My very first candle what a disaster...I love it!!! (burn pic added)

kdmorgan

I finally had a chance to make my first candle Saturday night and WHAT a disaster. It all started with the mold. I only have 1oz samples of FO but the mold I bought needed almost 2lbs of wax. I decided to make a smaller candle in the large mold because I really wanted it to smell good and I really wanted to make a candle!

The first thing I did was prime my wick and then I threaded it through the mold then started to screw in the wick screw and snapped the end off the wick! After doing that twice I finally got my mold rigged up.

I decided to use candy corn FO and use my orange dye block (don't have a lot of supplies yet). Well ,my son came in and started looking at the sunflower dye I had and ended up setting it right next to where I was working. You guessed it, I put the sunflower in instead. Well if that wasn't bad enough, I decided to add a little black to darken it up (not the best idea I've ever had).

You would think after all that the bad luck would be over. After all the only thing left is to pour the candle and let it set up, right? NOPE! I was so excited about seeing my ugly candle that I tryed to pull it out of the mold too soon and pulled the wick right out :laugh2: . I rethreaded the wick went to put my wick tab on and I couldn't even find them. This is one of the ugliest candles I have ever seen. This picture actually makes it look better but for some reason I just love it!:D

I LMAO every time I picture myself Forrest Gumping it around the kitchen and thought you guys might enjoy it too. I always wondered what perfect candle everyone made that got them hooked on this but now I'm guessing it was probably more of a determination to get it right. More supplies are on the way as we speak!

[ATTACH]8038[/ATTACH]

post-4460-139458407961_thumb.jpg

I have seen much much worse from people that can not say it is their first! Loved the story...just cracked me UP!

Keep at it....I think your candle would look great in my cabin! It has a very rugged look to it! I like it!

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the encouragement. Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to post something a little more eye-pleasing.

Actually it looks like the color I use for my banana nutbread candles, not bad. ;)

Of course I know it doesn't really "go" with candy corn, but hey, like Michael and Scented said, I've seen much worse than that, I actually like it myself, so it's not a total disaster although I know what you mean, cuz the getting to this point WAS the disaster. LOL ;)

Welcome to your new addiction!! :D

It looks kind of like banana nut bread,(guess Michi and I were writing at the same time - only I was slower..lol.) uh humm I mean candy corn. :D I have had my fair share of rejects that looked much worse than your first ever thought about.

I think that for many people, their first pillar pour has a little bit of apprehension to go along with a bit of excitement. I know mine did.

It will get easier with each one unless you do like I do and keep coming up with other new "ideas" right in the middle of the pour. :grin2:

I think it's got a lot of character.

You did a great job!

I started with pillars. You never know what you may be pulling out of that mold.:smiley2: The color in the picture is cool. It looks kind of rustic too, not sure if that was what you were going for...

Thanks for the funny story I am LMAO!

Love your story. Just another example of whatever can go wrong will. For your 1st pillar I think you did great. One thing I have learned the very hard way - and more than once I'm ashamed to say - is to only have out the dye I am going to use. The balance live in another room. If there is any way to use the wrong dye I seem to be able to do it. LOL Now post a picture of it burning.

OK...I lit my candle and let it burn for 3 hrs. :o The wick is definately too small but I'm not sure why it's burning off center. I used a seamless mold but I didn't level the bottom. I only have one size wick right now so I'll have to order more before I can work on getting that right. :D Oh, I almost forgot, the flame was almost 3" high for the first 1/2hr of the burn :tongue2:

[ATTACH]8064[/ATTACH]

post-4460-139458408279_thumb.jpg

OK...I lit my candle and let it burn for 3 hrs. :o The wick is definately too small but I'm not sure why it's burning off center. I used a seamless mold but I didn't level the bottom. I only have one size wick right now so I'll have to order more before I can work on getting that right. :D Oh, I almost forgot, the flame was almost 3" high for the first 1/2hr of the burn :tongue2:

[ATTACH]8064[/ATTACH]

Wicks tend to move a little off center when burning, just move the wick back to center while burning.

Some wicks tend to have a high flame on the first burn, just trim the wick.

• 4 months later...

I was just looking through the candle gallery seeing al the candles I missd over the last couple months & came across this one.....LOL...As I was reading I was saying " I dis that too" LOL Like when you added the wrong color, i always forgot my F.O. Would get excited to get in mold & completely forget the Scent. Or so excited to see the finished product, tug on the wick & pull it completely out of the candle..LOL..I did that!!..LOL

You'll learn as you go..i'm still learning..making mistakes as I go..lol, but thats how you learn!!!

Kay