Soy candles sold as lotion

Why would one limit their candles to only skin safe FO's so that they could sell it as a lotion?

The only reason I use only body safe FO's at this point is that $$ is an issue and I do make b&b products to match, for gifts. Candle, soap, lotion, body spray all in the same scent. My friends and family like matching sets, as do I.

Lisa

ok...I have been reading this post for a while so here goes my opinion and I will probably get blasted by the B&B folks for this... but here goes....

If these candles are being made with 100% soy and EO's they are much safer then traditional body lotions. A traditional body lotion will have a host of chemicals in them that are suspected or are carcinogenic and some linked to breast cancer.

Parabens:

Used as inhibitors of microbial growth and to extend shelf life of products. Widely used even though they are known to be toxic. Have caused many allergic reactions and skin rashes. Highly toxic. Recent test has linked this chemical to breast cancer.

Propylene Glycol:

Propylene glycol (PG) is a petroleum derivative. It penetrates the skin and can weaken protein and cellular structure. Commonly used to make extracts from herbs. PG is strong enough to remove barnacles from boats! The EPA considers PG so toxic that it requires workers to wear protective gloves, clothing and goggles and to dispose of any PG solutions by burying them in the ground. Because PG penetrates the skin so quickly, the EPA warns against skin contact to prevent consequences such as brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities. But there isn't even a warning label on products such as stick deodorants, where the concentration is greater than in most industrial applications

Silicone derived emollients:

Silicone emollients are occlusive - that is they coat the skin, trapping anything beneath it, and do not allow the skin to breathe (much like plastic wrap would do.)

Recent studies have indicated that prolonged exposure of the skin to sweat, by occlusion, causes skin irritation. Some synthetic emollients are known tumour promoters and accumulate in the liver and lymph nodes. They are also non-biodegradable, causing negative environmental impact.

• Dimethicone
  • Dimethicone Copolyol
  • Cyclomethicone

Mineral Oil:

Petroleum by-product that coats the skin like plastic, clogging the pores. Interferes with skin's ability to eliminate toxins, promoting acne and other disorders. Slows down skin function and cell development, resulting in premature aging. Used in many products (baby oil is 100% mineral oil!) Any mineral oil derivative can be contaminated with cancer causing PAH's (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons). Manufacturers use petrolatum because it is unbelievably cheap.

• Mineral oil
  • Liquidum paraffinum (also known as posh mineral oil!)
  • Paraffin oil
  • Paraffin wax
  • Petrolatum

...I could continue but will leave it at that...so in my opinion the biggest issue with this product is that some people will think all candles are ok to put on their skin and children will also want to imitate this idea so all though I think the candle in general is not harmful it is the consequence of using it improperly that will cause most of the problems for the public as well as us the candle makers who will most likely have to add several more warnings on the label JMO :smiley2:

I don't make much lotion but if I remember right they always say to use about 1% Fragrance Oil in your lotion, above that can be hard on the skin. If you use that same recommendation for using a soy candle as lotion.... there is no way you can get a throw worth a darn from that 1% FO load. You either make a soy candle or you make a soy lotion candle and market it only as a lotion product. Cant have it both ways and make a safe product. Bruce

I do 100% soy as well and dont use this tactic. its dangerous, I actually had it done to me and with out my permission as well and I told her it was unsafe to do with the dyes and fo, even if its essential oil you have to wonder what % she put in it and my hands actually burnt and itched until I was able to clean it off. Those who use this tactic are dangerously close to getting into trouble:undecided

Brandy

Yes I do know they sell lotion sticks and maybe there is a recipe???BUT this sales pitch of using HOT soy candle wax for a lotion is Outrageous.I have also seen chapstick sold but not sure how to make it.

I will never change my mind on this.I would even be afraid someone might do it when they got home after purchasing my candles and if something bad did not happen (if I was stupid to show them) the customer might go home and get scalded.It can be that hot and I don't care what anyone says.If alot at one time was to topple on someone I guarantee it would be BAD.

WAX is HOT when burning.

LynnS

Lynn- I do agree with you- I did tell someone last fall not to do it- the wax itself would not hurt them and some FOs are ok - some not- would never remember which one were ok- the dye is a big concern also- what I am looking for is a solid lotion bar or stick- I know it has some oils added to it- not straight soy wax and of course only body safe oils and only body safe color- if any color at all but can't seem to find an actual recipe.

Actually the wax itself can be irritating--read the MSDS sheet for soy wax, this is for Ecosoya Wax (taken from there site http://www.ngiwax.com/ProductInformation/MSDS.php):

Section 6: Health Hazard Information

Health Hazards (Acute & Chronic):None known.

Threshold Limit Value:As liquid or solid: None.

Oil Mists: 15 mg/m3 total particles.

Health effects:Excessive inhalation of oil mist may affect the respiratory system. Hot oil mist is classified as a nuisance particle by ACGIH. Sensitive individuals may experience dermatitis after prolonged exposure to the skin.

Emergency First Aid Procedures:Accidental contact with eyes requires flushing with copious amounts of clean temperate water. Wash skin exposure with soap and warm water. Call a physician if symptoms persist.

NOTE: Hot melted wax can cause serious burns. Treat burns with normal first aid procedures and call for emergency medical treatment immediately.

Hi Folks,

Just thought I would add my 2 and 1/2 cents worth. I am selling soy candles at the flea and farmers markets now and I had a lady dip her fingers in my burning candle this weekend. Well you can imagine my shock at this, I mean is this a stupid thing to do or what! As shes doing this shes telling her friend how good this is for your skin. She did end up buying 2 candles from me (because mine smell great) I can brag a little right? The long and short of this is according to my best friend who is a licensed doctor working for the United States Goverment , They use hot wax for arthritis patients to dip their hands in as its therapeutic. However its not like sticking your fingers in a burning candle which is so stupid. Plus the wax for that contains no scent what so ever.

Dipping in wax has been around for a long time. Actually it's generally done with paraffin which has no benefits to the skin. Paraffin dipping is popular in salons. Some are lightly scented and made for this particular application hands & feet. A lotion is applied underneath (treatment), the paraffin is manily used for warming and opening the pours. It is also used in some facial treatments as a warming pack. I'm sure the heat of the wax would be very beneficial to arthiritis/make it feel better. Of course these things are done by licensed professionals and don't require a wick. However, you can get dipping machines at the store and they are heated by a warming element.

I totally agree with Bruce, unless you are scent overloading (risk to skin) those candles can't be very good. All hype if you ask me and trouble in the long run. I guess people will do what they want though and laugh all the way to the bank.

• 1 month later...

Well I checked out the soy candle vendor that was at the Autumn Leaves Festival in Mt Airy, NC. I walked into their booth and there were some other customers in there. I thought I would fall over when I heard what they were telling them! They were talking about dipping their finger in the wax of the candle and putting it on people's hands to show them how they could use it as lotion!:shocked2: It took all my self control not to say something! I did not stay in there long but I was not even approached! We are going back to town today and I am going back in there. I will update later. I will try to hold myself back...:rolleyes2

I was just remember a called that I received a long time agofrom a friend and and she said it was a soy candle and I could also use as a perfume. I assumed you rubbed the wax when unlit. So I just went and found it and looked a t the label. It stated on the label that it "makes a lotion, last a long time, helps heal cuts and burns. Dozens of scents." Didn't notice that before I used burned it for the fragrance. But cuts and burns. And it was scented with gardenis which I am sure is a syntheic fragrance because most of them are. I just hope people use are smart enough just to use the candle to burn as a normal candle and not anything else.

Im real sure the FDA would love to see that candle maker.

Bruce

Yea...unfortunately the FDA is too busy kissing the butts of the big drug companies to pass their very un-safe and barely tested drugs to even pay attention to something like this...:tiptoe:

First of all I agree that candles wax should be used for candles only. I won't go the extra mile to burn a candle and then spread it on my body. I will go the extra mile to buy a bottle of lotion that is guaranteed skin safe. I would be terrified that someone would break out from the product and then come after me with a law suit. Where I am from people love law suits. As far a sales pitch. I hate it when I go to a craft show and yes I have had chandlers come up to me and ask me have you ever tried soy? Instead of telling me politely "If you have any questions about the products feel free to ask me then go about your business. But I play the game and let them sell me their pitch because it sounds like a snake oil salesman. I feel like am buying a car. Then to tick them off more I walk away without buying anything. Don't approach me unless I ask you about the product. People like to browse without pressure. That lady shouldn't put pressure on people to apply her product. Did she also apply a warning to the candle that if applied at the same temperature as the melting pool could seer your skin right off?

OK. I went back and got their card and I had not walked to the other end of the street. OMG:shocked2: there was nother one at that end! He was alot more of a pressure seller. When I walked up he said: "Put your finger in my soy candle". I just said no thanks and got a business card. Both of these vendors have websites. I am going to check them out later today. Both of them had brochures that stated that their candles could be used as lotion. I guess they have insurance for B&B products also! :whistle: The candles were also colored so I guess all the dyes were skin safe????:laugh2:

I am thinking of doing this festival next year, but not sure. Is there any info online that officially states or warns that soy candles should not be used as lotion? I know the people that head up this Festival and I know they would not like it if they knew what these vendors were doing was false!

Did she also apply a warning to the candle that if applied at the same temperature as the melting pool could seer your skin right off?

No warning label for using them as lotion. Only the candle burning warning!

Im real sure the FDA would love to see that candle maker.

Bruce

Yea...unfortunately the FDA is too busy kissing the butts of the big drug companies to pass their very un-safe and barely tested drugs to even pay attention to something like this...:tiptoe:

:laugh2:I TOTALLY AGREE

This is from the Homepage of one of their websites:

At ______________________, every candle is handmade to order by our staff of artisans. We use only 100% soy wax in all of our candles. Every candle is made with tempered glass and can withstand heats of over 500 degrees and colds of -150 degrees. We fragrance, color and pour each candle by hand. This specially formulated wax, tempered glass, quality control, and attention to detail is reflected in our spotless safety record. Another great feature of our candles is that the wax can be used as a lotion. We use all skin-safe fragrances, and the wax has a melting point of 105 degrees, so you can dip your finger into the melted wax and rub it into your hands just as you would any lotion.

What about the dye? Hmmmmmmm

Please send them my way. I sell LOTS of these. But mine are skin safe fragrance and no color. My distributor just ordered another 100. So I guess people do like them.

Am I hearing you correctly? You sell your soy candles as lotion? Do you use 1-2% Fragrance load? Because from what I have read about B&B that is what you are suppose to use with the lotion bases. Maybe a more experienced B&B person can chime in here.

Please send them my way. I sell LOTS of these. But mine are skin safe fragrance and no color. My distributor just ordered another 100. So I guess people do like them.

Well you are selling them (saw your site) the right way.. if a person were to make and sell them. First you don't really call them candles, what is it... "Body dips" so you are officially excluded from most of the comments on this thread. You tell them to blow out the candle and use the wax that way. WE are taking about freaks that just take their regular soy candle with 8% fragrance oil and slap it on a persons skin. Yours is not a bad idea since most good massage oils tend to go bad because of the oils like grape seed that go bad fast. I have a box full of massage oils in the basement that went to crap on me and smell rancid. I don't even think I could salvage the glass jars they are so bad. 100 candles is kind of a small order for a distributor, I would think it would be much larger.

As long as your using the correct amount of scent, I don't see anything wrong with your product... I don't know if I would rub soy wax on my skin myself, but probably nothing wrong with it.

Bruce

Yes. Our our made the same way we would make our massage oil. Only 1% fragrance b&b safe) and no color. We also have two warning lables on them as well. We sell quite a few to, as most would say "unmentionable stores" :whistle:

Well that is different than what these sellers are doing. You are doing it the right way they are not!