Anyone with CB 135 experience-HELP!!

Friends, Please help me. I cannot get a throw from this wax.

Even the candles I have had made that have sat around for weeks...little throw. Absolutely not acceptable.

For testing, I'm not being difficult here...4 and 8 oz jelly jars, 1.5 oz FO pp mostly Candle Science's and NG's....very light pastel dyes.

LX wicks: 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21.....

HTP: 104, 105 Someone please give me a starting point and share your knowledge of how to make this sucker work!!

Exactly what is your cure time on this?

Should I consider adding Bees Wax...will it help with throw...OR shorten cure time?

THROW ME A BONE!!! I'LL TAKE ANY SUGGESTIONS! What the heck am I doing wrong! Why can't I do this one! arrrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fern-Marie

I don't use this wax, but I did test it for a while. I used scents from Peak and NG (like Ocean and Harvest Spice) and I got a pretty good throw. I cured for at least a week and used Eco and RRD wicks with generous amounts of liquid dye. I honestly don't know what to tell you. What temp are you adding Fo? That's really the only thing I can think of - maybe your adding FO at too low of a temp. Or possibly your wick is too large and that is affecting the throw. Maybe try a smaller HTP. CS and NG have good oils, so my first instinct wouldn't be that your oils are inferior. Sorry it isn't working well for you, I know how frustrating this is. :undecided

What scents are you using, some just don't throw in soy.

I have nearly all of CS's, with the exception of the mostly newer fragrances. I thought that the MacApple would be a good tester since it is a stronger scent...I'm barely getting a throw.

NG's, I have about 50 of them, and am about to do a pour of Jasmine.

I've tried Lemon, Lemongrass, Lemongrass with Sage, Citronella, Lavender, and a couple of others.

I heat to 175, add dye, and FO's at about 150-130...per CS's instructions when they talked me into switching to this wax 'cause it was sooo much easier to work with. Yeah, when?

I have tried every single LX wick and the suggested HTP 104 and 105.

???

I could scream!

The only thing I did differently than you (other than using different oils) was to add FO at a higher temp. I added FO around 170-175 and then let cool before pouring. The Fos you're trying may be lighter ones, but they should still throw at least a little. Do you have a knock-you-down FO you can test? I always know that certain FOs (like JS Cinnamon Roll or MC Hillbilly Homebrew) are super strong for me, so I try to test those in a new wax and see how the throw is. You may also want to PM Top - I know he worked pretty extensively with this wax.

The only thing I did differently than you (other than using different oils) was to add FO at a higher temp. I added FO around 170-175 and then let cool before pouring. The Fos you're trying may be lighter ones, but they should still throw at least a little. Do you have a knock-you-down FO you can test? I always know that certain FOs (like JS Cinnamon Roll or MC Hillbilly Homebrew) are super strong for me, so I try to test those in a new wax and see how the throw is. You may also want to PM Top - I know he worked pretty extensively with this wax.

Guess what, you might be right about the FO temp.

Another gal from the forum wrote to CS and asked them and they said 180!

If I find out that I have been struggling with this and the answer is the FO temp, I'll croak! lol

I pray that this is the problem. I'll give it a whirl.

I am also very concerned that this wax's cure time is said to be 3-4 weeks.

I dont' want a wax that takes that long to cure. That's just too much.

Thank you.

Fern-Marie

I'd never use a wax that required a two week cure time, nevermind 3-4 weeks. That is just not acceptable. But I got a good throw after about a week, though it did get a little stronger after I forgot about the candle and found it a month later, lol. I would try adding the scent higher. Hopefully that will solve your fragrance woes. Keep us posted on how it turns out :)

I use this wax and buy from CS. I was told to add my FO at around 165....some may need to be added at 180. I add it around 175 (8% FO) and let the candles cure a week and I get an awesome throw! Let us know if this cures your problem! :undecided

I know what you mean. I have been testing this and not happy with wicking. Down to CD10 in JJ with a vanilla crunch FO and still burns too fast for me. Did have good cold throw after a week burned after 2 weeks and hot throw is just OK. Could be just this FO does not work well with soy. FO added at 180 because it is one of the heavier oils.Nothing to write home about. I don't know what made me want to work with soy anyways. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, is usually my moto. My customers are happy the way my candles are now. God bless all the people that gets it to work for them, I guess I don't have the patience for it.

Thanks all!

I am going to batch some tomorrow and try in the 4 oz jelly jars.

I am going to try HTP 104s, and ADD FO AT 180*!! Anyone have any disagreements with that combo? Pleas speak up! lol

I'm at wicks end here. I have noticed that all of the wicks are kind of bouncy...none of them are steady and smooth like with other waxes I have used. It's a very odd, and unfamiliar behavior that I can't seem to conquer.

The whole time, I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the wicks, but jeese-louise...twelve of them!!

I really wish that I had asked sooner. All this time that I have been pulling my hair out with this wax was so unnecessary. What an odyssey this has been.

One more thing, do you know what size tea light wicks this takes?? TL 28, 25, 18, and 15, not giving long enough burns.

I truly appreciate the help, and I most definitely will keep you informed of the progress...because there will be progress or I'll die trying!

Thanks,

Fern-Marie

I feel your pain, Fern. I just got cb135 about 2 weeks ago. I'm using fo's that are supposed to be soy tested as strong. I got my wax from CS and have been using their wick guides. I bought sample packs of ALL their wicks. I have been adding my fo at a lower temp and will try again tomorrow adding at a higher. However, the waiting for cure time is driving me nuts. BTW, I also bought J223 and IGI 6006. I'm tired of this crap and will find something that works!

Luci, you don't know how close behind you I am!

Someone from CS told me that the FO temps would be just fine.

Perhaps I misunderstood.

So, let's try the higher temp thing to be fair to our own sense of sanity, and if that doesn't work, I will be done with it. I'm tired of stuff not working too!

This year has been disastrous, every new thing I have tried has been a mess.

I'm tired and discouraged.

So, good luck to both of us, and let's check back in a week and compare our results, ok?

Fern-Marie

I wish I had an answer but I too have had far too many problems with this. I have tested FO's that were suppose to be for use in soy. Tested in 8 oz straight sided containers, 5-9% FO, FO's used have been previously tested in soy, added at temps. from 130-175, I have tested CD, CDN, ECO, PK, RRD, LX, HTP wicks, I've cured from 3 days to 3 weeks before burning. I've tested with the AC on and with it off. I've tested in my home and other homes. Same results - poor scent throw. I can burn other candles in my home and smell them just fine. Even cheapie Walmart candles give a better throw than any of mine. The one and only thing that has made a slight bit of difference is the amount of curing time. The candles I have tested after 3 weeks of curing are giving a better scent throw than the ones after only 3 days but they still aren't great! I don't want to go back to paraffin but if I don't start getting better results with soy I think I am going to throw in the towel. Good luck ladies!

Hi,

I also have not had good luck with this wax, very very poor scent throw, I have switched to a different soy and tweaked it and am very happy now, no scent throw issues, good luck! If you figure this wax out, hats off to you!

Valerie

Well, I poured 5 today with 5 different wicks...all in the small 4 oz jjs.

I will pour a couple more tomorrow. I still have a couple of different sized wicks that I want to try before I climb to the top of the roof and jump!

I'm taking it slow and easy, slow and easy, slow and easy....:tiptoe:

I will definitely let everyone know how it went.