Liquid Soap (Body Gel) Picture Heavy - for you Hibiscus

LaVida

Okay...so I had to pull out my book by Failor ...(and dust it off...hachoo)

Now it states that to neutralize, you don't need to use all the options of borax, citric & boric acid...you can choose one of them. Is that right? But borax will thicken & neutralize at the same time.

correct - only one is needed - borax takes care of it all and it maked it thick/gel like - I love it. (I'll probably use citric acid in my childrens castille soap).... this is why I went straight to the Shower & Body Gel directions.. forgot the page #....

no, I haven't tried bubbble bath yet.... There's a special recipe I want to try in the book that calls for a few ounces of shredded sodium soap.... I made a 2 lb 100% pure organic coconut oil slab for this purpose......

9751-vi.jpg

443b-vi.jpg

a17fre2-vi.jpg

b948re2-vi.jpg

yeah, I saw that too.. try it! Try it!:yay: and let me know how it goes. I'd love to try my hand at it soon too.

Maybe next month, because that was 2 weekends for one batch of soap..*lol*... I have 12 hours of braiding to do this weekend..... all these "projects" <-- that one benefits me though *l*

no, I haven't tried bubbble bath yet.... There's a special recipe I want to try in the book that calls for a few ounces of shredded sodium soap.... I made a 2 lb 100% pure organic coconut oil slab for this purpose......

I've never read the book but in one of my experiments with thickeneing the soap, I shredded some of my soap and cooked it until it was mostly dissolved and then put it in a jar and let it finish. It came out awesome! and one thing about it is it solved my problem of keeping my soap clear. Although I didn't mind the opaque look whenever I added my FO, I lose very little clarity when I do this and it thickens it so nicely and oh the lather is like shampoo...I used it as a shower gel/soap and I can see how it could easily be used for bubble bath. And all this time I thought it was my secret..LOL I would post a pic of the bar soap/LS mix but I haven't resized it yet. So far I've used to different bar soaps. One was a Shea butter and the other was AKO and shea butter.

LaVida, what a great trip it was to go from picture to picture!!! That is just wonderful!

Some questions. How easy/hard is it to scent (after liquid soap is made) and is there a smell to the end soap?

I have tried a few different all natural liquid soap bases and they have this funky smell that is hard to cover, is this what happens when you make liquid soap? Would love to know.;)

I use the 33% borax solution (made of 6 oz of boiled distilled water to 2 oz borax).. then only 2 tbs of the solution per lb of soap... you use this to emulsify, thicken, and neutralize (<-- this is most important)..... If your soap isn't neutralized it will be at a high ph of 12 - 13... 10 is good and it stays at 10.

I forgot to ask whether or not the borax gels your soap? I like gel but I prefer a thick liquid. The shredded soap really does make a difference in the thickness and the soap is richer. Also, what is the purpose of the alcohol, again?

Skip the first question. I found the borax and tested it. It is indeed gel!..LOL feeling kinda special right now...

LaVida, what a great trip it was to go from picture to picture!!! That is just wonderful!

Some questions. How easy/hard is it to scent (after liquid soap is made) and is there a smell to the end soap?

I have tried a few different all natural liquid soap bases and they have this funky smell that is hard to cover, is this what happens when you make liquid soap? Would love to know.;)

Thank you.. I enjoyed posting it. It's very easy to scent... I measure out what I need (of the final product) then put it in the microwave for a couple seconds - just to warm it so the honey I add will be incorporated well. Then I add my dye's and colors... The scent isn't hard to cover up at all... Depending on what FO's you use and what distributor you get them from.... I have experienced a distinct smell with the base I have used as well.... I know what you mean.

I forgot to ask whether or not the borax gels your soap? I like gel but I prefer a thick liquid. The shredded soap really does make a difference in the thickness and the soap is richer. Also, what is the purpose of the alcohol, again?

Skip the first question. I found the borax and tested it. It is indeed gel!..LOL feeling kinda special right now...

That's ok. *s*.... I actually had to ponder the question... I thought thick soap always looked like gel sort of... *l*.... Well I guess if you look at shampoo that's like a thick soap....but them again that's not really soap... *l*

The alcohol is to aid in diluting... it makes the process quicker. It evaporates so none will be left in the soap...

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing LaVida. Those pictures are great! Another addition to the list of things I've gotta try! j

Also, thanks for including the name of the book...I read all the way thru and then back up looking for that, and you had it in the first post! I've been up way too long.

Lisa

Thanks for sharing LaVida. Those pictures are great! Another addition to the list of things I've gotta try! j

Also, thanks for including the name of the book...I read all the way thru and then back up looking for that, and you had it in the first post! I've been up way too long.

Lisa

it's a painstakingly loooooooooong process, but worth it..... :grin2:

• 2 months later...