Flat braids in paraffin pillars

Currently I'm testing square braids in paraffin pillars (with the small bit of testing before I used LXs).

For those that use the flats - do you have any trouble with lop-sided meltpools (that can lead to blowouts)? I use them many times for tapers and I know I'll have to try them in pillars - but I don't want to have to coax a wick to get it to burn centered.

TIA

Oh thats right ... the twisted queens right ? Now I remember!

ChrisR recently posted he twits them also.

I'm wondering if I would have a problem though as I use pins. I guess I could twist them after priming them?

Second question - how often do you feel you need to trim them to get a good burn without the flame getting too high ? (Or does it not do that even if you burn them for more than 3 hours?)

(The only time I used flat braids in pillars was in BW - and I wasn't too happy at the time so thats why all the questions). Thanks for putting up with them!

ChrisR is a she, and a fellow twister, LOL. Henry, I pre-wick my molds, so

it's a bit different. I doubt that you could do the same thing after the fact and the gap caused by the hole affects the burning. I need a trim after 3 hours or so.

You know I knew that from way back when too - but everytime I see "ChrisR" I think of a guy I actually know!

Re the wick - yes, see what you mean. Its good to learn that you also trim after 3 hours. With the square braid (1/0) in 4045H it seems like I need to do that for the first 2 burns, then I can get away it for longer - so far almost 5 now on this 4th burn. I'm not sure this will be my wick of choice for paraffin pillars (much more testing to do) but so far I'm OK with them.

Thanks all.

I use the pins also and have tried to think of a good way to use the twisted flat braid method. Twisting the wick is easy enough, but there is nothing to hold it steady and keep it twisted, after installing it in the hole that's created by the wick pin.

I've considered injecting a small amount of wax into the hole at the top after the wick has been installed with a twist and seeing it that would hold it. I just haven't tried it yet.

A few weeks ago,I made some 24, 30, and 36's for my pillars and I waxed them instead of leaving them raw. I have used them that way and haven't had a problem with the wick leaning to one side enough to create a blowout yet. However, my testing has not yet been extensive. (only several to date)

The mad scientist part of me will likely test my (inject a bit wax in the top) idea, just to see if it would work. :smiley2: It should be easy enough to test it. I had a surgical procedure on my back recently (july 21rst) and am just now getting back to feeling like pouring another candle, so I have yet to do the test.

Hmmm... when I prime my wicks I let them sit until the bubbles stop - then pick them up and run off the extra wax and then hold them up to the air conditioner :)

They come out stiff as a board. I'm wondering if they would STAY twisted...

I'll have to try it one day unless you guys beat me to it !

Henry, I have been testing ECO wicks in my containers. To keep the wick straight I have been cutting the ECO wicking to size as soon as I finish priming it then twisting the dickens out of it. I hold both ends until the wax dries. Seems to help hold the twist. Think I'll try Scented's idea of dipping th wick again after twisting. Sure has helped the burn in my containers. Now I'll have to make a pillar and try to thread a twisted wick through the wick pin hole. That might be real interesting since the twisted wick really has a larger diameter.

When I was playing with pillars, I tried to pre-twist the wick for use with a wick pin. I dipped the wick until the bubbles stopped then pulled the wick out and twisted until the twist was as tight as I could get it. Held for a few seconds for the wax to set. They stayed twisted but were a bugger to get in the hole. I think that was the point I gave up on pillars. I probably still have some of those pillars and the wicks aren't even blackened yet.

Hi, been reading this post as i have a similar problem. Anyway what's this about twisting? I have read it before, but wasnt quite sure what ppl meant. I pre-wick my moulds w a primed wick, so do i twist the whole length of the wick? If so how tightly? Or do i just twist the top? Should i prime the wick and twist?

Hope ppl can help!

Thanks

OK I just tried it out and I think this might work for twisting flat ply (since i am finally getting around to wicking today). Anyway, prime the wick, twist it tightly and hold till it is pretty much stuck in place. I prime with beeswax. It didn't take long. Then a quick over dip, quick smoothing off of some built up beeswax, a little dry time and the 27fp threaded through my wick pin hole, didn't lose the twist (though I twisted tightly). Was glad I didn't have to try to scratch out a bigger hole.

The whole process didn't take long at all.

Henry, are you using square braid or flat ply? Either way, I twist both types and anchor it to the mold and pour into the mold. I don't use wick tabs with my pillars, When you repour the wick is buried about 1" from the end. If I use LX they are already primed and tabbed so then I just use wick pins. I think the LX burn very similar to the flat ply but the square braid burns totally different.

Its on my list today to wicks some 3" pillars with flats today and burn them during the week. The LXs were the first wicks I tried in pillars - for me unfortunately the flames would get really tall though so thats when I went to the squares in paraffin pillars - been pretty happy with them but I only ever used the flats in tapers so thats why I was curious to see how they would burn in pillars.

Well, I have two 4045H pillars burning now (mottle tests) - both with with 30 ply flats. One twisted, one not - just to see what would happen. I was surprised that I easily was able to get a twisted 30 ply into the wick hole (I use the rods with the "Wick Centering Tool" for my pillars). Got stuck at one point, but another twist and it went right in.

:tiptoe:

Here's a pic - hope I twisted it enough?

post-98-139458407446_thumb.jpg

Twisting the wick (30 ply) produced horrible results for me. On the second three hour burn it went limp, leaned over, and nearly blew out the side. The untwisted one is burning fine. Perhaps for some reason you need to do this technique prewicked or perhaps the braid was damaged by the twisting.