Select Shades

MsDammit

Purple Velvet, Lemon Yellow, Electric Kiwi, Marmalade, Violet Red, Aquamarine, False Blue, Muted Red....that is what came in my basic pack.

They offer a color chart on the website that shows you how to make a gazillion (yes, I said gazillion) different colors with the basic kit. I love my Select Shade colors.

Has anyone had any problems with Select Shades? I remember reading that there were possible problems with contamination. I had heard very good things about them and would like to try them, but am leary because of possible problems.

Ann M

Has anyone had any problems with Select Shades? I remember reading that there were possible problems with contamination. I had heard very good things about them and would like to try them, but am leary because of possible problems.

Ann M

I read that at about the time I got my order of them in. It freaked me out and I was apprenhensive about using them. I tested with them alot before I felt comfortable. I have had no problems with them at all. I would think whatever problems they might have had have been cleared up since there is a liability factor there for the company.

I'm the only one I think that HATES!!!! SS :tiptoe:

I have used them several times w/ HORRIBLE luck. EX: just last night I was layering yellow, orange, and then wht. All the colors poured perfect in the mold, this am when unmolded the 2 bottom colors were reversed and differ shades. My oils were light and no olive oil in the recipe. I did a batch today, the oils w/ yellowish, I added yellow and the soap is now a nasty shade of red/orange. I can go on and on. :mad:

I have used them several times w/ HORRIBLE luck. EX: just last night I was layering yellow, orange, and then wht. All the colors poured perfect in the mold, this am when unmolded the 2 bottom colors were reversed and differ shades. My oils were light and no olive oil in the recipe. I did a batch today, the oils w/ yellowish, I added yellow and the soap is now a nasty shade of red/orange. I can go on and on. :mad:

That is the pits! Have you tried to call the company to see if they have any suggestions? :undecided I wish I had some for you.

I swirled with those colors and they did great - of course I can't tell if they reversed LOL but they sure were pretty. But I have had difficulty with trying for a red-orange and a burgundy-purple - think maybe my monitor is off so the color I thought I would get was different than the formula made.

Sounds strange to me....I use the chart to mix mine and have yet to get something other than what I wanted. Maybe soap goblins. :D

I specifically pulled up the charts online last night and followed the directions to a "T", that's why the shades were perfect in the mold (yellow on the bottom, next orange, then wht). This am the bottom looked orange and the middle layer looked like kiwi yellow (which to get the orange I wanted was using that and muted red). Now tonight the colors look almost like identical shades of yellow ~ so disappointing.

Curious does anyone use these dyes and OP there soap. That's what I did last night, as layers 1 and 2 were poured 2 hrs apart and I was afraid they wouldn't stick together.

Grumpy Girl, remember the soap you did, I think LMAOver, and the red went to the top and the rest of the bar was white, did you OP that batch?? I'm just trying to figure out what causes this morphing of color.... is it excessive, prolonged heat?? I'm grasping for answers to try to understand :undecided .

I checked my notes on the LMAOver Maryann... I didn't OP it, but it gelled as usual, but I didn't note it get any hotter than any of my other gelled batches. I chalked it up to a reaction with the FO. I haven't made a batch of LMAOver since that one, but I'll be making one this week so I'll see how it does and report back if something strange happens.

I generally used to OP just about all my batches using the SS for color and I didn't note anything out of the ordinary. I also got the colors I was striving for. I quit doing that and prefer not to gel my soap anymore with exception to one or two special batches.

My soap fairy is missing, anybody seen her?