Firestarters in Wood Stoves

you cannot use a liquid firestarter in a wood stove(gas, kerosene,lighter fluid, petroleum based products.. I actually found a blurb reccomending fire starters

Start a Fire with Fire Starter: Independent research indicates that using a fire starter to start a fire in a wood stove can cut particulate emissions by more than 69 percent.

things made with wax and saw dust etc.. are approved for woodstove usage

• Thumbs Up 1

• 16 years later...

I have a wood stove with chimney liner and would not use fire starters from wax. The chimney liner was very expensive to install so not interested in any issues with it.

Wax firestarters are fine outdoors, but would be hesitant to use inside after the cost of lining chimney.

I would be concerned with residue / soot in the fire starter smoke attaching to the cold inner fire box and chimney.  Most fire starters are not meant to burn “well”, just get a fire going. when the chimney is cold the excess greasy soot can attach vigorously and layer on  cold surfaces. This might be minor, like burning pine or other sappy resinous wood, or might burn off when the fire reaches peak temp. No way to know without some close chimney inspection.

I would treat leftover candle wax fire starters like a unseasoned dirty wood - with care.  Cleaning sticky residue and creosote from inside a chimney is a dirty job. Repairs to chimneys are often costly. Personally, I choose cleaner burning materials for inside, and save the wax fire starters for campfires and bonfires outside.

• Thumbs Up 1