking Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Missouri area specifically.

All opinions are greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure what you are asking?

Are you asking if these states need more suppliers, or something else?

If asking about suppliers...Nebraska needs a supplier for candle stuff.

As far as selling, there are a ton of people that try it.......but personally I get so tired of the half job I see when they do it...Slapping on labels, no labels, throwing things together because it is 'homemade'.

No offense to anyone in particular - I don't ask the names of the people that do that, just shake my head. LOL....my sister is one of them. She does gift baskets and just throws crap - I mean crap in there...doesn't use filler does not shrink wrap so when she has glass items they shatter....shame. The sad part is she sells alot of that crap...Maybe I am just in a different league - even my husband said he knows I would put him out if he brought me home one of those baskets. :laugh2:

Off my SOAP box now....lol

Well, I live in Iowa, and I'll tell you right now that we need more suppliers of wax, FO, wicks, jars/packaging and other general candle-making essentials. Sure, we used to have BNL's...but now their butts belong to BCN in Wisconsin. And we are apparently the original home of soy wax, via Michael Richard's Soyawax out of Cedar Rapids...which IMHO, there are now far more advanced and superior soy waxes available. Also, there doesn't seem to be any suppliers in our state for high-quality paraffin waxes. I do get my wax from a grain elevator in Watkins that has been turned into a distributor of soy products (they sell C-3 Naturewax), but being in Waterloo, it's almost 2 hours away, and with gas prices, it's costly to get there and back...and shipping is not that much less than many out-of-state suppliers, to be honest.

Other than heading to Wal-Mart or a grocery store for a case of jelly jars (usually not smooth-sided as many of us prefer), glass jars are the thing that kills me...it's costly to buy jars, and the shipping can be ridiculous. And to pay $6.00 for a $5.95 pack of wicks is a bit over-the-top as well.

I would love to see a supplier in Iowa that has a great selection of wicks, jars, wax (paraffin and soy), molds, etc...for those from a state that doesn't have these items available locally, I know you want the same. FO's are an investment I am willing to shell out the $$$ for in terms of shipping from a different state, because to me, the scent makes the candle.

I'm still trying to decipher the question, lol. :)

Are you asking if we wished there were more suppliers in this area, or if there is a need for a larger B&B or candle market?

If you're asking if there is a need for a larger B&B market -- I'd say the market is saturated with B&B makers. Candle makers, too.

I wish Illinois had more suppliers. Especially for fragrance oils & waxes! I agree with Mizbizzyb. I see a lot of half-assed products, at least here in So. Illinois. Everybody wants to make a quick buck instead of putting some actual work into it. Can't remember how many times people have asked me to show them how to make candles and B&B. They want to be shown everything step-by-step so they can "start their own business!" :laugh2:

Suppliers I am talking about.

I have been really thinking about this lately because I think I would like for my husband to quit his job. I don't want him working with me, but starting his own business would be ok LOL What I am trying to do is see what we really need in this area and maybe bringing it here to the midwestern states.

My husband is a work a holic and he likes the business, but doesn't want to make anything. He told me the other day that he would be interested in doing the supply part, but no way on the making. I never knew he felt that way, so thus - wheels :)

Suppliers I am talking about.

I have been really thinking about this lately because I think I would like for my husband to quit his job. I don't want him working with me, but starting his own business would be ok LOL What I am trying to do is see what we really need in this area and maybe bringing it here to the midwestern states.

My husband is a work a holic and he likes the business, but doesn't want to make anything. He told me the other day that he would be interested in doing the supply part, but no way on the making. I never knew he felt that way, so thus - wheels :)

I think that is so cool! My hubby and I discussed the same kind of thing. Of course that would be a long way off for us. I can barely sell a candle right now! lol... I wish you lots of luck.