Molds

Hi all! I don't know if this has ever been done but Im willing to get a few "look in the archives" answers on this. What are the best kinds of molds to work with for pillars? As far as ease of using, ease of sliding the finished product out of the mold, pouring etc. Do you like those polycarbonate molds or are metal molds better? Do you prefer seamless or ones with seams? Come on folks and answer this little poll. Thanks!:D

Used plastic moulds for a few years but they scratch up inside too easily & can stain with some dyes. Finally got hold of some seamless aluminium moulds & love them. I like the versatility of the tin moulds as far as shapes go but don't like the rust.

Sally.

As quite a new candle maker i started off with polycarbs as they're easier and cheaper in the UK. I like them, but i do have to be careful with scent and colour etc. I've tried a few seamless aluminuim and i like those too. They seem to take the scent much better and are less easily damaged. However i do love polycarbs simply as they're clear! I can have a good idea of what a candle looks like before it sets and so make alterations, such as alterin the colours in a layer, or making sure the chunks are positioned well. So i like em both!! Also more cool shapes with polycarbs and find they're easier to pre-wick!!!! Not really used rubber moulds much, so not sure about those.

Thank you all for your responses. I have one more question. I was looking at Peaks and they have flat topped and concave topped molds. I asked them what the difference was and they said the flat topped one wouldn't stand straight when pouring and the concave would. Doesn't that seem to be backwards?

Thank you all for your responses. I have one more question. I was looking at Peaks and they have flat topped and concave topped molds. I asked them what the difference was and they said the flat topped one wouldn't stand straight when pouring and the concave would. Doesn't that seem to be backwards?

Maybe what they were talking about was using them with pillar wick pins. The wick pin base is slightly cone shaped and when placed under the concave one it would be a better fit.