Fragrance dilema-JS Fragrances

Tracey

Having a bit of a fragrance dilema and looking for a little advice/insight. I ordered a bunch of fragrance samples from JS. One order about a month ago and the other I got last week..So far I am not finding that they are throwing that well or at all in my KY125. A couple have done okay after 6-7 days of curing…..not sure I want to wait that long….I have a few more poured up to test and many more I haven’t put into wax yet…..

My dilemma-since I haven’t had much luck with throw so far, is it worth my time and wax to test the others I have or should I try to find similar scents through another supplier?

To pour: Poured:

Bayberry Apple Spice and Holly-good throw-odd smell

Appleberry Spice Cashmere-no throw after 6 days

Captivatingly Currant Frosted Ginger Mint – light throw-6 days

Country Christmas My Secret recipe – need to burn again

Festival of Lights Mystique – need to burn again

Grapefruit Mint Rhapsody Pink Peppercorn – finally starting to throw/6 days

Green tea and Cucumber Pink Bombshell – very light, need to burn again

Lemon Magnolia Yuzu – slight fuel

Lemon Sugar Exhale – light, could burn again now

Mediterranean Fig

Provocative

Satsuma

Sunkissed Currants

Sweet orange Pomegranate

Santirini

Sandalwood and Bee Blossom

Anyone have luck/no luck with any of the fragrances listed above in soy/cottonseed? I really like these Fo’s OOB and was so hoping at least some of these would work for me….

Thanks for any help!

Tracey

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may seem like you are in the minority here, but believe me, you are not. JS oils do not throw for everyone, regardless of what type of wax they are added to. If after a 6 day cure you still aren't getting a throw from some of them, I would move on to another oil. I do not cure my candles as a regular part of my testing. I don't have the time to do so. I understand that with soy, this is a must, and I do not use soy, so you can take my opinion and toss it if ya want, but I can tell you that except for 2 oils from JS, I have had zero luck with them, and have had to move on. OOB the scents were delightful, but once in wax, they might as well have not even existed. Light throw at BEST, and I couldn't live with that. I demand much better performance for my business. Good Luck to you.

I wouldn't. Too long of a cure time and if the majority is not working to your satisfaction, then I wouldn't waste anymore wax and wicks.

Not sure what are all the ingredients in El Soy Mill but I have the same results....poor hot scent throw.

If you do B&B products like bath melts, bath bombs or dead sea salts, as long as they are lotion/body safe, I would use them in that instead.

SP:smiley2:

Thanks to both of you!!!! I have read many mixed reviews on throw and thought I'd try for myself...

I do bath n body and yes, some would be wonderful in that application......

Now, to find some similar scents from my other suppliers......

Tracey

Hi Angela-

I have been using between 8 and 10% depending on the FO. I have gotten a couple to throw after the longer cure time, and some not at all-it's just too many that aren't at all.....

Tracey

If you were using 6%, I would have suggested trying it with more FO. But if you're already using 8% and not getting a good throw after curing, then it's time to move on. Not everything works for everyone. Some of her scents are great for B&B though, so at least they won't go to waste :)

Hey again Angela-

I will use some for the B&B stuff. I do love the FO's, just wish they did better....

Like I said before-now I have to find some of these with my other suppliers.....I should be able to find a few of them....

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

I'm in the same boat as you. I've tried a million of JS FOs and have only found 1 (Chestnuts and Brown Sugar) that throws for me. It's very dissapointing since they smell so fantastic OOB. I use paraffin, but I just can't get them to work for me. If you have a bunch, they do okay (like the other posters said) for B & B and ornies :) HTH.

D

Hi tart Addict-

I have a bunch of 1oz samples. I have learned the hard way to start with the samples---but there is enough to maybe a few bars of MP or bottles of lotion....

I just haven't had so many not throw from one supplier.....

Tracey

i can't get them to throw for me either i use pure soy 415. they are great for b&b products.

try some of millcreek's oils they test each fo in soy and their cure time is 24 hours, of course the longer they sit the stronger they get, you always get a decent to great throw in 24 hours.

Dang...and I just ordered from them...didn't realize a lot of you were having issues with their FO. Which is interesting because in her description she claims on certain ones it throws great in soy and paraffin. Anyone using GL's 70/30 with her oils and having good luck? I didn't order any oils on the OP (original poster's) list...mine were a lot heavier oils I think.

Same here...it's VERY hit or miss. One scent might blow the doors off in paraffin and nothing in my parasoy blend and the next scent is strong in parasoy and nothing in paraffin. Some do get much better after a long cure, but I don't have time to wait. The longest I will allow for any supplier scent is 4 days and that is only if I feel a scent is extra special and sells well enough to keep stock poured. The rest are 2 days max.

Becky at JS , is very helpful, but for some reason the fo's i order from JS , don't always do well in my parsoy wax, out about 30 samples i think i have 3 scents thats was strong and have customers for. mojito cocktail, chestnuts & brownsugar , hyacinth chula orchid and country clothes line. i just ordered 6 2oz samples , butterscotch candy, 2 different coconuts, buttercreme hazelnut, mai tai cocktail and fruit slices , only the fruit slices had a little throw and i can't keep buying scents for some reason don't work for me or in my wax. it could be something i'm doing or my wax. because lots have raved about their good scent throw with js.

I think we all agree on Chestnuts and Brown Sugar from JS...it rocks in all waxes. However, like someone else said good ole Bec's scents are very hit or miss. I thought I was going to be able to use her cinnmon bun,Fruit slices and lilac...they did ok. My regular customers knew right away that I wasnt using my normal FO. I have "candlenose" and couldnt really tell the difference, but my customers sure could.

I say cut your losses and move on. There are plenty other suppliers out there that have great FO's.

Have you tried KY? Mill Creek? Peak? Tristate? Southern Sensations? I know there are soy makers on this board that have had great success with the FO's from these suppliers.

Good Luck

I have great luck with JS scents. But have been through what you are experiencing with other suppliers.

It's a hit or miss with some suppliers and other suppliers, everything seems to work!

My favs are JS, KY, Wendy (not a supplier, but does pre-buys), Daystar, Millcreek, Tri-State, BCN (Bubble's n' Lights/WYW stuff), TCS, Lonestar.

A perfect world would be one supplier with everything! It'll never happen!

My experience with JS is a bit different; everything I got was specifically for B&B. I soaped lots of them and they did well. They were awesome in scrubs, soaps, lotions and creams too. Perhaps they should change their focus?

IMO I think it would add more value if when posting your likes or dislikes with specific suppliers/scents to be more specific in how you're using the oil...candles, b&b, soap, etc... Especially with candles, what kind of wax you're using. For some reason I heard a lot of good reviews on JS which got me to try them. Now it could of been it worked better for non-candles and I might of assumed they used in candles so my bad for not asking & just assuming. I haven't received my oils yet but I will post my likes and dislikes with it in my wax.

IMO I think it would add more value if when posting your likes or dislikes with specific suppliers/scents to be more specific in how you're using the oil...candles, b&b, soap, etc... Especially with candles, what kind of wax you're using. For some reason I heard a lot of good reviews on JS which got me to try them. Now it could of been it worked better for non-candles and I might of assumed they used in candles so my bad for not asking & just assuming. I haven't received my oils yet but I will post my likes and dislikes with it in my wax.

SOrry to tell ya, but if you use soy....you will have a lot of bad reviews.:sad2:

I purchased FO's from JS also - when i got them, i dont know i wasnt impressed by the 'not' so rich smell....like BC, etc....some i didnt try & sold on Ebay - and I'm wanting to try a couple of them in my SOY before i :tiptoe: Am glad it wasnt just me either, but yep the customers know best too!!

I will say my best suppliers are Bitter Creek, The Candle Source(Loren), Alabaster & Natures Garden - - they are the ones I'm sticking too like glue:)

~Carlena~

My experience with JS is a bit different; everything I got was specifically for B&B. I soaped lots of them and they did well. They were awesome in scrubs, soaps, lotions and creams too. Perhaps they should change their focus?

I'm with you. I use JS oils for B&B too & am very pleased. Maybe you are right about a focus change.

One thing I have noticed is JS FO's are so thin, almost like water. Yet when I get oils from every other supplier they are thicker, more like a syrup. A few are really thick. I have always wondered why so thin, what do they use different as a carrier oil than everyone else? Not saying they are cut cause I have tried many different suppliers scents I don't think throw and they were thicker.