Wicks for Soy Wax

I'm a fairly experienced candlemaker but useing soy wax as a medium is new territory for me. I'm trying to find out what are the best wicks out there to use with soy wax before I place an order for sample packs of wicks. I have noticed at least 5 types out there that all claim to be the best with soy wax, I find that quite overwelming. I'm going to be making mostly jar candles, tin, and votive. I also may venture into the realm of tealights. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which ones to try or not to try. I'll take any and all as I begin my adventure into the land of soy wax.

:cool2:

Chrissy

It really depends on the type of wax you get. Are you planning on pillars and containers? LX works very good in pillars since it doesn't have much of a curl. The curling can make it seem like the pillar is wicked off center.

I really like the CD and CDN wicks because they are more likely to keep a consistent flame size for longer periods of time. And they tend to burn wider.

I like the premier 700 series for tealights.

HTH

I'm still finding that the HTPs and CDs just bend too much for me though MANY people love them.

Like Jeana said, what type of soy wax ? - it may give you clearer answers. (For example though I love LXs, I'm looking for something different for use with para/soy blends).

See if this link helps you decide:

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1086286389;start=4#4

(Its from the old board - so if doesn't go directly to post #4 - just look for the post by Lovesoy - an old board member - where she went crazy testing and posted here results!)

Don't overlook at least testing the zincs (believe it or not) in the parasoy blends. I'm sitting here looking amazed at a candle with zinc in Joywax which has ZERO mushrooming.

See if this link helps you decide:

http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1086286389;start=4#4

(Its from the old board - so if doesn't go directly to post #4 - just look for the post by Lovesoy - an old board member - where she went crazy testing and posted here results!)

thanx Henry- I never saw that post before.....I happen to use both RRD's and LX's myself. :cool2:

Also. Kat- I'm not sure about parasoy, but the 100% soy does require a larger wick than the soy/veggie types.

i use mostly cotton's from millcreek and the 1312 htp from millcreek.

i just recently got it the free wick it samples and done a mix of a very heavy vanilla bean & clove 1.5oz. pp in a 6.5oz 12 sided jar and i had to use the biggest wick of the 700 series, but no mushroom.

I use CD wicks exclusively. I tried the others and I just don't like having a core. I use beeswax coated wicks too as they seem to cooperate better for me even if they are a bit more in price. I use CD3 for tealights CD5 or 6 for my votives and the others for my containers. I'm hopeing to start making pillars and useing these wicks for those too - I just haven't gotten that far in my lil madlab experiments... :) If you want to try some CD wicks that are para coated, I have a few laying around from my testing days that you are welcome to have if you pay shipping. Nothing wrong with them - they are just in a plastic tub takeing up space on my shelf... let me know...

Life & Light!

Tish

• 2 weeks later...