Addicted Newbie!

Hi Everyone,

Addicted Soy Newbie here, I just started my candle venture and I must say I'm already addicted, excited and confused. So many scents, waxes and wicks. I have already tried 3 soy waxes and I still don't know which to use, any suggestions or favorites? I have been reading the post and this site ROCKS!!! everyone is so helpful and full of information I'm so glad I found you !

Linda :yay:

Hi Linda,

Welcome to the board. You are going to love it here everyone is so helpful and there is so much reading and information to be found here. I don't use a straight soy wax I found it to be a PITA lol I love Green Leaf's 70/30 blend it is wonderful.

I ventured over to GL's 70/30 as well but I'm within driving distance so easy choice. 100% soy has been tricky for me to work with...a lot of appearance issues mainly. Yes, the scents are addicting and I had two large orders come in today and not enough wax now to use them all, hehe. For newbies still trying to decide is when you pick a wax to tackle find out what wicks are recommended for it and then get a sampler pack. You want to have those various size wicks on hand to try when one doesn't work. I'd also stick with 1-2 jars you want to try...believe it or not that'll keep you busy for a while. REad as much as you can on here...do searches, very useful info. So far everyone has been very helpful to me and response quickly! I've only been at it a month and still testing for my containers but i've learned so much along the way that I'm recognizing what the issue is & how to attempt to fix.

Wow....thanks everyone for all your input, I spent the whole day reading all the post it was awesome and full of info. I agree about the Soy wax being somewhat difficult to work with, lots of wet spots and crater tops. I have never thought about the soy/para blends that might be an options but I'm not ready to give up on the soy just yet...I will keep you posted on my progress or lack of whichever comes first. :rolleyes2

I too am an addicted newbie. So, so, addicted. I use EzSoy.... and I do not use dye (for now). It isn't the prettiest thing..... however...a month ago I ordered 100% colorless soy candles from a candle co. and I have to say that EzSoy looks better than the soy they used!! So....as I have been told (and learning), it's just the nature of soy. I am going to continue using straight soy for now (till I get the itch to spend more $) but in the future I am going to test adding beeswax....and also do a blend with 4627 (I am anxious to try this).

There's so much info to read.... and so many nice folks to help!!

Happy learning!

pixi

Thanks Pixisprkl...let me know how that combo works for you. I'm glad to hear that you purchased other soy candles that had the same issues. I would really like to start selling my candles...(once I get it all worked out)...but was concerned about the appearance, maybe I should be a little more forgiving and not sweat it so much.....:cheesy2:

Yeah... the soy isn't too pretty. Before I began learning and making tarts, I purchased soy candles from 2 different co. The first had wonderful smooth candles, the second had nice looking candles till you burned them and they set back up. ...then they looked horrid :smiley2: The 1st co.'s label says "soy-wax blend" and now... I know this means it isn't 100% soy. Not a biggie for me... I don't care. But then I ordered the 100% soy....and I can see why people blend to make it look nicer.

I don't think people really care. And you could always offer both...

I wouldn't sweat it.....:D

Thanks Pixisprkl...let me know how that combo works for you. I'm glad to hear that you purchased other soy candles that had the same issues. I would really like to start selling my candles...(once I get it all worked out)...but was concerned about the appearance, maybe I should be a little more forgiving and not sweat it so much.....:cheesy2:
Keep in mind that before you start selling, it is a good idea to do thorough testing. Every scent acts different in wax. Good luck.:)

You can say that again...I have been testing, testing and more testing. Tried 4 different kinds of soy wax so far, found Natures Wax C-3 to make the most attractive candles but found that Enchanted-Lites burns the best...mixed the two together and did not like the results...so I'm back with C-3.

I also tried quite a few different FOs from...did I say quite a few...more like a ton and found CS,NG and my favorite Aroma Haven the best!.

Wicks, Wicks and more Wicks...tried Eco wicks, LX, and wicks from

Candle Wealth, I actually like the CW wicks the best...nice tight braid on them but found that all the wicks created Schrooms no matter what I did.

I have poured at various different temperatures and found it is best to add FOs hotter and pour cooler and have poured into various glass and jj of all shapes and sizes and have settled on the bulb jars and orderd a few dozen of them unitl I realized it is a logistical nightmare to put any kind of label on the front of them...oh well...you live and learn. Thanks everyone for all your help...I hope that I will soon be able to do the same for someone else.

:cool2:

Greetings :wave:and welcome to the "joy of soy". Where abouts in this lovely state of ours are you?? I am in Citrus County, on the Gulf coast.

Anyway, all I can say is.....take your time and don't overwhelm yourself w/too much testing of too many things at the same time- but most importantly....HAVE FUN :highfive:.

Ask away. Search away. There is alot of great info and super people here.

Hi iammommy,

I'm on the east coast Palm Beach County....I have had a heck of a time finding local distributors best I could do is FloridaSoySolutions.com just north of orlando and they do not have all the supplies I need...so I have been reaching out to AL, GA and KY to get supplies. How about you...any luck with local distributors?

Hi lsbennis,

Like Sherri I too live in Florida right next to Disney Worlds mouse house!

I was going to use Florida Soy Solutions since they are only 20 minutes from me but he was closed last week for the birth of their new baby.

I ended up getting my wax Golden Brands 444 from Soycandle.com- http://www.soycandle.com/ along with my wicks. I get my fragrances from Natures Garden http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/

I also bought some of the most wonderfull little things called Wick Centering Tools from Bitter Creek Candle Supply- http://secure.candlesupply.com/catalog_page.cfm?queries_index=index7&ProductCodeID=46&ProductSubCodeID=231

All of these folks are so wonderfull to deal with and some even sent me free samples. I still think I am going to try out Florida Soy Solutions since I can pick it up from him but I am still going to use the GB 444 as my main wax as it has a beautiful finish.

Good luck from one addicted newbie to another:)

I bought these:

wbkhold - Black Plastic Wick Holder Clip

wWct-lg - LG Wick Centering Tool for Containers

wwickcent - Wick Center/Holder

I really love the ound one for small jelly and mason jars and

it works on some of the apothacary jars two. These are so much better than clothes pins.

The Bitter Creek folks are really nice too!